Show us your old banjos!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by nmiller, Feb 14, 2009.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I finally made the jump from the mandolin to the tenor banjo, and I chose as my instrument of destruction a 1924 Weymann Style 2:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All original save for the bridge and 11" head, it has more figured maple and colored laminations than I can count. The trim is a combination of ebony and Brazilian rosewood. The resonator is force-fit onto the rim, so it comes right off for a slightly different sound. It came with the original case, the original W&S wrench, some ancient strings, an old Grover hex wrench and a pickguard (broken, but I'd leave it off anyway).

I'm still getting used to the long neck (relative to a mandolin or mandola), but it's a real delight to play.

OK, let's see yours now!

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

I know nothing about banjos. My mom bought this at a yard sale years and years ago. I have held on to it for sentimental reasons alone. I have no idea how to tune it much less play. I'll stick to guitar - though I wouldn't mind learning the basics to see what I can teach myself one day. It's very nicely relic'd!!!! So I'm half way there, right??!!!???!!! LOL

[​IMG]

3. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

I've owned a few.....

[​IMG]

The older ones here....are a 49' Gibson PB150, a 35' Gibson TB-3, and 28' Gibson Granada....

Also pictures is an Osborne Chief, and a Gibson Rich Era RB4...