• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Show off your medium sized amps!

Oh brother have you opened a can of worms!

My favorite (all mine):

1966 Fender Twin Reverb, my first "bought it new" amp Sr year in High School. Still got it, sounds the same, INSANE!
Fender Twin Reverb 1966  front.jpg

1964 Fender Super reverb, bought it used late 65, but it wasn't loud enough for medium venues, so I bought the one above.
1964 Fender Super Reverb Amp -1.jpg

For Jazz/ Fusion/ R&B / Classic "Rock n Roll" this is the killer amp 1961 Tremolux, OMG the sweet tones from only 35 RMS Watts.
1961 Fender Tremolux Blonde.jpg

Had a hankering for some classic Brit tones, nothing beats a Vox AC 30. This is my 1965 Vox AC-30 Top Boost. I like some Marshalls, but sorry Marshalltoons, they don't come close to the tones of a vintage Vox AC.
1965 Vox AC-30 Top Boost.jpg

I also play bass, mostly recording gigs, and I've never found another Bass amp that comes close to the King in mellow and clean tones (though not loud) as the early 60's Fender Bassman amps. And it's a great Guitar amp too! 1962 Blonde Fender Bassman (not a reissue).
62 Fender Blonde Bassman.jpg

OK there are times you need that Marshall (we copied the Bassman) sound and it needs to be a combo with some modern touches. I've had many Marshalls, combo's and stacks and this is the only one I've kept. 1981 JCM800 50W Lead Series with Effects Loop. Still not a Vox, but it is sweet and harsh to for shredding, and the most reliable Marshall I've ever owned. And that is saying a lot.
Marshall JCM800 50W Combo Lead Series 1981.jpg

This is where the majority of my amps fall. I've only owned a couple 100 watters in well over 40 years, and both were solid states. On the other end, I've had a few more small amps then bigguns, but for tubes in particular I like the 30/40 to 60 watt range.

Here's the current stable of 30W-50W, of all types (solid state, hybrid, tube), in (hopefully) ascending order of wattage:

Vox AD30VT-XL, 30W hybrid 1x12:

Fender Super Reverb, 40W tube 4x10 (modded to two 2x10s):

Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 EXP, 40W tube 1x12:

Marshall DSL40C, 40W tube 1x12 (w/Creamback 75 speaker change):

Laney TF100 50w solid state 1x10:

Marshall 5210, 50W solid state 1x12:

Ampeg Reverberocket R212R 50W tube 2x12:

Sovtek MiG50H "Tube Midget," 50W all-tube amplifier head (here w/1969 Kustom 1x15 cab):

That's it for up to 50W. However, I do have another three in "limbo" between 50W and 100W. First, a Sunn 200S 60W all-tube amplifier head:

And a Marshall 5275 75W solid state 1x12:

And finally, a MosValve MV-962 80w solid state 1x12:

76standard

I figure there’s a thread for big amps (100 watters), and a thread for small amps (22
Watts and under)...why not one for medium sized amps (30-60 watts?)

Ill go first.

Nice posts by all you gear officianatos. Some many different amps that makes me want to have a serious case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome, for those who do not know the acronym). I have two that are my go-to amps, the 2006 THD Bi-Valve, rated at 30 watts, and a 1968 drip edge Fender Bassman head, rated at 50 watts. See pictures below. The Bassman is paired with an old 1960's era 2X12 open-back cabinet loaded with Weber 12F150 ceramic speakers rated at 50 watts. These speakers bring out the best in the amp. I highly recommend them if looking for speakers to pair with your Bassman. I almost always play exclusively through the normal channel. I have installed RCA 12AX7 old stock preamp tubes, which is what Fender put in these amps coming off the production line. Big improvement over most current production preamp tube offerings.

The Bi-Valve is paired with a 2X12 open-back Avatar cabinet loaded with Celestion Blues. I have never had to dime the amp so the speakers have been gently broken in to bring out their best. Believe all the hype about Celestion Blues, they are the real deal. Because this amp allows the user to swap out different combinations of tubes, the tonal palate is endless. Over the years I have collected a number of NOS, old stock and new production preamp and power tubes. It has given me the opportunity to find "my tone" with this amp. My favorite tube combination is two RCA blackplate 6L6GC power tubes, paired with two 1950's RCA blackplate 12AU7 preamp tubes. Less output because of lower preamp gain but tone that is smooth, creamy and detailed. Perfect for a great single coil tone. For humbuckers just up the Attitude knob for more high end presence.

All that said, what do I like or dislike about the amps.

THD Bi-Valve
Pros:
- Can use multiple preamp and power amp tubes in combination,
- Self biasing
- Plenty of headroom to remain clean
- Has a built-in Hot Plate attenuator
- Two input settings (more or less) similar to a Fender amp. More uses both preamp gain stages, as to Less only uses one of the preamp gain stages
- Straight-forward EQ settings of Bass, Treble and Attitude (Presence)
- Effects loop
- Handles effects very nice
- Balance line
- 30 watts is more than enough output volume

Cons:
- No reverb
- Heavy amp (big transformers) 43 lbs.
- Have to haul around two pieces of gear

Fender Bassman Head
Pros:
- Simple and straight-forward
- Handles pedals nicely
- Two basic EQ settings, Bass and Treble
- Compresses at higher volume settings
- Loud, so much so, you should never have to dime this amp
- Can jumper/bridge the Bass Instrument and Normal sides
- Tube replacement set only requires two 6L6 power tubes

Cons:
- No reverb
- Have to haul around two pieces of gear

There it folks. Keep in mind Andy Marshall no longer makes THD amps. A used Bi-Valve can be had for about $700 before shipping. Quest on!

Attachments

76standard

Sonny Junior Bassman 45watts of Fenderosity.

One of Leo's Masterpiece creations 1965 VR
Soldersucker.....Couldn't agree more with your grandfather about speakers. I have found that my tone greatly improves when you have the trifecta of tone covered; a good amp, good speakers and a good guitar with complimentary pickups. Take a look at most pros, or good amatuer players, and they have those three things in common. Quest on!

Deus56

Oh brother have you opened a can of worms!

My favorite (all mine):

1966 Fender Twin Reverb, my first "bought it new" amp Sr year in High School. Still got it, sounds the same, INSANE!
View attachment 318442

1964 Fender Super reverb, bought it used late 65, but it wasn't loud enough for medium venues, so I bought the one above.
View attachment 318443

For Jazz/ Fusion/ R&B / Classic "Rock n Roll" this is the killer amp 1961 Tremolux, OMG the sweet tones from only 35 RMS Watts.
View attachment 318448

Had a hankering for some classic Brit tones, nothing beats a Vox AC 30. This is my 1965 Vox AC-30 Top Boost. I like some Marshalls, but sorry Marshalltoons, they don't come close to the tones of a vintage Vox AC.
View attachment 318454

I also play bass, mostly recording gigs, and I've never found another Bass amp that comes close to the King in mellow and clean tones (though not loud) as the early 60's Fender Bassman amps. And it's a great Guitar amp too! 1962 Blonde Fender Bassman (not a reissue).
View attachment 318458

OK there are times you need that Marshall (we copied the Bassman) sound and it needs to be a combo with some modern touches. I've had many Marshalls, combo's and stacks and this is the only one I've kept. 1981 JCM800 50W Lead Series with Effects Loop. Still not a Vox, but it is sweet and harsh to for shredding, and the most reliable Marshall I've ever owned. And that is saying a lot.
View attachment 318459
If you ever feel the need to add someone to your will.
I'm raising my hand up, Sir.

220uF

A previous post wondered why no gig or studio shots. I did a high school production of "Mamma Mia" about two years ago. Those gigs are usually 8-10 musicians crammed into a walk in closet sized space. I was privileged to have my rig set up next to the arbor pit cage with a roomy place to sit during the quiet parts. 2012 Hi-Tone JP 30/15:
IMG_20200523_160843_622.jpg

Trending Topics