• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Show Your Love- For ABC!

DustyRhodesJr

A forgotten pop band of the early 80's, they left a legacy
of a lot of great songs.

Lead singer Martin Fry had one of the best pop voices ever,
and the band were fine musicians. They even used Nick
Beggs on bass some later on.

"The Look of Love", "Poison Arrow", "When Smokey Sings",
"Be Near Me", and "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" were all
big hits.

The album "The Lexicon of Love" was always a favorite and
I still listen to it every week or two. The band is still going,
would love to see a tour come through.

I wonder if there are any other fans around here?

projam619

"The Look of Love" is a brilliant song. I'm still waiting for someone like Beyonce to cover it. "Be Near Me' is one of my old faves. Their songwriting was top-notch as far as pop music is concerned.

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
British bands seem to have been really good at taking American music forms that were either largely unknown or that had become dated, and recycling those forms into shiny new pop that the kids ate up. ABC, along with Wham, Culture Club, and others, was essentially 60s Motown with a new coat of paint. I didn't much care for ABC specifically at the time, but have grown to appreciate it a little as the years pass.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I liked them too...but I was bigger on Spandau Ballet and Roxy Music's "Avalon" from that era.

flume

Double Platinum Member
a really forgotten gem is when ABC decided to strap on the electric guitars (and other new romantics like Ultravox followed suite) and released a masterpiece: Beauty Stab. Not one single bad song on it. And it holds up today too.

I gather I will be alone in this appreciation. Again.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I used to dig them back in the 80's. haven't heard then in years though. I'll have to look them up.

DustyRhodesJr

a really forgotten gem is when ABC decided to strap on the electric guitars (and other new romantics like Ultravox followed suite) and released a masterpiece: Beauty Stab. Not one single bad song on it. And it holds up today too.

I gather I will be alone in this appreciation. Again.

IIRC, that was their second album that came out to little
initial critical acclaim.

But fans thought it was great, and critics have changed
their minds over the years. It is a really good album.

VHS analog

The production by Trevor Horn on The Lexicon of Love made them what they are, and really launched their career. Not to downplay the talent of ABC, but it was always my feeling that Trevor Horn was the genius behind that album. I wish they would have stuck with him.

Top Bottom