Showman reverb tech question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jusdepoissons, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jusdepoissons

jusdepoissons Member

Hi, I've been lurking tgp since the dawn of time and finally decided to join because I've got a question about a newly acquired late 60s drip edge showman reverb head that i'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with.
    The normal channel eq functions fine, but on the vibrato channel, where I plan on spending most of my time, the bass knob seems to have crapped the bed. It does absolutely nothing to affect the sound, and to me it sounds like it's letting all the bass through, regardless of where it's set. The midrange knob functions as expected, and the treble knob functions as well, although when turned all the way down It silences the channel, whereas turning the treble all the way down on the normal channel does not cause it to go completely silent.

It seems like this should be an easy fix. I'm hoping it's just a matter of replacing the bass pot or something like that. I've yet to crack it open to see if it's as simple as a loose connection.
    Just wondered if anyone had advice on what to look for or has experienced this before. Thanks! (andyesIknow,drainthefiltercaps)

2. Diablo1

Diablo1 Member

It has to be something simple because there are only a few components in the tone stack. A few resistors, some caps and pots. I'd measure the value of every component in the stack with a digital meter. If they have drifted significantly from the design value, replace 'em.