Show Some Love For The Hotcake

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ButchR, Jul 31, 2006.

1. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I've been through several OD pedals in the last 3-4 years but I always seem to come back to the Hotcake. It has been on my pedalboard for over 3 years and others have come and gone but it won't leave.

Maybe it's because it is a great pedal or maybe it just seems to be MADE for my Komet. There are many pedals that sound great through the Komet but the Hotcake seems to be a part of the amp. It seems to give me all of the dynamics of the amp even at lower volumes.

Anyone else have similar experiences with their amps?

2. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head! "That pedal works with that amp!" My hotcake sounds spectacular in my Blackface but was a compressed mess in my Guytron, The Hotcake is a unique pedal and being so, makes it a bit particular to the amp you use with it. I love those pedals. Find the right combination and Wow!

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've gone through the usual gamut of pedals, but the only two I've kept and continue to use are the Hotcake and the Zen Drive...

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I *LOVED* the standard Hotcake with my Carmen Ghia for years, now have a Bluesberry version and it's great, too...

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

On a honeymoon right now with the bluesberry myself.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Indeed the Hotcake is a fantastic pedal! It's perfect with my Tele & Strat and adds that high end zing and sweetness that I look for in a pedal. I use the Bluesberry Hotcake with my Mercury & Maz 18. I also used it for a long time with my recently sold Rambler with equally great results. For an incredible array of tones try picking up a MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe and pushing it with the Hotcake. Wowwee what a sound! It's a tremendously toneful partnership.

7. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

So everyone is happy with the hotcake's buffered bypass....or do you use it in a loop?

8. hogy

hogy Member

I've had my HotCake for some 15 years now and have never to date heard any OD I like better. Best pedal for an AC30 without a doubt, but also stellar with any other non master volume amp I've tried it with, be it plexi Marshalls, Super Reverbs, Tweed Bassmen, you name it.

IMO this is a "live" pedal, meaning it works best at stage volume where it just melts into the amp. No need to ever turn it off either, just use your volume control.

Best pedal ever, period.

Hogy

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Ahh hotcake. I love it as a midgain OD, or a gain heavy boost. I set the prescence to max, and the volume and gain at about noon, and that's where it stays. It's got an excellent buffer (i dont hear any noise). Im really loving it with the phase tone of the red Witch moon phaser. Very cool, and stack a fuzz on top of that, and it's just awesome.

One thing I love about hotcake is that its great fro adding some smooth bottom/mids to a fuzz pedal. I set it up as my base OD, and then hit the fuzz for leads...while backing off the volume just a touch (from 10 to 8), and its just a glorius sound.:angel

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

Love my standard HC with Marshalls and Hiwatts. Britpop heaven.

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I heard the Hotcake is the shiz for EL84 amps, especially Vox-vein amps. Are the rumors true? If so, looks like I got some emporium searching to do! :D

12. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I stack mine with a ts-9 in front, and it sounds just amazing. I held off on buying one, because people refered it to a fuzz pedal. Now that I own one it is so much more than just a fuzz pedal. Great clean boost to heavy overdrive, and it cleans up very nicely.

13. dosmun

dosmun Member

I never turn it off so no need to worry. If I can only take one pedal the HC is it.

14. ButchR

Also, I notice that it sounds even better first in the chain.

15. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I had a Hotcake for about 7 years on the board. Then along came Timmy. I used that for a while...maybe 4 or 5 months....then back to the Hotcake. Amazing with my Blue Angel on the EL84 setting. I never set the gain above 10:30 or 11:00.

Bob

16. mild

mild Member

The Hotcake is our national product. I am obliged to use one... :D
    Seriously though... through both my Matchless and my Vox it is consistent in doing what I want it to do - Makes my clean just a touch more gritty. My settings are usually:

Level - Full
    Presence 1/3 to 2/3
    Drive 0 to 10%

It most certainly is "the shiz" my friend. Paul Crowther was the drummer for Split Enz back in his earlier days, who were heavy Vox users (and a damn good band!). Paul *made* this pedal for an AC30. It is very special... :)

(FWIW - Paul tuned the first Bluesberry to a friends hot-rodded Marshall Plexi. He liked the modification enough that he launched the "Bluesberry" after that. If you own a Vox, go with the original. If you own a Fender or a Vintage (ie, "good") Marshall, perhaps try the Bluesberry first...)

17. ButchR

What's the difference in the bluesberry?

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

A slightly smoother gain structure... I switched to Bluesberry because I have other pedals that I use for teeth and hair and such, both sound great with the Carmen Ghia...

19. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Just picked one up in the emporium two minutes ago. Stoked to play it with my RSA31!

20. ButchR

Cool.......I'll have to try one out.