Show me your Skateboard deck pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grainslayer, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Someone gave me an 80s Santa Cruz Jeff Kendall model skate deck today.im going to turn it into a pedal board.anybody have picks of what they have done with skate decks.i want to make some angled feet for it.also,not sure if I'm going to use Velcro or bike chain and screws.cheers.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Whereishumhum

Whereishumhum Member

Not a skateboard exactly, but I once did try turning a retired Earthwing Smoker longboard into my first pedalboard, didn't work. The concave and the rocker, and most importantly the bouncyness made the deck wobble with every stomp. Good thing for a carving/cruising deck, but I definitely did not want that for a pedalboard. Went ahead and bought my first pedaltrain.

Good luck though!

3. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

lots of pics in google images... was going to do it but the deck I had was pretty heavy.
    Cool idea though.

4. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

I'm thinking of building wooden legs that will stabalize the deck.it will also be slightly angled like my pedaltrain.the front facing side will almost be on the ground..im planning on using a one spot so all wires will be on top.also thought about a powerblock on the kicktail.the deck is old enough that it doesn't have a crazy amount of concave to it.im also going to sand the top down to bare wood so that will take some of the edge concave out.it should fit a single row of up to 6-7 pedals without a problem.Just figured I'd post up and see what you guys have built..I've been on a bit of a surf music kick lately and thought a skate deck pedalboard would fit right in..and it was free so wtf...lol..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Been doing this since the early 90's. I mount the trucks, but with wheels only on the back side which gives it a perfect angle and keeps it from moving at all. I also tighten the trucks down so the bushings are super tight preventing any movement. Top of the deck still has grip tape, but I cut two long strips out where I apply hook side velcro for mounting the pedals. Power supply can be mounted on top or bottom, but bottom is preferable.

For some reason I've never taken a pic of one, but I've built maybe 6 over the years.

6. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Damn..that's a good idea cutting the grip tape...I spent a fair bit of time removing all of it..now I wish I had left it on..oh well...

7. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Doesn't work so well on an old gripped deck, but with new tape it's easy, even if on the board already.