Show us your low budget Lesters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Jan 23, 2012.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

By low budget, I mean Gibson USA, not the Custom Shop, i.e. Standards, Traditionals, etc. I think the priciest guitar from Gibson USA might be my 2011 Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard, approx. $4000 or so MSRP, street prices are from $2100-$2600 new. In a world of Gibson R8, R9, R0's that sell new in the stores from $3K-$8K, guitars that are <$2600 new are what qualify as low-budget. Relatively speaking. Here's mine, I put Fralin Pure PAFs in the guitar which set me back about $320 with installation costs, but I paid $1800 for it slightly used, so that's within the price bracket for this thread. Besides, my thread, my rules.

[​IMG]

Killer tone, looks and vibe, weighs only about 8 lbs (chambered) and it was only about $2K. That works. Gibson has its issues, but it does often get the guitars right. This one worked. Just love the guitar.

2. jcv

jcv Member

well, I guess we have different ideas on what the word "budget" means... nice LP you have there though. I have 2 Les Pauls... i only paid $850 brand new for this one with a nice SKB case so it's well below the max for this thread:

[​IMG]

This next guitar is the one I would consider a "budget" LP. I only paid $480 for this one with a hard case and it's become my favorite guitar:

[​IMG]

3. telest

telest Member

Nice guitar there! :)

Steve

4. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

What guitar is this? I dig it...

5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I can't put up a picture right now but I have an 05 Standard Faded in tobacco with a crazy flame and Wolfetone pickups. It's just like a VOS R0. I got it for 1800 plus pickups. Pics later.

6. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

So.... on TGP...... $1500 - $2000 is low budget?

:rotflmao

7. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Someone say low budget?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Never a day goes by that this old gal doesn't see some action. She's been/is a good one.

8. patentcad

patentcad Member

I knew somebody would bring that up. Oh well. Like I said, low budget compared to $5K Historics. If you really want to go lower (and I feel your economic pain) then I give you my Korean Agile LP knockoff. About $500 with case, I later upgraded the pickups to the Gibson Classic 57 zebras you see here. So I'm into this guitar for maybe $800 or so. It has its own unique, super ballsy, in your face tone, I think it's partly due to the brightness of the Ebony fretboard. Love it.

[​IMG]

9. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

I knew what you meant. I was just :sarcasm.

Anyway.... here's my 3 Standards... all bought for around $1500 each.

[​IMG]

And for super LP bang for the buck... my old 1991 LP Studio was a great score! $650 with hardshell case! Plays and sounds almost as beautiful as my R8... but tonally.. the 490R/498T pickups don't have the clarity of the unpotted R8 Burstbuckers. But it still sounds totally sweet.

[​IMG]

I have some really nice Epiphones as well..... but I probably shouldn't flood this thread with pics.

Here's a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cajunboy2k

cajunboy2k Member

Ahh...happiness. 2011 Tradional Pro P90. $1499 used from GC in Jackson, MS. Not dirt cheap, bu cheaper than new.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  11. patentcad

patentcad Member

Some of you must own Historics as well as Gibson USA guitars. I've owned both, although it has been ten years since I owned an R9. I see them and play them in stores, and I'm very impressed with them, I'd like to buy one eventually. In the meantime I'm actually thrilled with the 2011 Standard Plus pictured above, great guitar, it really has become the one I reach for the most. If the Historics are even better than that, that will be great : ).

12. patentcad

patentcad Member

See, now I think this is a Gibson Love-In Thread. Maybe we need one like this after all the negative Gibson stuff that's been flying around here lately. Like I said in other threads, if I critique Gibson, it's because I care about the company, because I do love their guitars. I only have one of them now, but there will be another sooner or later. I hope to buy it new, but then I hear Gibson isn't making R9 or R0 guitars in 2012. I can always buy an R9 used of course, but I do hope Gibson figures all this stuff out and gets back to normal.

13. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I never thought that 2 grand was "low budget" :confused: That's a lifetime investment for me.

I do play a Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique. Best guitar I've ever had.

14. jcv

jcv Member

thanks! It's an '04 les paul special faded with humbuckers. it's just a mahogany plank, no carved top, nothing fancy. It totally rips and I love it. Since it is a "budget les paul", I don't think I'm out of line posting a vid of it in action... I don't think Pcad will mind ;)

Keep in mind I'm no guitar mofo by any means, i just think the guitar sounds good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXGri6xVDQ&list=UU5FPMSkUFZ3-NFhY8JaJ0Ww&index=2&feature=plcp

15. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Classic Antique, $1600 . . .

[​IMG]

Studio, $700 . . .

[​IMG]

16. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

17. adaytonguitarist

adaytonguitarist Senior Member

1987 LP Studio/Standard with Tim Shaws. $800 in it with the chainsaw case. It had a heavy
    layer of grunge on the entire guitar and looked like it had never been cleaned.
    Removed the pickguard and she cleaned up real nice, see second pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. omfg51

omfg51 Member

My les paul studio. Loaded with burstbucker pros and a graphtech TUSQ nut. I replaced the black plastic with creme too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. patentcad

patentcad Member

I'm a sucker for Lesters.

20. gohabsgo22296

gohabsgo22296 Member

Who isn't? :rotflmao