Shuguang EL84's?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by zombiwoof, Dec 23, 2009.

1. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I know that many of the Shuguang (Chinese) tubes have gotten good reviews (like the KT66's), but I've never heard anything about their EL84's. There is a seller on Ebay that sells a bunch of Shuguang tubes, and they have pairs of these EL84's, has anyone had any experience with them? How do they sound?

I also notice they make a true 5881 tube, would appreciate any info on those from anyone who has tried them. Comparisons to the Tungsol reissue?

Al

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If they are anything like the KT66's and Silver Dragon 12ax7's they ought to sound nice.

3. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I have a pair of the EL84's that came stock in my Tiny Terror. They look just like JJ's. In fact for a few months I thought they were JJ's, but under closer inspection I noticed differences (slightly fatter bottle, different getter). To me they sound darker and not as jangly as JJ's. But still sound good.

4. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I ran into a batch of JJ's that were bad. about 4 sets in a row so I decided to try the shugang 84s and I must say I am REALLY impressed. I have shipped a few amps with these and have had nothing but positives.

5. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I wonder if these are the same tubes I see sold at tubesandmore.com as Valve Arts EL84's? $16 a pair.

6. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

TAD EL84 = Shuguang EL84. Folks like them.