Show your G&L Love........

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Denny, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I own 3 G&L's - a very-custom-built-for-me Comanche, an ASAT Special and an ASAT Classic. Having played guitar for over 45 years, I've probably owned every commerically available make and model made at one time or another, and have to say the G&L's are the best "Fender-style" guitars being made today. Head & Heels over Fender - still (mostly) handbuilt - one at a time. I'll show you mine if you'lll show me yours:

Hardtail comanche

[​IMG]

ASAT Special (3-bolt)
    [​IMG]

Asat Classic:
    [​IMG]

Denny

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Well, I've had a bunch of classics, a legacy and a bluesboy which were great. I REALLY wanted an ASAT Z3 or a Comanche, but I felt the used prices were too high <which is kind of ridiculous because they are hit so hard on the used market, but you get used to the pricing after a while>.
    So, I found a NEW Legacy for $899 and I went for it (the guy took a partial trade as well). It's a little "pretty" for my tastes, but it's time for me to start relicing my gear by actually playing the crap out of it! Can't see the gun oil tint glossy neck, but it's badass.

[​IMG]

3. Denny

Denny Member

she's a beaut! I don't understand why they take a hit either. They are, in fact, Leo's last metamorphosis on his dreams!! I can't see why anyone would buy a fender when Leo hasn't had any influence on that company for over 20 years - and it shows in their quality.

Great guitar - play the **** out of it.

d.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Denny, that Comanche is stunning! I have never even tried a Comanche, I sure as heck need to!

Here's my '96 Special. I'm quite fond of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Denny

Denny Member

Nice - a Twin and a Special - doesn't get much batter than that!! The comanches are awesome. Not quite a Strat - that's what the Legacys and 500's are for. The comanche has it's own sound like the Specials so I don't really consider them a "F" copy. The Z-pups are hot, smooth, but with plenty of definition and bite, plus there a nice passive bass roll-off which brings it down to the more twangy stage. It's my main gigging single-coil-type guitar. It's nice to be able to say that you had a guitar built speciffically for you. Keep on twanging bro'. Long live G&L :eek:)

6. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I had a broadcaster, but that has gone.
    Still got my first "serious" guitar...a 1981 F-100 hardtail..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jcground

jcground Member

Here are my two:

1982 SC-3 (the first body shape):
    [​IMG]

1992 S-500 (3-bolt, Sperzels):
    [​IMG]

8. Denny

Denny Member

sweet - that F-100 looks very similar to the MusicMan Sabre II (Leo owned MM for a little while) Is it active? Bass and Treble controls and a boost?

D.

9. buchla300

buchla300 Member

The F-100 isn't active. They did an active one. It does have bass and treble though. Then master volume and series/out of phase switches and the 3 way toggle.
    As a side note I had a Musicman Sabre that had a battery compartment BUT no connecting hole to the electrics and was passive. Seems they didn't make passive ones but I reckon it could have been they were trying it out pre G&L.

10. Denny

Denny Member

My Sabre II was one of the best guitars I ever played/owned. I wonder why Leo sold MusicMan and started G&L?

D.

11. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Supporting Member

12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I have the book "Guitars from George and Leo" written (and hand signed by George Fullerton)

Lea never "sold" MM. He funded the venture with some former Fender associates, who then tried to screw he and George out of the guitar manufacturing business they started.

George & Leo had made plans to manufacture all the guitars for MM, and did all the pre-production, R&D and developed the machinery nesesscary to build guitars. MM made all the amps and did the marketing. MM then stopped purchasing the guitars from Leo, in hopes of putting him out of business, and then they (MM) would take over the manufacturing facility he and George had built!

George and Leo had enough capitol to stay afloat, and ended up going their own way, starting G&L.

It's a good book for a G&L fan, and I think you can still get them from Buffalo Bros (largest G&L dealer in the US, maybe the world)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  13. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Hi all,
    I'm a recent newcomer to G&L, even though I've been playing since 1980.
    I have five G&Ls now (!) the first was a new BLuesboy semi hollow purchased in April. At about the same time a used ASAT III came on the market and as I'm a lefty and they are so hard to come by I got that one a couple of week later.
    I got three more in the last 2 weeks, I have GAS bad at the moment, an S-500 Deluxe, a Legacy HB and a Legacy 2HB, all used and all mint.
    Truth is all three cost me less than one new Fender CS reissue.
    Here are pics of the first two ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Denny

Denny Member

Thanks for the skinny on what truly happened to Leo and George.

Welcome southpaw guy.

15. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Custom ASAT Z3 with Bigsby:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Denny

Denny Member

Dude!!! that should be illegal!!!

17. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I gotta learn how to take better pix. My 1993 Legacy is totally stock (with Seymour Duncans). It has the best in-between sounds of anything I've heard. My ASAT Classic is awesome, also with Seymour Duncans aftermarket.

What great workhorse guitars; great sounds, totally solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

My ASAT Deluxe. Ebony board with Bigsby.
    [​IMG]

19. Denny

Denny Member

Gotta love G&L .

20. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Here is my latest G&L. [​IMG]
    I need to get a better picture but, its a 25th Anniversary! Number 176 of 250! I love the plain jane-ness about it. One thing extraordinary about it is the neck. I have never played a G&L with as fat a neck as this one. My dad's Comanche with the V-neck was close but different. Its monstrous. I absolutely love it too. I don't think I have ever had a proper neck for my hands because I played this thing for literally 3 hours in the morning straight and then another 3 in the evening straight yesterday and there is absolutely no pain or even stress in my hand. So... this one is really winning me over and I have had about 3 different guitars come and go in the last month. I think the search is over...