Show your Budda SD 18/30 love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troublehead, Feb 9, 2008.

1. troublehead

troublehead Member

I need you guys to entertain me while I remain waiting for my backordered SD 18 II head (it has been alomst a month now):puh

I have been a longtime metal/hard rock guy and recently completely rid myself of 100 watt high gainers and pointy guitars! All my gear is gone except for a Fender HSS American Deluxe Strat, an Avatar Vintage 2x12, and a Budda 1x12 closed cab. And a few pedals.

I'm want to hear all and see all about the little Buddas. This is one of my rare blind purchases (without hearing first in person).

My music direction is Texas blues up to classic hard rock (Lizzy, UFO, etc...) And I am just a bedroom warrior and recorder:dude

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

Your SD18 will do all those styles very well.
    It can be a little dark especially at low volumes but I always use the mid pull function on the drive to brighten it up considerable and also use the pull brite on the Rhythm aswell.
    Is a great amp but can be a little too compressed on the drive channel with high drive settings.

It's great with Celestion blues.....
    It has a cool loop........
    It lacks a bit of bass but that's understandable with only 18watts otherwise it's as loud as hell....try it with a 2x12 ..that helps.
    Nice percussive pick attack and surprisingly tight for an el84 18watter with a tube rectifier.....

What else ........Yup its a rocker just like Thin Lizzy

Cheers
    Rick

3. boltino

boltino Member

I'm waiting for mine too. :worried

I have played the 18 and 30 several times though. For me, the Budda beat out amps priced significantly higher. I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly suprised. :BEER

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've owned many other higher dollar amps but think the drive channel on the SD18 is my favorite.

5. tonefinger

tonefinger Member

You'll be happy with the 18, I have the 30 and while it's not a "metal" sounding amp, it's just about right for the classic stuff. I couldn't part with my high gain stuff, I kept it all.

6. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

If you love yer Texas blues, I think you'll swoon over the SD18's rhythm channel! Start with all the tone knobs at 12:00. Run the rhythm gain knob about halfway up, pulled out, with the master volume as high as you can stand. Set your strat to its neck pickup, and pound the snot out of it! Start there and season to taste. :dude

That amp hasn't got a bad sound in it. It was love at first feel for me when I plugged my PRS McCarty and Modern Eagle into it, and then I found it was even better with a good strat. It loves to talk dirty. It doesn't have a lot of clean headroom on the rhythm channel, but if you're into rawk, you probably won't care.

The SD18 II is stupid loud for a 2xEL84 amp, but for blues and hard rock, it's fat, dark, organic, woody, chewy, and just plain wonderful. Last Saturday, a buddy and I tried his new telecaster out with a Mesa Maverick, Zinky Blue Velvet, '66 Fender Bassman, and a Soldano HR50+. The Budda SD18 II 1x12 combo was the best of the lot!

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I just played an 18 today, my first budda experience ever...what a kick ass combo...with a combo like that you are good to go....easy load in for gigs....sure a 4x12 looks cool, but this lil amp gives up the goods.

8. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

When I ordered my SD80 years back, I had to wait nearly 9 months! :messedup but I think they had a flood in the factory or something? Hopefully wont be so bad for you!

I've also picked uip a SD18 1x12 along the way... am using it most of the time.... so easy to move... also so easy to control the volume! doesnt have the sizzle and wump of a "metal" amp, but lotsa gain with thick complex grain structure... enjoy!

9. jay66

jay66 Member

Here's my 18 and 210 cab along with my home made guitar.
    [​IMG]

10. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I;m still waiting to get mine back from my tech :BITCH:mad:

11. bigjoeblue

bigjoeblue Member

You guys are killin' me! I'm on the fence between the Goodsell 17 and the Budda 18 combo. Both are such killer sounding combos. I'm lucky enough to have a Budda dealer within 20 minutes, and a store with Goodsells 2 hrs away. I'm gonna get tired of driving between both places.

12. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Played an 18 II combo, but got the SD30 II head b/c I have 2x12's.

Finally opened up the amp this weekend and I'm so RELIEVED that I finally have such an awesome tone. I can really hear what my guitars sound like and you go so much tonal options...with only six knobs!!!!

My bassist and drummer loved the amp as well and were very surprised...Neither really heard of Budda.

I thought the 18 rocked as well, I just like heads. The 18 is plenty loud!!!

13. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I have been using only the dirty channel of my SDII 18 for a killer lead tone. I have the gain at about 1 o'clock, mids pulled and maxed, bass at 3 o'clock, treble and master to taste.

With the Neck pickup on my HBI I am getting my perfect lead tones. Thick and sustaining like the Fuchs I used to have but has a rock edge to it like the Soldano Decatone i owned as well. For me it is my Goldilocks sound. Not to smooth, not to rough.... it's just right.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Budda Superdrive series amps are fantastic, IMO. I've had my SD30 series I head for about 6-7 years. Truly an amazing amp that really excells at the tones you are going for.

15. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Another SD18 owner here. It has become pretty much my all-time fav. Wonderful amp.

Here's a great way to spend an hour:

1. Close your eyes.
    2. Randomly set the knobs.
    3. Enjoy the wonderful tone.
    4. Repeat.

A

16. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I love my SDII 18 1x12 combo. Best amp I've ever owned.

Just a great sounding easy to tranport amp that NEVER lacks in volume or clean headroom ( for me anyway )....even in a full band with horns and keys ! Classic and modern tones are all in this little powerhouse of a combo....

Gem of an amp if you ask me ( I think if they were more " boutique " and cost twice as much they would get even more respect than they get if you know what I mean ;) ).....

17. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

If I was you I would wait for the new Budda V-20 and V-40 Superdrives coming out in 60 days. I found the Superdrive 30 way too compressed on the drive channel and it had too aggressive of a gain. I thought it was overkill for classic rock stuff. Great for heavy, modern rock though. I had good luck using overdrives into the clean channel. The new Superdrives have the drive tamed a bit and the 6V6 tubes will be less compressed. I am excited to hear the new V-20.

18. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I can see how some would find the gain too aggressive, but as far as compression goes, one of the things I love about the SD18 is that it cleans up so well with the guitar's volume and pick attack. With my Mira, I can literally go from an almost clean sound to full raging distortion, or from an ACDC type rhythm tone to a VH lead tone just by adjusting the controls on my guitar.

It is a beautiful thing. :RoCkIn

These new Budda do sound intriguing, however....:BEER

A

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Just as an aside, if you talk with Jeff Bober (Budda designer) about the SD18 vs SD30 he'll tell you - the SD30 isn't just an SD18 with two more tubes. The two amps aren't voiced the same (and neither is voiced like a Twinmaster, which also uses EL84s). Each amp in the Super Drive series has its own voice. The SD18 and SD30 just happen to use the EL84s in their power amp section. Of the two amps, the SD30 is the darker-sounding and more compressed.

jb

20. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Here is my SD18 wit hmy R8 VOS. I have been thrilled with this setup. I use the 1x12 extension cabinet, when I feeling like carrying it, it really fills out the sound. They are great amps, and are backed with great service!

[​IMG]