Show your KLEIN

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by rgsss14, Jul 2, 2006.

1. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I know there is quite a bit of "controversy" surrounding these guitars recently with respect to their availability, but nevertheless they are esoteric, well playing instruments.

This is a '98 BF96 chambered swamp ash with the rosewood neck and board (Novax), Barden pickups, and an additional piezo output.

The guitar resonates like crazy, acoustically, but the Bardens, I feel, are too hot for the guitar.

Anyone know what's going on with the company, of late?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/rgsss14/DSC00601.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/rgsss14/DSC00602.jpg

Enjoy.:dude

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Not mine anymore, but here's my old one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yours is a beauty, fwiw I found the Barden's that mine came with to be too hot too, I switched them for the Z-90's that you can see in the pics and I think they suited the guitar a lot better.

No idea what's happening with Klein right now, I do know I waited an eternity for mine and, judging by the comments I've read, the wait time is only getting longer.

3. rgsss14

Yours is a beauty as well - when did you get it and how long was the wait, actually? In '98, believe it or not, the wait was about 10 months.

I can't tell - but is that a fixed bridge?

4. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

Wish I had one to show. I have been wanting one of these forever.
    Beafutiful instruments.

5. rgsss14

Would love to see pictures of more Kleins!

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I ordered it in 2000 I think, I got it almost three years later... and I was relieved to get it all, I had pretty much given up on it and tried to cancel my order when it showed up.

Good eyes! Yup, that is a solid spruce body, the trem is a regular Steiny S trem ( I took the arm out for the photo) the pups are Harmonic Design Z-90's.

To be honest, I never bonded with it, I was expecting a goldtop when this (admittedly gorgeous) honey stain showed up.
    Along with a few other niggles andthe fact I couldn't get it to balance right sitting down (it always fely like it was built for someone a few inches taller) so I decided to sell it.
    A guy in Sweden bought it and loves it, he had Johan Gustavsson do some work on it, and uses it all the time.

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I remember seeing pix of Splatt playing one in GP magazine.
    Wonder if he still has it?
    S.
    j

8. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Thanks for supplying my new desktop image!

A few questions: What is the neck radius? How does the guitar feel when played standing? Did you have to adapt any area of your technique because of the fanned frets (bends, chords), or can you play it just like a "normal" guitar?

9. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

rgsss14: check your e-mail. I sent you pix of my two to be posted. (my pic-hosting service is down)

TNJ: AFAIK splatt still has one of his.

Superlocrian: The neck radius is 12 in.

The guitar feels great played standing. It balances perfectly and the neck angle allows much more freedom for the left hand, wrist, and arm. You won't look or feel much like Jimmy Page, however.

Although I didn't end up getting the fanned frets, I have played a couple of Kleins with them. I found them *very* easy to adapt to, in fact a lot of things, especially chords involving wider-than-usual stretches, were easier than on a traditional fretboard. I also found, surprisingly, that playing slide was no problem at all!

Unburst: yours is one of my all-time faves in the looks department.

10. rgsss14

Kingsley - thanks for the pics - beautiful - esp the pomegranate stain - I'll try to post them when I get home from work tonight.

I completely agree with your assessment on how the guitar plays sitting/standing.

The Novax board is very easy to adapt to, and it really lends itself to "proper" conventional playing. The Novax obviously gives you the compound scales but on the first string it feels even smaller than 24.75 - pretty crowded on the higher frets. Interesting comment about the slide playing - you are right! If you are not in open tuning it is very easy to play slide because of the natural fret angles.

However, in those instances where you really want to dig in and do the thumb over the neck stuff, the fanned frets feel slightly awkward.

If I knew what was going on with the Co. I'd seriously think about getting another one with a conventional fretboard.

Yeah, Unburst wins, I think - I'll have to keep that honey stain in mind for something else in the future - it is very striking - makes you have to decide when you pick up the guitar whether you should play it or eat it.

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

Thanks K!

No longer mine of course, but it is a pretty one.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I had an amber spruce Klein w/ humbuckers. I liked mine, but similar to Unburst, I didn't fully bond with it. I sold it a few months back. No photos, sorry.

13. rgsss14

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look great!

15. rgsss14

Unburst, you need to teach me how to do that, seriously :)

FraterB - awesome pics, esp of that harp guitar.... thanks

16. Unburst

Unburst Member

Put a pic in your post?
    When you find a pic you want to post, copy the image address.

Now, see the button with the little mountain pic on top of the reply window?
    Click that and paste in the img address and viola!

17. Robertito

Robertito Member

Here's my Klein story: in 1993 I called Steve Klein to ask him if he had any bodies to sell, in order to use my Steinberger neck and bridge. He had a couple of black ones (the color I wanted, anyway) that were described as having second-quality finishes, and I bought one for 125.00. I put a tortoise pickguard on it, and still play it. I had to hand roll the edges on the Steinberger neck, though.

Never did find a problem with the finish.

18. rgsss14

Unburst, you have opened up a new world for me...:D

Robertito -any pics?

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

is it me or is that guitar the ugliest axe on the face of the planet? I think i may buy one!

20. Robertito

Robertito Member

No camera, I regret to say, but, as Benny Hill used to say, "I like it, sir."