Show us your studio construction - Do-it-yourselfers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Jason Lynn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Awsome. The only question I have is, do you have an alarm system? Or do you live in an area where it's pretty safe from robbery? Doesn't seem to hard to kick the door in and take what they want. Not being negative, but causious.

2. Shadscbr

Shadscbr Member

Thanks Swamp! I guess that shows just how loud our tube amps can be :)

Enjoy your new space, you and your Dad did a great job :D

Shad-wishing he had such a cool guitar space!

3. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Legitimate question zek...

There is still things to be done there. I'm going to bar the window, etc and probably will look into wiring an alarm since the house is already zoned. Security is pretty good though....I work from a home office which is now out in that studio and my bedroom window faces the backyard looking at the studio entry.

4. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Awesome. I mean... seriously awesome.

I have vicariously enjoyed your build, and I have enjoyed a few others over at the John Sayers forum, and I am starting to think "if these guys can do it, maybe I can too". Seeing the finished product is very inspirational.

Well done, sir.

:AOK

5. winstabull

winstabull Member

Just stumbled into this thread....

Your studio is sick. I am trying to scratch together a corner of a bedroom right now. That place is like the taj mahal. You have done very well. :AOK

6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

This is just a cool project, awesome!

7. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Pretty amazing!! I would suggest some real comfy chairs and or a couch in the control room, people always gravitate there so you want the hang to be comfortable. Plus, I'd give it more of a living room vibe with some lamps instead of the overhead/ceiling fan lights.

Looks awesome otherwise. Congratulations, you have built my dream.

8. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Bump...just because I'm so proud of my baby.

Recording my first band in here tomorrow night. She's not done though.....some real pre's after tax return and it's a go go go!....well then maybe a few more mics....and maybe a piano if I can find one...and...

9. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Totally amazing!

Hope you have good security. All that nice gear...

It looks bigger inside than it appears to be from the outside..

I want something like that when i get older..

10. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas Member

11. jasonechoi

jasonechoi Member

Wow, that's awesome. I'm trying to get a very small sound room going also. Hardly any budget, using a shed that I have on the side of the house. It's like 10x12..tiny, but enough to record my music. It has bare walls. Any suggestions on sound proofing without putting anything on(expensive that is)? Don't know what to do at this point...

12. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Sheetrock is not that expensive...a couple layers will knock down the volume escaping quite a bit. Since it's a shed it doesn't need to look pretty, but I'd suggest tape and mudding the seems anyways. Insulation before the drywall would be a plus too...

To be honest though...it is a lot of work to sound proof. You almost have to build your project around that one single goal. With a prebuilt shed you'll do good with insulation, drywall, soundboard, etc... but you'll still have some problem areas. If there is a window, tons of sound will escape you might consider drywalling over it...your doorway will also be a problem.

13. csills

csills Member

that looks great.
    you should ask your neighbors if the can hear it too much, thats the real test.
    and im drooling over all the amps!!!!!!

14. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Wow! I love what you have done there and am seriously drooling!!!

One question, though. Why did you decide to run the electrical outside the walls? Is it just because the outlets would provide opportunity for sound leakage?

15. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I've walked the parameter of the studio with drums/bass/guitar all going...it's not bad at all. Mostly it's the bass frequencies escaping but the amount is so minimal I doubt I'll ever have a problem with the neighbors. As mentioned, my doorway is the weakest link and that sound escapes straight towards my house.

16. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Yep, that was the main reason. The other is that by doing so, we did not have to decide on the electrical details until the very end of the project. We did have to penetrate the walls in a few place but they are all interior going from room to room.

17. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

So how did the recording turn out?

I'm totally jealous of your studio. I have a 'music closet'. If I had enough land to put it on, I'd totally build something much like you did. Except I'd go with a slab foundation in stead of a peer and beam.

18. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Slab would definitely have been better but at the time they quoted 5k which was over a 1/3 of my budget. Peer and beam has worked out fine and the floor has a better "feel" when you walk on it.

The recording has been going great. I'm extremely happy with the drum sounds we got. We used 2 Rode NTKs for overheads and the sound we got from those brings a huge smile to my face. The guys I recorded are going to take the tracks elsewhere to do mix and mastering but I'll have all of these files locally to start building my skills at mix/mastering as well. Now I just need to get the right group of guys together so i'll be part of the tracking process too.

19. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Dredging this up from the depths because I never posted clips. You can check out some finished tracks on our Reverbnation page here:

http://www.reverbnation.com/movingblues

I should disclaim that we did actually take the tracks out to another studio, The Bubble, to have them mixed. I'm just not confident enough to attempt a polished product yet. You can hear the room best on Carolyn. The room mic on vox was time slipped minutely to increase the 'verb' effect....and that's it.