Shred Guitars - SSH vs HH

JVIoneyman

I was thinking about buying a Jackson Soloist and I am debating between the two models SL1 (SSH) and SL2H (HH). For some reason I am drawn to the SL1 (SSH), even though I think I could use a neck humbucker. I think it just seems more original.

Here the thing though. Do any shredders play with SSH guitars? Why would they need the single coils? Basically, if this guitar is for only shred music, would the single coils benefit me at all, or would I really be better off just buying the dual humbucker model?

suhrbrutal

I have a double hum Suhr Modern that has GREAT single coil splits with a 5-way switch. I prefer a Hum in the neck for upper neck playing, but the single coil split is perfect for bluesy, clean playing.

SteveO

If you go SSH you can put a mini 'bucker in the neck and have both options available.

Look at guys like Paul Gilbert. Uses a lot of single coil guitars to avoid some of the muddiness of HB. In fact, a lot of the really cool Kramers had that sort of config. Personally, I'd stick a single coil in the center position (HSH). My Ibanez S series has a 5 way switch that activates one coil of each HB, so that sort of wiring is an option as well. Mine is HH, but the new ones are HSH, for added flexibility. Really, that single coil roundness is really nice at times, if you want to clean things up.

moro

Here the thing though. Do any shredders play with SSH guitars?
Just off the top of my head, Ritchie Kotzen, Greg Howe, Reb Beach, Yngwie Malmsteen, and George Lynch all use single coils in the neck position. (Though some aren't technically SSH, since they're missing the middle pickup. And Malmsteen is obviously SSS.)

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
Look at guys like Paul Gilbert. Uses a lot of single coil guitars to avoid some of the muddiness of HB. In fact, a lot of the really cool Kramers had that sort of config. Personally, I'd stick a single coil in the center position (HSH). My Ibanez S series has a 5 way switch that activates one coil of each HB, so that sort of wiring is an option as well. Mine is HH, but the new ones are HSH, for added flexibility. Really, that single coil roundness is really nice at times, if you want to clean things up.
Yes! HSH is really cool and a "best of both worlds" kind of thing. You get the fat neck humbucker, the screaming bridge humbucker and the hollow, out-of-phase clean Strat sounds. Oh yeah, you have that middle single if you need it too.

I have an RG-550 with this setup. I really dig it. It's a refreshing break from my more 'traditional' guitars.

JVIoneyman

I think yngwie Has a pretty good shred tone, maybe I should stick to the SSH so I can get an yngwie type shred tone, and then also the typical bridge tone as well. Does yngwie used stacked single coils or regular ones? The sl1 comes with the Seymour Duncan classic stack. Would that do the job?

Last edited:

buddastrat

Technically Yngwie uses humbuckers (stacked), but the output is low like a single. Give me singles in the neck any day! buckers can be pretty muddy, or flubby, reminds me of the lead tone to American Woman or something. I like a low output single in the neck because it's much tighter, and when you pick, you hear it that clean, precision with the sound of the pick so clean.

Trending Topics