Show your Cool, Weird Amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Redbell, May 17, 2008.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

You know - that strange amp that for some unexplainable reason kicks all kinds of butt. Perhaps you met in a pawn shop or a yard sale but you were never the same after.
    I don't have one, justLooking for the really different stuff!

2. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Circa 1956/57 Johnson Monarch M-4. 2 channels (hi-lo input for each)Control knobs are Vol1, Vol2, "Highs," "Depth" and 'Ultra Highs." By Albert Johnson, Johnson Sound Systems, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. 2 x 6L6; 2 x 5Y3 rectifier tubes. GREAT sounds!

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Johnson looks cool. How'd you date it? Any idea what the preamp section is? Just curious.

4. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

That rules on many levels.

5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

[​IMG]

Top to bottom:

Weber Smokin Joe II circuit built into old Bogen PA head. 2xEL84 outputs, first preamp tube is in cascode. It doesn't really sound like anything else, but I guess it is in Vox territory.

Homemade 50 watt head with two 6L6's. The first gain stage is a 7 pin pentode. I think I have a 5654 in there right now. There is a presence control on the back. At high volumes, the low end feels a tiny bit mushy, but single notes on the higher strings sound great.

Homemade head with 2 6550's in the output. This is sort of a Marshall/Sunn type of thing, with Partridge transformers from an old Sound City amp. It gets quite loud and crunchy. There are two input channels, one of them using a 5840 subminiature pentode. After I built this, I sold my last manufactured amp(VHT Deliverance) because I like this better.

6. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

This amp belongs to TGP poster Phantasm:

[​IMG]

The amp/chassis came from a movie projector. He rehoused it and I did a cap job, added fuse cap, power cord, etc. The amp has a 5y3, 2 6v6's, a 6j7, a 6j5 and a 6sn7. There was a third 6v6 used as an oscillator for the optical pickup, but I got rid of that and some other uneccessary parts. It sounds great.

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

[​IMG]
    Picked this up at World Music in Simi Valley, CA in 1990 for $275. Approx 1980 Model 165 with the 200-watt EVL. Switchable FET/Tube (12AX7) front end. Switchable 100/60 watts--4 6L6GCs. Weighs 85 lbs. Stupefying cleans, unlimited headroom. Huge bottom end, good for urban renewal, will blow walls down.