Show your basses!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by NoiseNinja, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Maggot

Maggot Supporting Member

I've always been curious about those 888s. What's the neck like on that? What's it like to play?

2. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

Here is a 2015 SR 1400T, vintage natural flat. I picked it out of Killed By Death's post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The perfect marriage of bubinga and wenge. It's like if Life and Death got married, this is what their child's neck would look like:

[​IMG]

And the frets...Aaahhhhhh, the frets.

[​IMG]

It was for sale as used, but it looks like a Scratch 'n Dent situation. Except for about five minutes of minor buckle rash, and the obligatory dent on the upper bass horn, right under the player's nose, everything looks mostly unused. It has the cheesy gig bag, the case candy including the tool and the warranty card with the correct serial number on it, something I don't expect from GC.

If I could photo better, you would be able to see some fabulous fretwork!

[​IMG]

"I served time on the floor at Guitar Center. And I lived to tell about it." That's fine, I like to get it out of the way early on!

[​IMG]

This one cost $886, shipped to my doorstep in two or three days. Well packed. I tested the truss rod and it needed just an eighth to a quarter turn from slack to get almost dead straight. The action was fine but I adjusted it down to about 5-6/64's at the 17th fret. Nut was fine, no need for power tools! Seven pounds 13.4 ounces, good balance.

Neck-throughs can sound overly compressed and tame at first, and I find that getting a strong primary signal with the pickups very close to the strings helps give the neck-through a little of the bloom that some users miss. I adjusted the pickups on this one to about 6/64's on the bass side to get a little more edge in the attack. As to the height on the treble side, I may have forgotten to measure, but I would usually get the bass side just short of warble, then balance the treble with the bass. If there is no warble on the treble side, I am done.

The magnets in the Big Singles are really strong, so you will get some wicked warble when you are too close.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 12:45 PM
  3. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Khromo likes this.
  4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

‘96 Fender American Standard

ultradust likes this.
  5. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Pretty average size I day. I think, looking at the small body, you might guess it is smaller, but the neck isnt thin. No pocket since it is neck thru.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Here's a few, I have a lot more than I care to list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. Jignant

Jignant Member

First gen Dimension bass MIM 2005 w/aguilar preamp and hipshot:
    [​IMG]
    2015 Classic 50s P Bass - My workhorse:
    [​IMG]
    Arriving Friday, 2018 Ibanez SR870-ALG:
    [​IMG]