Show us your studio construction - Do-it-yourselfers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Jason Lynn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Electrical and floor is completed now. Just needs baseboards, interior doors and a bit of touch up paint. On 3rd day waiting for power company to hook up the meter...grrrr. Sooooo close!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the (nearly completed) new space! A dream come true.

What are your thoughts and plans for acoustic treatments for the walls and ceiling and floors? Going the acoustic-foam panel route?

=K

3. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Thanks Kiwi, it is definitely a dream realized. I'm lucky to have my Dad on this project...without his handy skills it'd never have happened or at least not under my budget. He has spent some serious hours on it. I've just been his helper and heavy lifter.

For sound treatment - Probably some rugs on the floor in key areas and then for treating the walls I'm looking to use mineral wool board or Owens-Corning 700 series (703 or 705-FRK) rapped in breathable fabric and mounted to walls ceiling. I think it'll look much better in the room and I hear both of those choices work great.

First things first though...almost time to load in the gear and some furniture to see how much reflection it sucks up. I don't want to kill the room, just tone it down to a usable level is all. I hope it doesn't take coating the walls with that crap to calm it down :)

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Some advice and tips from one who also recently converted a 20x24 garage to a high-ceilinged studio:

Add sound absorbers as needed, slowly, listening as you go. The bare room is likely to be unbearably harsh with amplifiers at even low levels. Add some rugs and furniture.

Then start listening from different heights. Sitting down, standing up - anywhere a mic might be placed.

Listen for reverb from the walls opposite the amp(s). Listen for strange reverbs and bass booms in the corners especially.

Start adding the wall and ceiling treatments to try to evenly control the sound reflections. Space them out - leave "open" wall and ceiling surfaces between the panels to provide some liveliness. Walk around the room as you play, listening for evenness. Turn the lights way down - it's amazing how much better your ears work when your vision is limited.

The sound treatments will allow you to turn up the amps without killing your ears from the sound reflections. Add panels to taste, as you know.

I wall-mounted some good-looking, inexpensive Ikea area rugs onto the walls, especially around the drummer's corner. Big cymbal hits get damped that way. I went with 2x4-ft and 2x2-ft 2-inch pyramid foam on the ceiling surfaces, leaving plenty of space in between the panels to retain some liveliness.

I'm sure the John L Sayers site and many other boards will have better and more specific info on wall and ceiling treatments. This is just my suggestion: Add as you go, listen carefully, leave a little zing in the room.

But there's one tip I actually learned here at TGP:

A heads up on that ceiling fan... you'll have it running a lot in Austin. If you ever hear a warble or waver on your high E string notes, and your guitar's in tune and intonated, with fresh strings ....

Shut off the fan and see if the warble goes away. Mine drove me nuts for the first summer - it turns out some resonant high frequencies at ear level were being chopped up by the running fan blades! Thanks TGP - somebody here hipped me to that.

Enjoy the new space and do keep us posted here.

=K

5. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Small update...not done...but moving in anyways :)

I bought aprox 300 sq ft. of rock wool insulation board from these guys http://www.spi-co.com/ to build sound absorbers. Supposed to be a good alternative to Owens Corning 703 which they carry too by the way. I still have to build the panels though.

Here's most recent pic..
    [​IMG]

6. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

excellent. Thanks for sharing, that looks so good.

7. tmuka

tmuka Member

Very cool! congratulations on the progress, and thanks for sharing your project!

8. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Do what I do in touchy situations! Use an empty soda bottle! :p

9. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Almost done. I have an A/C guy coming out today to hook up the copper lines. We installed it as far as we could get it but leaving vacuuming the lines, etc to the experts. Can't wait to yank that ugly window unit. I have to paint doors and trim to finish. Hoorah...

Desk and rackspace are both home made. Also, built some much needed storage in the closet..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Looks outstanding, very cool! I appreciate seeing the photos and progress updates, thanks for sharing 'em.

11. 6789

6789 Member

12. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

droool! Nice work, love the organization

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

That's truly an awesome build/studio. Well done, sir.

14. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

that place is so sick and I wish I could play in there! Whats the actual recording equip gonna look like.

15. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

After 15 months I can finally say it's basically done...construction anyway. Had a friend over last night and got some good shots with his wide angle so here we go. Probably my last post on this thread, I hope for anyone that hit's this thread that is thinking of going for it gets the motivation they need. It's a LOT of work but now that I'm sitting here at the desk I can say it was worth every ounce of effort. Anyone that has questions feel free to hit me up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

you sir, are my hero. Congrats, and thanks for sharing the process. Someday...

17. tmuka

tmuka Member

man, that looks great! :drool

18. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Wow. If I can come up with something 5% that good one day, I'll be a very content man!

Enjoy the space, you really really earned it.

19. Shadscbr

Shadscbr Member

Hey Swamp, your space looks great!! I've enjoyed the progress pics. Your studio hits a sweet spot financially...not a million dollar money pit, but not a "dude with a few mattresses" either ;) :)

So...now that everything is finished, can you crank the Marshall? When you do, how loud is it outside?

thanks again for sharing :D
    Shad

20. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Thanks guys! As I said...it was worth all the effort, stress, etc... I still have issues getting my DAW up and running but it'll work itself out.

Shad,
    The Marshall is still too loud :) but yeah I can crank it. I do get sound bleeding out of the building but we placed the studio in a good spot. I don't think there's enough sound reaching my neighbors houses to bother them from my initial walk around tests. I'm not sure if this will hold up or not once bass and drums get added to the mix though? Time will tell. The weak link is the door (even when the 2nd door is closed) - that sound shoots straight at our house....so my wife & kids may be the only ones complaining...doooh!