Show your pedalboard: 2021

Kestrel

A bit of an update before the new year.

94ACC2AD-658E-4930-9573-00882FFC39EE.jpeg

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
It’s been a whole 6 weeks since my last post, so I figured I better get in under the wire and post my slightly tweaked board. The Protein is a game changer, and I could easily get by without either or both of the other drives. But I like them so much, and the various stacked combos are as good as I’ve ever been able to dial in. In particular, the Savior Machine (set fairly clean) into the green side of the Protein is absolutely killer!

doninoakland

An update about my amp-less board. The previous rendition was more than I needed and I decided to simplify. New path:
Texas Twang up front (as many people recommended), going to into Gladio, Kingsley, Xotic SP, and CAB M+. Then the TCE Flashback II, Keeley Hydra, and the Caline DI Box / headphone amp.

1640804386167.png

Sounded great when I had the Strymon Flint on there, but it physically didn't fit. The Hydra fits better but now I have some EMF bleeding from the Hydra into the CAB M+ causing a squeal, so I need to do some shielding. Once I get that figured out, this should be a pretty sweet-sounding rig.

The dongle hanging out of the DI Box is the output to my powered speaker. Caline decided to put the headphone out and line out on opposite sides of the pedal (!!!) so one or the other was going to be difficult to access - the dongle was my solution.

Anyone have suggestions how to shield one pedal from an adjacent one?

Another major update, but this rendition is going to last a while
1640804406414.png

Path: Sub-n-Up, Crossfire, Kingsley Maiden D, Xotic SP, Mooer Radar, Donner Echo Square, Keeley Hydra, Caline DI Box.

- The Kingsley, Xotic, and Radar are the base tone.
- The Radar is set to emulate a Blackface Twin with a U87 mic.
- The amp side of the Crossfire gives a sweet edge-of-breakup tone.
- The TS side, combined with the amp side, gives a nice Texas blues lead tone.
- The Donner is set to an analog slap back and is always on.
- The Hydra is currently set to Plate, but I switch to Spring if I want to use the Tremolo too.

I use the Sub-n-Up for a bass sound, into the Kingsley, Xotic, and Mooer. I can run all of this into an RC-500 looper, so it's nice to have a workable bass sound.

The power supply is a rechargeable Joyo (under the board). I can run this into a MiniRig speaker and sub for a totally battery-powered busking setup - it's loud enough and good enough.

Last edited:

doninoakland

I really want to put in a plug for the Crazy Tube Crossfire on my board. I think it’s new and there isn’t much info out there yet - well, there’s a bit of marketing stuff, but not much in the way of real person commentary - so here I go …

I’ve owned and sold the Firebox, Iridium, and Walrus ACS-1. Although I’ve owned several Amplifires, the ACS-1 was definitely my favorite. But more than anything, I just wanted a good blackface pedal platform.

If the Crossfire only had the amp side I would love it, but then there’s the Tubescreamer side - which is better than my real TS - to me. YMMV. And, the two sides seem to be mated perfectly.

I think the Crossfire was conceived of as an AIAB, but all the YT demos seem to have it going into an amp. I like having my Crossfire going into the Kingsley.

If you’re in the mood for a Fender-ish AIAB, check out the Crossfire (except they seem to be sold out right now).

Last edited:

NickAudette

Another major update, but this rendition is going to last a while
View attachment 465196

Path: Sub-n-Up, Crossfire, Kingsley Maiden D, Xotic SP, Mooer Radar, Donner Echo Square, Keeley Hydra, Caline DI Box.

- The Kingsley, Xotic, and Radar are the base tone.
- The Radar is set to emulate a Blackface Twin with a U87 mic.
- The amp side of the Crossfire gives a sweet edge-of-breakup tone.
- The TS side, combined with the amp side, gives a nice Texas blues lead tone.
- The Donner is set to an analog slap back and is always on.
- The Hydra is currently set to Plate, but I switch to Spring if I want to use the Tremolo too.

I use the Sub-n-Up for a bass sound, into the Kingsley, Xotic, and Mooer. I can run all of this into an RC-500 looper, so it's nice to have a workable bass sound.

The power supply is a rechargeable Joyo (under the board). I can run this into a MiniRig speaker and sub for a totally battery-powered busking setup - it's loud enough and good enough.
Have you tried any other IR loaders? The radar is intriguing and I foresee trying one out in the near future.

doninoakland

Have you tried any other IR loaders? The radar is intriguing and I foresee trying one out in the near future.

I spent a bit of time with the CAB M+. I liked the sound, except that it didn't play well with some of my pedals - some crazy EMF interference (I ruled out everything but EMF by having one pedal on battery, another on AC, and taking one of them out of the signal chain - it was definitely radio interference).

The Radar gives me everything I wanted from the CAB M+, minus the noise, and in a smaller case.

I also briefly tried the DSM OmniCabSim Mini ... it's a good product but follows a different (non-IR) approach from the Radar and the CAB M+. Not really anything wrong with the DSM OCS but it was easier for me to transition from the CAB M+ to the Radar.

One other thing about the Radar: Some reviewers criticize the amp sim for not sounding good. Here's what I found:
1. Don't try to push the amp sim, only use it as a clean pedal platform. Get all your gain from your preamp and OD pedals.
2. Some people dislike the amp sims so much they disable the amp sim. Referring to point #1 above, I suspect they were trying to get gain from the amp sim, which won't go well. But if you're ok with a clean base tone, I'd suggest trying different amp and cab and mic combinations until you find the sound you want. I hate fiddling with pedal settings - I usually don't feel confident I know what sound I'm aiming for - but the Radar gave me a good workable sound with very little fiddling.

NickAudette

I spent a bit of time with the CAB M+. I liked the sound, except that it didn't play well with some of my pedals - some crazy EMF interference (I ruled out everything but EMF by having one pedal on battery, another on AC, and taking one of them out of the signal chain - it was definitely radio interference).

The Radar gives me everything I wanted from the CAB M+, minus the noise, and in a smaller case.

I also briefly tried the DSM OmniCabSim Mini ... it's a good product but follows a different (non-IR) approach from the Radar and the CAB M+. Not really anything wrong with the DSM OCS but it was easier for me to transition from the CAB M+ to the Radar.

One other thing about the Radar: Some reviewers criticize the amp sim for not sounding good. Here's what I found:
1. Don't try to push the amp sim, only use it as a clean pedal platform. Get all your gain from your preamp and OD pedals.
2. Some people dislike the amp sims so much they disable the amp sim. Referring to point #1 above, I suspect they were trying to get gain from the amp sim, which won't go well. But if you're ok with a clean base tone, I'd suggest trying different amp and cab and mic combinations until you find the sound you want. I hate fiddling with pedal settings - I usually don't feel confident I know what sound I'm aiming for - but the Radar gave me a good workable sound with very little fiddling.
Awesome. That's great to hear and reassuring. I'll definitely give it a shot next year. I would just use it as a cab and power amp sim and super clean.

Rbh32

19324F94-C2CA-4FCB-9095-2DD3799AC782.jpeg
Finally settled on this pedal order after testing many configurations all day. The bottom row is in front of the amp and the top row is in the effects loop (except the volume box, that’s in the effects loop)
The Fullbore Metal sounds amazing in the effects loop and totally different than in front of the amp.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom