Shrapnel Artist Brett Stine Nails An Impossible Holdsworth Tune!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by iamdavea, May 7, 2016.

1. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

This is Brett Stine, best known for his band Haji's Kitchen. He's been working on "The Drums Were Yellow", from Allan's Sixteen Men of Tain album, for some time. What started as a "Well let's learn that cool lick, and THAT cool line" kind of thing evolved into Brett learning the whole tune. To say that it's wicked hard is, of course, wildly understating the matter. Here it is:

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Cool playing!
    I wonder if Holdsworth writes that or can basically improvise in that style all the time?

3. iamdavea

That particular tune was a start-to-finish improvisation in the studio. It was a tribute to drummer Tony Williams, who Allan played with early in his career.

freedom's door likes this.
  4. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I don't even want to think about the amount of work that went into learning that note for note.

I missed out on all the "later" Shrapnel guys like Stine, Todd Duane, Darren Householder, etc when they first hit the scene.
    By the time they were releasing their albums i was already in my jazz/fusion phase. When i went back and checked out the newer Shrapnel players, the one guy who really stood out was Derek Taylor.

iamdavea likes this.
  5. iamdavea

From the way Brett described breaking it down, I believe he did all the transcribing himself--one wild-ass line at a time. I think, for guys at that level, that's all part of the fun.

6. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Crazy good!!
    his playing on the first Haji's Kitchen album was killer.

Jimmy B and iamdavea like this.
  7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Have seen Allan multiple times here in San Diego playing in this tiny artist's studio to like 100 of us. Is crazy how little his hands move when he solos. No tapping, no gymnastics, but somehow this amazing stuff pours out of him through his guitar.

During a break I walked up and looked at his music sheets. He has his own notation for chords and stuff. Drummer came by, laughed and said " yeah we don't know what that means either." :)

8. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Neat story

It's very inspiring to me that his technique is so fantastic that his hands want to move like that naturally.

I know what I will be thinking about tonight when I get to pick up a guitar again.

9. iamdavea

That's a spectacular album all the way around. The story is that Mike Varney wasn't 100% sure about the band's "sales potential", and only printed 5,000 copies of the Haji's debut. The little press coverage they got in the guitar mags was very enthusiastic.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  10. wajobu

wajobu Supporting Member

The Sixteen Men of Tain is a fabulous album.

iamdavea and freedom's door like this.
  11. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yeah and apparently he studied Slominski's book and absorbed it in depth. Don't know if you've ever seen it, but it is monstrous. Can't begin to even understand how the musical mind of Allan's works, but clearly few can. Which to me is a good thing, he is a true original in the way he plays.

12. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

It actually inspired me a great deal;
    it was certainly one of the better Shrapnel albums.

13. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Thanks for sharing that. Amazing work. and speaking of Holdsworth, where's the new album?

14. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Never even heard of it, tho I have always been terrible at learning from books

A true musical Alien.

15. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

We're still waiting for the rest of the tracks from his Pledge campaign to be delivered.(so far we've received ONE) Every update is basically the same: either "Allan is a perfectionist, and can't be rushed" or "Allan is still having medical issues".
    As far as the other album that he was supposedly going to record, i don't expect to ever see it started, much less completed and released.