Show your Brian Monty guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by fatherjacques, Sep 4, 2017.

1. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I have nothing to add other than you have my favorite SN on TGP.

:D

Thrillhouse likes this.
  2. Gearfreak78

Gearfreak78 Member

My Monty Bluesmaster

brain21, jiml, friend33 and 6 others like this.
  3. stan p

stan p Member

Teles, anyone?

4. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Member

Here is the first one Brian Built for me. A nice Bluesmaster with Mini Hums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

great gold top colour combo...I love all these Monty's truthfully ! awesome !

6. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Member

7. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Please share pics of your arch top when you get it, Ronnie. Nice tele-gretsch.

Ronnie-Earl-fan likes this.
  8. Ronnie-Earl-fan

Ronnie-Earl-fan Member

I will, you can count on it! :beer
    One thing I wanted to mention in this thread is just what warm and friendly people Brian and his wife Erica are. I have been exchanging emails with them for a good few years now, and they are always polite, friendly and helpful, and their patience is endless! (I pestered them with a lot of questions while deciding on the specifications for this guitar and the archtop, and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. :) ) When the Tele-Gretsch was finished, they actually invited me to stay at their house for a few days to collect it in person, even though they had never met me! Brian even said, "If you can make it [such-and-such a date], we can time it for the Montreal jazz festival, and you can come with myself and Erica." In the end, I couldn't go, but you really couldn't meet two nicer people.:aok

Thrillhouse likes this.
  9. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Nice. When my Bluesmaster was finished, Brian offered to meet me half way (about 2.5 hr drive each way for the both of us) so I could get it from him directly. I couldn't make it so he shipped it. But it was a really nice offer.

10. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

Ronnie, trying to pm you (but I believe you cannot receive pms's with your settings), I'd love to hear about your archtop order (I'm thinking on doing the same....I own the cherry es345 Monty Bluesqueen)...PM me if you can ! I'd love to hear about your archtop .

11. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Here are some. They look like teles:
    [​IMG]

He made the toploader ash body on this one:
    [​IMG]

He made the Korina body on this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  12. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

He made the Mechanicland "Ballpark" neck on this one:
    [​IMG]

ssdeluxe, Ronnie-Earl-fan and Gilky like this.
  13. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Hooray for Brian Monty!
    Here's a Bluesmaster with a figured birch top:
    [​IMG]

14. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Here's a Les Paul Special that he, uh, repaired.
    [​IMG]

ssdeluxe, gerg6, jiml and 3 others like this.
  15. doc

doc Member

Hey, that last one looks suspiciously like one in my basement!

16. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Ahhh, but it got to sit in the big boy chair while I was babysitting it.

17. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

Stephen, those are killer ! :) ...I'm very seriously thinking on ordering an L5 type setup from Brian, we'll talk !

doc, congrats...that looks like a glorious beast...great burst.

18. Ronnie-Earl-fan

Ronnie-Earl-fan Member

Hammertone, those are lovely guitars! There is SO much that I want to ask you about them! :drool
    The Teles are gorgeous, all three of them! I've always been a sucker for a butterscotch/blackguard Tele - and as for the korina Tele, that is just too gorgeous for words! It reminds me of the old rosewood Teles, like George Harrison's, and I've always found them incredibly pretty. A Brian Monty korina Tele would be a very special guitar indeed... Do you have a favourite, and how would you describe their differences?

It's nice to see one of Brian's old guitars with a Mechanicland neck! I've heard a lot about them but have never played one. I'm sure it plays beautifully!

I've always been curious about Brian's birch-topped guitars too. Again, it's something that I've never played, but have always wondered what they were like. (I know they'll be excellent if Brian puts his name on them!) Breathtakingly pretty top and finish, too... :drool

And as for the old Special... Just beautiful! Funnily enough, I've got an old Special in desperate need of restoration, and I'll be sending it to Brian once the archtop is finished. It actually started life as a 1955 Les Paul Junior, and somebody converted it to a Special long before it came to me. I bought it as a restoration project, and it has been sitting at the back of a cupboard ever since (you know the story, I'm sure!). It could do with a veneer being fitted to the top and the back, and it needs a new nut, a complete refinish and various other things. I won't be getting it converted to a carved top LP, just brought back to life, and Brian's the man for the job. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  19. Ronnie-Earl-fan

Ronnie-Earl-fan Member

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, SSDeluxe - I'm afraid I've been away for a little while.

The archtop is basically going to be a copy of a Gibson L4-CES. It won't be an exact copy or a replica - it'll be a Monty guitar, but closely based on an L4-CES. It will have a 16" wide body, a Florentine cutaway, and three dog-ear P-90s, and it will be black all over, with gold hardware (an L4-CES dressed up as a Les Paul Black Beauty, in other words). 5-ply binding to the front and back of the body, bound neck and headstock, mother of pearl block inlays... the full Black Beauty treatment! Solid spruce top, naturally, with a mahogany back, sides and neck... I can't wait! (Or rather, I am happy to wait, knowing that the wait will be well worth it. :))

How about yourself? What are you thinking of ordering? Like yourself, I could talk about Brian Monty guitars all day!

20. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

love your vision ! That sounds awesome...and right down my alley.......I share your "build sensibilities" .

The longer in the tooth I get, the more I prefer p90's to most any other pu's, that will be a great setup ! Congrats.

Well, ever since getting the Bluesqueen.....my other guitars are just sitting around..no joke...and that's no honeymoon, I've been plunkin' on this guitar over a year and it continues to

amaze me with the tonal possibilities...The way Brian builds them: there is just a TONNE OF TONE in there...if you mine it!......

I've owned a lot of archtop's of all kinds over the years.....and I favour p90's in an L5 or super 400 setup...an electric archtop sound with tonnes of "life"

in it...not the ply sound (a great sound as well)......so I have been humming about letting go some nice stuff to get on board with another build....I will keep you all posted ! thanks for sharing

Ronnie, can't wait to see that materialize. Please do keep us posted. Much thanks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018