Show Us Your Frankenstein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gpro34, Mar 13, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Enough with the pretty 8.000 dollar museum guitar pics, show us your Frankenstein guitars. I want to see some crazy S@@@! If you don't have a frankenstein guitar show us your road dog, the instrument that looks like it's been to hell and back but still rocks!

2. ModmanQ6

ModmanQ6 Guest

Here's a pic of my '73 Tele. It's definitely the road dog of my collection...

[​IMG]

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It's not ugly, but it's definitely different, and it rocks.

http://www.zen-pharaohs.com/guitars/Fender/Duo_Sonic/duo-soni.htm

4. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

My "Signature" Franken-RG

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few (okay, maybe several) years back I played pretty much nothing but Ibanez Jem, RG and Universe guitars for many years. Time went on and my tastes evolved into my current fixation with Ernie Ball Music Man guitars (encouraged in part by my encroaching arthritis), but the past haunts us all, and this Franken-RG was built exclusively from leftover parts I had lying around after years as an Ibanez player, modder and tinkerer...
    The neck is an RG750 neck that my wife touched up to create my own signature model! The body is an old RG550 bod that had been pretty beat up (and the original neck broken due to road abuse), so I took a paint stripper to it and burned it mostly down to the bare wood, and then some... I stripped the finish off the neck and sprayed the body with a half dozen coats of clear coat poly just to seal it up and make it playable, then added some parts I had about - a couple IBZ USA pickups from an old S540, a scratched to hell pickguard from another old 550, a NOS cavity cover that still had the wax paper stuck to it (and I didn't bother to remove), a Lo Pro Edge with very worn blades (so it's blocked for down-bend only) and other leftovers. In all, there's probably scavenged and abandoned bits and pieces from five or six guitars parted into this one instrument...​

5. gpro34

gpro34 Member

This is what I'm talking about! Keep them coming.

6. fyler

fyler Member

oooh...i have a frankenstein in the works, but i'm waiting on some hardware. i'll be sure to bump this thread when it's done. here's a preview: it's a cheap seven string i'm converting to six string & changing just about every piece of hardware...also, i sanded all the finish off the neck...

7. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

8. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

[​IMG]

Lollar Imperial Bucker for the neck, underwound and asymetrical, P90 in the middle, and a hot Tele bridge pup in a Glendale bridge. Sperzels. Suhr BPSSC............It's gonna be transparent orange..........

9. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Speaking of Tele's, how about this '71? It's like an old friend now :)

[​IMG]

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

This is my first, and actually best attempt at building a humbucker Tele:

[​IMG]

It started out as a Jap built Tele, and then the poor thing kept getting hacked a little at a time, even though it was actually pretty good as a regular unmodified Tele.

Coincidentally, today I just got this P90 Tele pickguard from GFS that's going on this guitar when I find the time:

[​IMG]

I checked, and I won't have to move the mini humbucker pickup, but it looks like I need to shift the control plate a bit, and reshape the pickguard to go around the humbucker PU ring.

It looks like the guitar will look much slicker now.

Pete

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

My first bass, my first "real" electric instrument, circa 1984.

It was a 1971 Gibson EB-0. It had a hard life before it came to me- at least two headstock cracks prior to me owning it. Since I've owned it the headstock has broken off 3 more times. So that's at least 5 headstock breaks- oddly (and honestly) I've never been the one to break off the headstock. As far as the body goes... shortly after I got it, I routed out a cavity for SD Hot P-Bass pickups- with a sharpened screwdriver. Sometime in the early/mid 90s I took possession of a bunch of parts from a smashed G&L L-1000 including the bridge and pickup. I had the bridge installed by someone who had a pretty good idea of what they were doing. I did the G&L pickup with a Dremel tool. After that sounded like crap I got the brilliant idea of moving the big humbucker closer to the bridge. That sounded like a whole lot of poop. After trying a couple of Fender pickups I settled on a single coil P pickup- but of course I had to put down a couple layers of plywood to put the pickup at close to the right height after routing the body so deeply. I also got the brilliant idea of measuring where the pickups were in relation to the scale of the instrument (ie- distance from the 12th fret). It doesn't sound too bad now- but I learned a lot from working on this bass and routing out tons of wood and solving problems... the biggest lesson I learned is that and instrument is what it is- no matter what you do to it, it is what it is.

It is a short scale mahogany bodied bass. It will never, ever sound like a full scale Jazz or Precision.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BarryJ

BarryJ Supporting Member

Ah yes.....2 of my favorites are pure mutts. First, the 'FakeXis"; a mystery maple/basswood body, OFR, Tom Anderson pickups, Stew-Mac birdseye strat neck, ummm, 'artfully' reshaped (note the offending Ernie Ball sticker has since been removed - I'm proud that it's a mutt)

From a distance, looks pretty clean:

[​IMG]

Now, this is what happens when you keep hauling a lacquer finish from a cold car to a warm bar or basement:

[​IMG]

13. BarryJ

BarryJ Supporting Member

Then there's "Big Orange". This one's an early 90's American Std body with a Warmoth neck and Fralin pickups. It was finished in Colortone lacquer; the guy was aiming for a 52 butterscotch vibe, but he missed - badly. This thing is so freaking orange in person it looks like someone dipped it in Tang! Man, it sounds good though:

[​IMG]

14. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Silvertone with '63 Musicmaster neck and bridge. Used in G tuning.
    [​IMG]

15. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Tele Partsocaster w/ Fralin Blues. Used in E tuning.
    [​IMG]

16. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Just an update. With the new pickguard installed:

[​IMG]

Now I guess I need to do a few more updates, just to make it a little bit more slick.

Pete

17. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Thanks. It originally came with a white laminated pickguard, which is what I was going to put back on there. But someone else suggested a black pickguard, and I decided that he was right.

It makes the sunburst look rich. Sort of darkens it.

The black pickguard really wasn't my idea. I just agreed that the suggestion was good, and went with it.

Pete

18. gpro34

gpro34 Member

This is turning into an interesting thread! Great pics, I see we have a few tele lovers out there. I love guitars that look rough but have that nice worn in feel to them, and not to mention a few battle scars. Battle scars show character!

19. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I like Orange Teles. Here's another:
    [​IMG]

looks like the same color as yours on the back:

[​IMG]

It's not a Frankenstein though.

20. Grap

Grap Member

Here's my modded Strat copy I've had since I was eighteen:

[​IMG]

Which was a very long time ago!