• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Show Your Pedalboard: 2020

Frank67

This ISN'T the spaceship? :eek: This is total dedication if it's a backup board.
I know, I know - it is a form of madness :) I have built the most elaborate pedalboards and setups over the years - and I admit that I am having a total blast with it. At some point soon, it will have to stop, but I have greatly and thoroughly enjoyed collecting pedals, thinking about possible ways to stack and combine them and turn them into easy to use great sounding setups. I have learned a lot in the process. Do I *need* that? Certainly not, who does? But the fun factor for the grown up kids like me is just enormous.

stargazer747

I know, I know - it is a form of madness :) I have built the most elaborate pedalboards and setups over the years - and I admit that I am having a total blast with it. At some point soon, it will have to stop, but I have greatly and thoroughly enjoyed collecting pedals, thinking about possible ways to stack and combine them and turn them into easy to use great sounding setups. I have learned a lot in the process. Do I *need* that? Certainly not, who does? But the fun factor for the grown up kids like me is just enormous.
My thoughts exactly as I've done the same thing repeatedly.
Signed,
Acknowledged and proud pedal junkie!

Frank67

ok....now we want to see the Spaceship..
ok, I bite :)

Since the last time I showed it here, there was a minor update - my Musicians Sound Design Wah Wah died and I replaced it with a MC404. The MSD was a tone sucker and it never really worked correctly. Not sure that I am hooked on the MC404 - it is just something I had available.

Here is then the spaceship (custom SchmidtArray SA900):
Signal flow:
Input -> Decimator in/out -> Wah Wah
-> G2
L1: Cali76 (Best compressor ever ... perhaps with the Unit67)
L2: Ruby Red Booster (a treble booster)
L3: Archer (klon type mid boosty)
L4: Rams Head Muff (awesome!)
L5: Real Tube Tube Driver modded by Massimo Mantovani (also awesome!)
L6: Morning Glory (great blues breaker low gain)
L7: Revival Drive Compact (best OD pedal ever - reacts beautifully to the various boosters)
-> Send -> Dry out and Send
-> Return -> Decimator again (the actual elimination loop) -> Lehle Master Volume
-> Back to G2
L8: All Boss Modulations
L9+10: H9s (Stereo)
-> Stereo out
So you see that the general layout of the pedals is quite similar but there are a few more here and also the H9s are very powerful. In general, the first (L9) has a few delay presets and the second (L10) a few reverb and rotary presets the I use manually. but then for weirder Floyd stuff, I actually use the MIDI for additional sounds. The modulation pedals are in the same loop and it strikes the right balance for me in terms of versatility vs see of use. I tried MultiFx in that spot and never got along with them. These are all great sounding pedals that I really like.

The tuner out in the G2 is assigned to the secondary function. The little MIDI thingy over the Lehle is there to send Patch names to an iPad (but usually I have it memorized so well that I don't need it).

I typically use one bank in which I have five rhythm and 3 solo sounds and the other buttons are set to stomp box mode. In this way it is easy to use and yet flexible. For Floyd stuff I have presets in the other banks. I also sometimes run into my Marshall JVM and then the G2 MIDI can be be used to switch channels.

I have gigged with this a number of times and it was always perfect. Dead quiet even with single coils and high gain and glorious sounding. (but admittedly I am not a gigging musician, just a passionate hobbyist and we only play a couple of gigs a year - and yes, I really don't need all that gear and I am not even a great player by any means ... just having fun with it)

Last edited:

LawrenceBr

It probably qualifies as pathetic, but this is my backup board - the intention was to keep it simple this time.
... and it kind of is a lot simpler and lighter than my main spaceship - but it is not that simple.

Everything sounds great and is quiet and hum free.
The signal chain is:
input -> CryBaby in true bypass Wah pad
-> Crocodile tail loop (non-buffered input - the Naga Viper doesn't like buffers)
L1: Okko Coca Comp
L2: Naga Viper treble booster
L3: Green Persian Tube Screamer
L4: Vick Audio Ram's Head Muff
L5: Keeley Super Phat Mod Overdrive
L6: JHS Angry Charly v3 Distortion
L7: MXR Phase 95
-> To Crocodile Tail Loop Buffer -> Send
-> Return -> Mooer noise killer (mostly off) -> Lehle Mono Volume
L8: LongAmp Roxanne Flanger
L9: Callisto Chorus
L10: Belle Epoch Delay
-> Output
Also, there is MIDI going out to the patch bay and the tuner out is going to the Polytune mini.

The Crocodile tail loop can be run in manual mode to turn individual loops on or off or has 10 banks with seven sounds each. I either use just bank 1 with a few standard sounds or use manual mode.

The board can be used in front of a clean amp or can be used with an Fx loop and then channel switching can be MIDI triggered (my Marshall JVM 210).

A nice touch is the True Bypass Wah pad. It takes the tonesucker CryBaby out of the signal path until I step on it and then it is in. Very convenient and it really works beautifully.

I get the point of backup guitars and amps, but what is a backup pedalboard?

Frank67

It stays in the rehearsal room when I don't want to schlepp the heavy main board around. And apart from that - same reason as for having backup amps and guitars - deal with unexpected sudden equipment failure, try things out without disassembling the main board (but this backup one has converged and I don't want to change anything). Finally, ok, admittedly it is also just fun to toy around.

It's really just an excuse for us to buy more pedals than we really need. The best thing are those "grab 'n go board" for when you get invited to a spontaneous session. As if this would happen all the time considering that most TGP members are bedroom players.

Last edited:

LawrenceBr

It stays in the rehearsal room when I don't want to schlepp the heavy main board around. And apart from that - same reason as for having backup amps and guitars - deal with unexpected sudden equipment failure, try things out without disassembling the main board (but this backup one has converged and I don't want to change anything). Finally, ok, admittedly it is also just fun to toy around.
Alright. I just never really understood how a board would malfunction, especially when everything is secured properly, and a loop switcher is being used. Unless one would take it with him on an airplane and/or it goes through customs, I don't get it. But it does seem to happen, and perhaps I'm lucky. Anyway, enjoy the board, it's killer
(oh the trying out part makes sense as well, especially when suffering from GAS).

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member

* EQD Swiss Things:
- Loop 1: Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise fuzz, Fairfield Barbershop OD, Union Tube & Transistor Swindle OD
- Loop 2: Red Panda Particle v2 delay, AC Noises AMA reverb, Cooper FX Generation Loss, CBA Gravitas tremolo, CBA Thermae analog delay, Pladask Elektrisk Draume reverb
* Pladask Elektrisk Fabrikat
* EQD Afterneath
* Montreal Assembly Count to Five
* EHX 720 looper

jrstinkfish

Nothing too fancy, I'm just a bedroom (well, home office) player. I tend to churn through distortion pedals though (unpopular opinion probably, but the MT-2 is my favorite and isn't going anywhere ever), so the Joyo and Revv will probably not be there in a few months.

vibrostrat43

Here's my latest update. Replaced the Morningstar MC6 with the new MIDI Baby 3 (more functionality in the MC6 than I needed), and removed my Neunaber Seraphim. Those 2 changes made space for a Source Audio Collider, and since it can be controlled via MIDI my setup is even more functional and changeable than before with the MC6.

65inside

Here's my latest update. Replaced the Morningstar MC6 with the new MIDI Baby 3 (more functionality in the MC6 than I needed), and removed my Neunaber Seraphim. Those 2 changes made space for a Source Audio Collider, and since it can be controlled via MIDI my setup is even more functional and changeable than before with the MC6.

How do you setup the MIDI for the Collider and the Stomp? How are you using the Midi baby 3?

Little_Wing

Well I guess it was inevitable starting a second board. I just had to get a few more pedals to round off my needs.

My delay is mounted above my amp and is in the loop. I prefer it there anyway as I fiddle with it a lot so I don't have to bend over every time.

vibrostrat43

How do you setup the MIDI for the Collider and the Stomp? How are you using the Midi baby 3?
Just with CC messages. The external foot switch is also plugged into the MIDI Baby 3 effectively giving me 5 fully programmable switches to play with.

Due to spacing my layout goes

Snapshot 1- external left footswitch
Snapshot 2- external right footswitch
Snapshot 3- MIDI Bay left footswitch

The middle footswitch on the MIDI Baby is the tallest one and easiest to press so it’s set to control tap tempo on both units and with the hold function to engage and disengage the tuner.

The MIDI Baby right footswitch scrolls up between 4 presets on the Collider.

The left and right MIDI Baby footswitch are also set to scroll up and down presets on the Stomp after a short hold.

My snapshots are just basically varying levels of drive (with other amp parameter and/or drive parameter changes to polish the sound at that level of distortion).

Each preset on the Collider has the expression wheel dialed in between a good dry and good wet sound so that I can dial it in on the fly for each specific sound (I run into reverbs and delay mix level problems live more often than I do drive and EQ issues).

I’m also thinking about adding a hold function to one of the external footswitches to automatically switch to a swell sound by:
Changing to snapshot 1
Switching to the swell preset on the Collider
Turning on any added delay or modulation blocks in the Stomp

It’s basically half a Morningstar MC6 in how I was using it (without the screen which I didn’t need).

MarkV

Gold Supporting Member
Excellent stuff keeps coming in! That Strymon Flint has to be the most celebrated pedal by far. It is featured in almost every page, for a good reason obviously ;)
I really like the flint as it is pretty on par price wise (considering you need to buy a reverb and tremolo), comes in a small package and the tremolo sounds great ( I use the tube and harmonic the most)
But if you are looking for the best Reverb, there are better options. Especially the spring reverb is, imho, not very good, just doesn't sound like a real spring reverb.
Having bought and sold three Flints already, I know it is hard to replace, but if I could find a nice (tube) spring - like reverb and tube-like tremolo, I would again try to replace it.

Trending Topics