Show your cheap main amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NoiseNinja, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Aydan

Aydan Member

Not yet. I've never really been a distortion pedal person, I like the gain from the amp. Only boost I've ever used was an MXR GT-OD which is basically a tube screamer with a little more balls.

I'm VERY tempted to pick up a Friedman BE-OD Deluxe and try it into the clean channel though!!!

White Limo likes this.
  2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I mostly play C&W and use either a 70's Deluxe Reverb or a '66 Bassman for those gigs. But I also play Rock styles for which I use a ~2002 Crate 5212 (clean channel only and none of the digital effects).

As heard here:

3. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

played through it once when we rehearsed with a different drummer at his studio, killer amp, i couldn't believe it, it's a shame tube amps are so heavy though :D (bought a tech 21 blonde+FRFR recently)

Pidgin English likes this.
  4. garret

garret Member

Yes the 120 watt head is a wee bit heavy. Nothing like a friends 70's Ampeg SVT, now that thing is heavy.

I read a lot of posts about the 333XL and I had been looking for a cheap 3 channel amp. I had a Bugera V22 for a while and never cared for it, so I was hesitant on the 333XL. Plugged in and was like Holy Sheetz!

I'd also been looking for an amp that could do well at lower volume. This amp does it so well. Singing lead tone without bleeding ears and no attenuators required.

A huge array of tones available with the interactive TMB EQ available on each channel. Effects loop is very good.

A used head is about the best bang for your buck of any 3-channel amp out there.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  5. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

Cheap. This is my $200.00 half stack. Almost two years ago, I paid $100 for the head and $100 for the cabinet from an older gentleman who said his hands wouldn't let him play anymore, so he placed an ad with no pictures on Craigslist for a "GK guitar combo and Marshall cabinet-$200". Well, when I called he said it was an ML250 and a 1982 1960 a cab with Celestion 65's. I said I'd buy the pair for his asking price, then he asked if I wanted to buy the Marshall head too. He hadn't listed it because it needed some soldering to the input jack and probably new power tubes. He said he'd want $100 for it. I bought all three pieces for $300, and he tossed in a couple old pedals and a snake.

A slight bit of work and a couple EL34's and sweet Jesus!

[​IMG] A

6. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

Not sure if this qualifies as cheap by OP’s standards, but I happily play through a used Peavey Classic 30 I got for $300. I think the cleans are great and I use it as a pedal platform. Aces.

7. David M Holland

David M Holland Member

Oh... So these don't leave my bedroom often...

The stuff that does.. The Headstrong Lil King Reverb.. 12 watt point to point Princeton Clone from like mid 2000s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HiM9afbZtFunqLtn7

An 81 Les Paul Classic p90 with a Tim Shaw Humbucker routed into the neck position... It's got a Volute and the neck has been further shaved..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hy3FQ7qmy9i3yJuH8

NoiseNinja likes this.
  8. Coopster

Coopster Member

Not necessarily cheap but not expensive and I technically don't have it anymore but... The Laney Ironheart 30 watt combo is and was an awesome amp. I used it relentlessly until I decided I wanted a Mesa and sold it. I'd have it again, in a heart beat. Actually I'd have the 50 watt head because priorities.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  9. EmandoDave

EmandoDave Member

Laney Cub 10. Bought new with deep discount for under $200. Even before upgrading the speaker and tubes it was a great sounding amp. Now it is even better. I mic it as needed, and it sounds awesome. If I really need noise, the 2x12 Cub cab takes the rig next level, and not for a whole lot of $$.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Il Belva and NoiseNinja like this.
  10. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to go the budget route as a husband and father :)

I won't post the picture since everyone probably knows what it looks like :) but I have the ubiquitous Boss Katana 50 which has been a godsend to me. I was playing direct with the band I'm in with a Behringer GDI-21 (Sansamp clone) and pedalboard. Honestly, it's been serviceable and it sounds way better than a pedalboard direct to PA. But I miss the sound out of a loudspeaker and also miss getting controlled feedback. Have had a chance to gig a couple times now with the Katana and it's been so cool. I put it on an amp stand so the loudspeaker is at the same height as my pickups so I just turn around and get that glorious Hendrix/Townshend feedback.

Scooter and NoiseNinja like this.
  11. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yes I LOVE the Bugera rock amps. The 333XL and the 1990 are both killer to me. But man, they are WAY too heavy to gig with when I'm schlepping my own gear around.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  12. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

BOSS Katana 100, Peavey Bandit and Ibanez TSA15...

Really, the Kat is my main cheapy...and I LOVE IT.

[​IMG]

13. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I have only gigged with cheap amps. Lately, it's a Kat50. Back in the day, Peavey Windsor 100 watt head, Kustom tuck n roll 250 head, Carvin V3 head.

14. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I know the Carvin V3 is considered a "cheap" amp by folks who have lots of disposable income, but man that is a killer sounding amplifier. I wish Carvin didn't end their amplifier manufacturing.

Wyatt Martin, Ejay and G34RSLU7 like this.
  15. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Nice clip and nice playing. I'm on your boat with the same amp. It sounds awesome.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

It was actually more amp than I needed. Tons of features. I got mine used for 400 so I'd consider that a cheaper amp.

17. DavidTCIC

DavidTCIC Member

A friend of mine have one and i swear it sounds insanely good

18. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I'd probably stop playing. Oh wait, wait... I meant to say Dumble clone of some sort. Yes, that's the ticket.

19. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

You did a fine job.

20. TheNewWhatNext

TheNewWhatNext Member

Bassbreaker 45 Head, shares the role with my Orange Dual Terror. £439 on clearance. Plexi sounds for cheapskate money.

[​IMG]

fretless likes this.