Show those Eric Johnson Stratocasters!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shawntp, Aug 28, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I'm getting one in the coming months - its my favorite strat in the shops right now.

I have seen people buying Mint Green guards to put on these so Im really interested in seeing what people have done to give it their own look.

Also just to see how that thin skin is wearing in.

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Here's mine. It might look a bit different soon. I've got a white (as opposed to stock parchment) pickguard coming soon, and some Fatboy bakelite style knobs and pup covers. I'm not really a fan of the aged yellow plastic look that they use on the EJ and '57 reissues. And I may or may not strip the neck...if I do, it'll lose the yellow tint...

I love mint green guards in general, but IMO they don't look right with maple boards.

My finish isn't really worn in yet. But at the right angle, you can clearly see the body grain lines through the black finish. And I hit the back of the neck with some micromesh to knock it down to a satin finish.

[​IMG]

3. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

I saw a black EJ the other day with a black guard (and maybe knobs and pup covers) and it looked absolutely sick. Just something to think about...

4. Brock

Brock Member

I played one the other day and liked the neck so much that Im thinking about selling my Les Paul to purchase one. Very cool guitars!

5. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

I got mine here from BudBurst. Amazing guitar! Can't believe he would want to give it up. It is one of a limited number of EJ Strats done with a 3-color sunburst for Wildwood guitars. About the only thing I find wrong with it is the nut is plastic and is too shallowly cut on the high E string - if I bend it more than a half step at or below the 5th fret, it pops out of the slot. The plan is to replace it with a better one once I get a job. That's about the only change I'll make on it though - I love it just the way it is. Now the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mike@switchback

That's a beauty. Funny though, I would swear mine has a bone nut. Then again, neither of us are the original owners of ours, so who knows...

7. Bluestar

Bluestar Gold Supporting Member

8. shawntp

shawntp Member

OMG - thank you for posting - I had no idea they had this thing in 3-tone burst. Looks like they are still available online too. That just made this thread totally worth it - I never would have seen that otherwise.

9. shawntp

shawntp Member

I notice Wildwood posts lots of pictures and also the guitar weight. Does anyone have any tips for picking one out since I cant play any of them. I see weights from 7.25-8lbs.

Im thinking its probably better to try lighter weight?

10. JMarck

JMarck Member

That's gorgeous!!!

11. dverna

dverna Member

[​IMG]

been considering a mint green pickguard at some point.... tough to find one with the 8 hole pattern -- any one have an idea?

12. mike@switchback

13. Bajan

Bajan Member

I bought my EJ from Wildwood. I just called Steve there and asked him to pick out a nice one. He will sit and play them and then send you the one he thinks is best. It worked for me, my EJ is spectacular at 7.6 lbs.

Shane

14. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Are you putting extra winds on the tuner peg? With no tree this is really critical!

That's a beauty btw! I picked my EJ back in early July, and just can't put it down. Best Strat I've ever owned.

15. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I would like to get one of the EJ Strats with a flame neck. Does anyone know if this option is available and what dealer would have this? I am looking for a black or 2 tone sunburst, but the 3 tone burst looks nice also.:drool

16. shawntp

shawntp Member

Ive looked at lots of EJ strats and I think most of them have some real light flame in the neck - some are more pronounced than others and some are just photographed better.

I dont think its an option - I think there is just a bit of variance in how well you can see it in each neck.

17. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

If I didn't have four part-o-Strats already, I'd buy an EJ. That way I could sound just like him....

18. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Well you might try a '56 Strat too, about the same neck.

I have the EJ 3t sb from Wildwood and realy like it but my '56 is in every way better,
    but said that I still can't let the EJ Wildwood Special go as it is very lightweight 7.2 and I love the Nitro sunburst.

19. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

I like mine pretty well, it's a two-tone 'burst. I traded out the pickups for some Copperhead '59s and it's more vintage sounding now. I lightly took some steel wool to the fingerboard and to the neck to get rid of the initial sticky and now it feels more like it should. A little razor knife to get rid of the overspray at the area where the frets meet the board helped with the feeling of tension/drag it seemed to have. Feels much better now and I have a feeling it will improve more with age. Like the weight and the board radius as I have played Gibsons for the last while. I have a string tree that I keep eyeing but haven't had the need to really install. Still could use a tiny bit more help with the B and E but I like the just a bit of fight it gives me. Wish mine had been three-tone if it was available when I got it, but the black just kills in my opinion.

20. mike@switchback

Mine had a date with some citristrip last night, so it looks a little different now than my pic above!