Show your 'Five Minute Setup' Rig!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jahn, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

One barrier I've found that gets in the way of creative inspiration or initiating some old fashioned woodshedding practice is this:

It takes longer than five minutes to set up a rig.

When I'm away from home, that's an obvious barrier. It's a luxury to have a space away from home that can get all set up in under five minutes. Do you have one? Show me! And tell me how you got it ready in five!

When I'm at home, it's even worse - because there's less motivation. At least when you're away from home, practice or playing is on the agenda. That's why you got off your couch in the first place, right? But practice at home? Sometimes a distraction or low motivation can deter you if a setup takes longer than five minutes - especially if you don't have your rig all or partially laid out already.

DAW? Let's be honest. Setting up a computer rig can take just as long, if not longer.

So how do you do it? This is my solution:

Keep a small light amp combo behind the TV. Every time I plop down in front of the TV, I think 'why don't I turn off the boob tube and just grab that amp behind it instead?' I reach over, lift the amp up, and put it next to the couch.

Next I need a guitar. My place is BONE dry so keeping it on a stand would be bad - if you live somewhere kinder, save a minute and keep it on a stand next to the couch. Don't fool yourself by putting it next to your man cave or home studio - the couch is primo insta-inspiration practice real estate. Me? I keep my Clapton Strat in a gig bag under the couch. It's a versatile guitar for many types of genres, and the gig bag ensures a light transition to my hands without lugging out a hardcase and leaving tracks on the carpet.

Third, a pedalboard. Again, a softcase. Again, fits under the couch. Don't even bother taking it out of the bag. Arrange your pedals so you can plug in easily in and out of the board. And have your power cables organized - mine boil down to the Pedalpower cable, and the Boss CE-1 cable. So three sockets are needed - one for the amp, two for the pedalboard. So I make sure the socket next to the couch always has 3 open sockets on a power strip.

Capo. Picks. Whammy bar. All that lives in the gigbag pocket. Getting too far from the couch to look for accessories can get you distracted. Strike while the iron is hot. I used to keep that stuff in an altoids tin on the pedalboard, but some days you want to just play sans board - but you always need a guitar. Thus, stuff them into the guitar gigbag pocket.

Tune up. Plug in. Play. Enjoy rediscovering your Deluxe Memory Man and how you can generate endless self-oscillation and still play some gorgeous crap over the sonic landscape you set up.

Five minutes, and here's my sofa practice rig:

[​IMG]

Show me your rig, and your routine and your reasoning. Is it similar to mine?

Oh, one more thing - I keep my iPhone handy with the Evernote app. Sometimes the lyrics I jotted down on Evernote resonate with something I discover in practice - or some lyrics pop into my head when playing and I want to jot them down for later. And of course, you want that iPhone around to take TGP pics ;)

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

same way I do for gigs.

My pedal board bag has shoulder straps, as does my amp head. So my board goes on my left shoulder, head goes on right shoulder, and rests on the cabinet in my right hand. Guitar is in left hand.

Set down cabinet, set head on top, set down board I front of it. unpack the board [cables and speaker cable and a surge protector are in there as well], and set up board. unpack head, and plug it in to the protector and turn on the amp on 'standby'. Then unpack the guitar and plug it in. Tune up to my board tuner, and then turn the amp off standby. Ready in about 5 minutes.

3. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

That's pretty much me too, but I have a combo, so I don't have to deal with the speaker cable. I use the extra time to get a beer, since I play better after drinking.
    I do agree with the OP's premise that a quick setup can lead to either more playing for practice, or a more enjoyable gigging experience. I gig 10-15 times a month, so a complicated setup would get old quick.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

IME, pedalboard is not necessary for practicing. Hardly an amp.
    An unugged electric is handy when lounging on the couch. A simple workhorse acoustic is my practice tool of choice.
    If I need to play electrified, I have a champ sized Goodsell tweed. I also have a Bluetooth receiver on my studio monitors so I don't have to cuss with plugging in a devise to play jam along music.

I have an Apogee Jam to use with my IOS devises, but I think it takes longer than 5 minutes to get set up with headphones and iPad and guitar comfortably.

5. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

My setup takes a bit, but if I'm running mono I can be done in about 5 minutes.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I play best after NO drinking.

Now, a few years ago, after "smoking".........Maybe. :)

6. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Take out guitar 1, put strap on, put slide in pocket, tune to open E or standard. Put on double stand. Put snark on top of amp clipped to the handle.

Take out guitar 2 (if applicable), put strap on, tune to standard. Put on double stand.

Put amp on stage, plug into wall. *If using my big amp I have to plug the head into the cab*

Turn amp on, turn volume up to ten, plug cable in.

Done.

If it's a gig without full house sound I spend an extra minute or two setting up an SM58 for my vocals and a ribbon mic on my amp.

5 minutes max.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I will add that my live rig is up and running in about 5 minutes. That is from the moment I unlatch my amp case to playing first note in tune with a mic on the amp.

8. bt2513

bt2513 Member

Live setup is probably 5 minutes. Never counted.

Practice setup is pick up guitar, plug into my audio interface, unlock computer, open Ableton. My default template already has a clean amp and the inputs routed appropriately. Takes about 30 secs. Ableton is useful for practice because of its metronome, drum loops, and looping capabilities.

9. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Sorry, I guess you DID ask to SEE them...

Here's an older shot, but this is basically what it is..

[​IMG]

10. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I rarely plug in at home. Usually, I just play whichever guitar is closest. Occasionally I'll plug in to an amp that's sitting in my studio. My gigging amp never leaves the trunk of the car.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You can fire up a daw that quick? Impressive. I'm a bit slow at it, maybe it's the old apogee duet slowing me down.

I've tried the 'play my electric acoustically' thing, but honestly it's not that inspiring. As said above, I'd rather just reach for an actual acoustic.

To get an electric rig up and running super quick would be ideal though. Some good time shortcuts above, thanks for the shares.

12. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

5 second practice rig here

I rarely practice plugged in :)

13. mikebat

mikebat Member

Home rig varies. Sometimes its just my Tele which sits next ti my work desk. I have a Snark on it. Sometimes its my LP or Strat in a POD HD500x which is plugged into my audio interface, i turn on YouTube or my daw depending on what i feel like playing to. Or ...its one of the amps, either straight in or through my pedal board (if i have not gigged or rehearsed in t be last day ir two)

None of these takes more than a minute to get up and going. After years of home recording, you either develop a way to get up and going fast or you have broken the flow of inspiration.

14. natebrown

natebrown Member

Here's my 5 minute rig.. Guitar>wahwah>distortion>octafuzz>phaser>amp with delay on :) [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. mattg2123

mattg2123 Member

I know what the OP is getting at and I've tried to get my sofa guitar on but my wife keeps getting in the way of it. I even tried to go for the unplugged electric and I still get hated on for making too much noise even playing unplugged and quietly. Think her ears must be far far more sensitive than mine.

Oh wait, they are! She hasn't played loud guitar at band practice and seen shows with ear splitting volumes involved!

16. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I practice mostly with my unplugged electric but I do always set up my rig when I get home. It takes 5 minutes tops and I like to have everything ready at a moments notice.

17. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

At home everything is set up in my office. The amps are already miked and the board is plugged in. I just turn it all on and play. If I want to record I just fire up Logic. If I need to be quiet, there's a DI plugged into a channel on my 828 and I just plug the board into that and use Guitar Rig for an amp with headphones. It's not quite the same but it does the job just fine...those aren't optimal situations where you need to sit around grumping about not having the perfect tone...you just want to play. No need to be precious about things in that situation.

In the rare times I gig these days, I break it down, put the top on the board and load it all up. I can set it up in a few minutes...no biggie, nothing complicated at all.

There's a lot to be said about having a setup ready and close at hand when inspiration strikes, though.