Show your basses!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by NoiseNinja, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Maggot

Maggot Supporting Member

I've always been curious about those 888s. What's the neck like on that? What's it like to play?

2. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

Here is a 2015 SR 1400T, vintage natural flat. I picked it out of Killed By Death's post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The perfect marriage of bubinga and wenge. It's like if Life and Death got married, this is what their child's neck would look like:

[​IMG]

And the frets...Aaahhhhhh, the frets.

[​IMG]

It was for sale as used, but it looks like a Scratch 'n Dent situation. Except for about five minutes of minor buckle rash, and the obligatory dent on the upper bass horn, right under the player's nose, everything looks mostly unused. It has the cheesy gig bag, the case candy including the tool and the warranty card with the correct serial number on it, something I don't expect from GC.

If I could photo better, you would be able to see some fabulous fretwork!

[​IMG]

"I served time on the floor at Guitar Center. And I lived to tell about it." That's fine, I like to get it out of the way early on!

[​IMG]

This one cost $886, shipped to my doorstep in two or three days. Well packed. I tested the truss rod and it needed just an eighth to a quarter turn from slack to get almost dead straight. The action was fine but I adjusted it down to about 5-6/64's at the 17th fret. Nut was fine, no need for power tools! Seven pounds 13.4 ounces, good balance.

Neck-throughs can sound overly compressed and tame at first, and I find that getting a strong primary signal with the pickups very close to the strings helps give the neck-through a little of the bloom that some users miss. I adjusted the pickups on this one to about 6/64's on the bass side to get a little more edge in the attack. As to the height on the treble side, I may have forgotten to measure, but I would usually get the bass side just short of warble, then balance the treble with the bass. If there is no warble on the treble side, I am done.

The magnets in the Big Singles are really strong, so you will get some wicked warble when you are too close.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Cactus Bob, 9fingers, Kostas and 3 others like this.
  3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Tommy Biggs and Khromo like this.
  4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

‘96 Fender American Standard

Cactus Bob, Tommy Biggs and ultradust like this.
  5. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Pretty average size I day. I think, looking at the small body, you might guess it is smaller, but the neck isnt thin. No pocket since it is neck thru.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Here's a few, I have a lot more than I care to list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thor and Tommy Biggs like this.
  7. Jignant

Jignant Member

First gen Dimension bass MIM 2005 w/aguilar preamp and hipshot:
    [​IMG]
    2015 Classic 50s P Bass - My workhorse:
    [​IMG]
    Arriving Friday, 2018 Ibanez SR870-ALG:
    [​IMG]

Hope to post a Jetglo Rick someday...

8. Cosmiceddie

Cosmiceddie Member

Jackson Kelly U.S.A. Custom Shop

[​IMG]

Jackson CB-X Concert bass

[​IMG]

Halo PT Custom Shop

[​IMG]

Esh Stinger Real Gothic

[​IMG]

Esh Stinger l Real Gothic

[​IMG]

Ibanez DTB 400

[​IMG]

Ibanez MDB4

[​IMG]

B.C. Rich PS4 Warlock

[​IMG]

Thor, somedude and ThePitbullofLove like this.
  9. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Squire J
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

[​IMG]
    Sadowsky NYC P Vintage Burst - This is just a killer, killer P bass. D tuner, Chambered body and right at 7 Lbs.

Thor, ultradust and Tommy Biggs like this.
  11. Kostas

Kostas Member

1985 Westone Thunder I-A
    2000 Fender Am. Series Jazz

[​IMG]

Thor likes this.
  12. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

V440 in pearl white ... NICE!

13. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

Play a lot of bluegrass, do ya? ;)

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I took a bunch of pix the other day... or the other week, as the case may be... I really need to learn how to take pictures. I like them on the deck- but I don't want the glare or reflections...

1970-ish EB-0.

[​IMG]1969 Gibson EB-0 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

[​IMG]1969-ish Gibson EB-0 Slotted Headstock by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

This was my first bass I actually owned. It was in a pawn shop- I was 15 or so- I didn't notice that the headstock had been broken off- it was just a cool SG bass like Jack Bruce played. I think I had barely even owned it a week and I sharpened a wide screwdriver on the garage floor and started hacking out wood to put another pick up in there... I was like 15. I guess that's what you do. Shortly thereafter, the headstock broke off. There were already 2 repairs on the headstock in the 14 or so years before I got it- the headstock was broken off 3 times while I owned it- oddly enough- I was never the one to break it. First time a friend did it- I don't remember what happened. 5 or so years later, the same friend was in the same room with the bass and it just fell over. I "blamed" him- he just happened to be around it. The last time was in 1995 or so- I lent it to a friend to practice- it was in their studio for a few months- It was really funny- I went down there, saw the case in the corner of the room- and I just thought "the headstock is broken." Sure as ****... I took it to a guy who repaired violins for a school district up north... I said I don't care how it looks- just as long as it doesn't break again. It looks ugly as hell- but it's been 23 years- longer than it's ever gone without a break.

The pickup rout *sigh* I originally put P pickups in there, I've had (I think) something like 11 different pickups (to include moving the mudbucker to the back). It currently houses a Seymour Duncan Single Coil P pickup- it's wired sorta like a Jazz- you can roll on or off either pickup- with the mudbucker on full and the P up to about 8- this bass actually sounds pretty effin' cool.

1979 Gibson Thunderbird

[​IMG]1979 Gibson Thunderbird by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I got this bass a long time ago- IIRC I wasn't even playing bass in a band at the time- It was just a really cool bass and I had the money. Around this time I had my EB-0, a 68 EB-2 and a 70s Rick 4001. The EB-2 and the Rick were sold shortly thereafter. The T-Bird was my main bass for around 5 years- It fell out of favor for more bright sounding basses- but it's been my #1 for the past 12 years for my Rolling Stones cover band.

1965 Fender Jazz Bass-

[​IMG]1965 Fender Jazz Bass by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

[​IMG]Jazz Bass Headstock by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I actually got the Jazz Bass to be a backup for the T-Bird. I think I actually overpaid for this bass at the time- it was really poorly refinished- but it sounds so good- it records so well- it fits in to the mix amazingly. Considering I got it to be a backup- it became my #1 right away. Actually, the day I got it- I picked it up on the way to a show, played it that night.

1998 G&L L2000

[​IMG]1998 G&L L-2000 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

[​IMG]1998 G&L L-2000 Headstock by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I got this to be my "modern" bass- at the time I really wanted a really bright, forward sound that really stands out- this bass totally does that. I had it effectively custom ordered for me- Sunburst, rosewood fingerboard, #6 neck with a "satin" finish. At the time, that satin finish was how all the new basses looked- I wanted to go with the "gun oil tint- but figured I'd go "modern."

1973 Guild Starfire II

[​IMG]1973 Guild Starfire II by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

[​IMG]1973 Guild Starfire II Headstock by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

For a while I've been playing around with the idea of getting a new bass- Kinda half-asssed looking for a P with an A width neck, a FireGlo Rick 4001 or 4003. While looking into the Rick, I was researching Prescott Niles- the bass player from the Knack- I LOVE that first record, and really dig that bass sound- even though he was pictured with a Rick- I found it was a Guild M-85. From there I found the similarity to the Starfire II, from there I combined the remorse for selling the EB-2 with the pedigree of Phil Lesh, Jack Casady and Chris Hillman... I've only had it like a month or so- haven't played it out yet- but I'm really digging it.

15. motzman

motzman Supporting Member

My main bass right now(1977 Gibson RD Artist) Plays amazing. Also have a 90s USA Jazz Bass with a warmoth neck, Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickups and a thru body badass bridge that was my go to for years.

[​IMG]

Thor and Mincer like this.
  16. Mincer

Mincer Member

^But man, that Albert Lee *swoon*

17. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

One more Carvin V440. Sorry, TAVD, you're not special, anymore. :(

[​IMG]

Thor likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Member

When I want to play bass I used this -- a Washburn XB-100 I bought used for $40. I did a fret level and full setup, it had pretty high action when I got it.

It started as a P-bass style but I modded with a pair of Js and a Strat 5-way switch for the usual Strat combinations. I mostly play regular 6-string guitar so this fits my style.

This gets some deep deep bass in the 'neck' position. Does it do the Strat Quack?... ;)

[​IMG]

19. s2y

s2y Member

[​IMG]

You guys need a Kahler.

20. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member