Show Your Pedalboard: 2020

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BerkeleyJones, Dec 30, 2019.

1. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I keep trying to replace it, thinking that there must be something better. But I can't find anything that comes close - there's a massive list of stuff that it does completely right.

RE the overdrive and distortion, it is very easy and quick to get a good basic sound, as the two distortion circuits are a modded tubescreamer and a RAT, both with simple 3 knob operation.

Beyond this however, you can dive very deep by using the 3 band Parametric EQ and the compressor. After all, the difference between say a Klon and a Timmy and a Tubescreamer and a Bluesbreaker is subtle EQ and compression differences. By starting with either the Nova System 'overdrive' (mid hump, bass cut and treble cut) or the 'distortion' (flatter EQ), you can add little bits of EQ and compressor and push it towards any number of overdrive sounds. Most of my OD sounds are the distortion circuit with the gain set very low and often a little bit of EQ.

A couple of other things which make the Nova System awesome:
    Balanced inputs and outputs - which means I can run long leads and come balanced out of my wireless system into the unit, and could go balanced out to the amp if I wanted to.
    The layout is super practical, with 3 presets available at all times. I have mine set to Clean, OD, Lead - but there are still instance access buttons for Modulation, Pitch, Delay, Boost and Tap Tempo, so you can add or take stuff from your preset easily.
    It's a IEC input, no wall wart or expensive power supply needed.
    It's very easy to program and you can store single favourite FX and add them to any preset in seconds.
    It's very small but built tough

In summary, its a great unit from back in the day when TC Electronics made killer stuff. As I can't find anything better at the moment, I should probably buy a second as backup . . .

valvestate and david(j) like this.
  2. chicrito

chicrito Member

3. Luecack

Luecack Member

4. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

5. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

Which Friedman board is that?

I have the 1530. Which is way too big. But with a couple big Strymon pedals and a full-size wah, I’ve been afraid the 1525 is going to be too small. Your pic gives me hope.

6. Bill Lumberg

I know that in my case, I have a big board with lots of pedals for writing/goofing around at home, a smaller board for gigs with only 7-8 pedals tops and a mini board that can just be plugged in to the front of a back line amp at jams. I also keep a handwritten journal of my pedal settings for tone reference. Ill notate a mnemonic device to use to recall when needed. I also use a TC Electronic Wiretap when I'm just experimenting so I can listen back later in case I have a 'happy accident'. Just like we all learn in different ways, we also are inspired in different ways. I found that I draw a lot of inspiration in the new sounds that pedals bring to my playing while with other players it may be amps or guitars or picks or a non-gear related muse. And as for the toddler scenario, my kids knew not to touch my gear from birth until they became old enough to be responsible around it. Now, I've got to worry about my daughter nicking some of my gear for HER rig and she's 27! I get that your initial comment was flippant and taken too seriously by a few folks but, hey, the internet is renowned for respectful disagreements, isn't it?

bluesjunior likes this.
  7. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

JJ321, radiocure, pyna and 9 others like this.
  8. Classic09

Classic09 Member

I created a ‘thing’. It’s my practise/rehearsal/flyrig board. It works straight in to an amp or using 4 cable method. It can also go direct into the PA if required, thanks to the preamp and Peterson DI out.

it doesn’t replace my main board.

9. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Guitars: Gretsch g6112 TCB-JR and K-Line Truxton Special dual P90

Amp: Dr. Z Z-LUX

I still have my bigger pedaltrain Classic 2 but it’s in shambles right now. This little board does 95% of what I need

10. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

The HT-1 is an amazing practice amp. I set it on the edge of breakup on the clean channel myself and I find that it takes pedals extremely well. It sounds great without blowing my ears out everytime I play. I love my HT-1

tobereleased and Steve Mavronis like this.
  11. MarkV

MarkV Member

After many changes this is it for now (I think):

[​IMG]

12. prsjcm

prsjcm Member

Whole bunch of Centura's here. Nik has to be making a killing on them.

I sure love mine!

mustachio and Bill Lumberg like this.
  13. john l

john l Supporting Member

Swapped a couple things out. Finally gave BSM a whirl for my treble booster needs and am thoroughly impressed. I went with the Metal Treble Booster which is their take on Iommi's modded range master and I couldn't be happier. Also had to try out the new Crazy Tube Circuits phaser. Very happy with my board at this point.

[​IMG]

Zer0beaT, radiocure, bigjon and 11 others like this.
  14. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

OP here. Fell off the wagon rather quickly. I added back a real spring reverb pedal in the White Whale (had one for two years but sold due to stage rattle.. decided what the hell) and also added a treble booster, finally! With a Tele through an HRD & ‘59 Bassman. The mini vent continues to impress me as well. Gorgeous clean tones on the slow rotary speed.

15. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Couple of changes.
    Marvel Drive out / Dirty Shirley is way in. Pic is from a gig I did last night doing 3 sets with 2 different bands covering classic rock & blues in one & ratm / my chem / Fallout Boy / Dashboard Confessional etc. in the other.

Top row is cramped from throwing in the Boss PS for one rage tune I needed whammy on. Wah on board but out of the shot.

Super fun night with a rare chance to share the stage with a lifelong friend visiting the states from Singapore.

[​IMG]

16. Bill Lumberg

A Waggi pedalboard! Outstanding choice:aok

17. Lomeos

Lomeos Member

This is the latest incarnation of my board:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Strymon Volante and the Tumnus are on a separate board in the fx loop of the Victory VC35, with a Gigrig Remote Loopy2 for switching The rest is in front of the amp. I use G2 to switch patches on the Volante via midi and to control both the Volante and the Tumnus. I use the Tumnus as a boost for leads. I am very happy with this setup and it's fairly easy to drag around. For small gigs I also have a simple 1x12 cab.

18. Fender30

Fender30 Member

So many nice pedalboards, you guys have out there! These are mine as of Jan 2020...

Pumaman Custom Pedalboard #117 with Strymon Trifecta and Boss MS-3

[​IMG]

This is a large pedalboard that I use at home for practice and recording. The MS-3 switches the drive pedals and other effects in front of the amp,
    and the Strymon pedals are all in the effects loop of my Mesa Mark-V 35 amplifier. The amp goes into a Universal Audio OX and then into the mixer and DAW.