Shure Discontinues KSM27 Condenser - MF Sells for $100 Off!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Steve Dallas, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Sad but true! This is an excellent general purpose large diaphragm condenser. Have you ever wished to had just one more transparent mic at 2 am while trying to wrap up a project? This is not a bad one to have! It works well as a room mic, on drum overheads, on some acoustic guitar applications, some piano applications, and some vocal applications.

Musicians Friend is blowing them out for $199. The replacement SM27 is selling for $299.

Get one!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-KSM27-Studio-Microphone?sku=270278

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

3. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Mine is showing up tomorrow! I have heard nothing but good things. I can't wait to check it out!

4. meterman

meterman Member

Anybody know how that mic compares to the CAD M179 or 177 sound-wise?

5. isfahani

isfahani Member

I have had no problems with the CAD mic build.

I found the CAD mics mentioned to have a more than a bit of character, color or what have you... definitely warmer than the KSM27. Which, IMO, has it's uses as a clinically precise or somewhat cold and dead-flat sounding microphone.

6. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I have a KSM27 and have been very happy with it for recording acoustic guitar or vocals.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

The KSM27 @ $199 is a good deal.

The CAD M179 @$129 (frontline audio has 'em) is the GREATEST deal I've ever seen for a quality mic.

I love swiss army gear and the CAD is the definition of multi - purpose. i find it sounds good on most sources and it can sound fantastic on certain thing (like TOMS). Unlike other cheap LD condensers, its got a flat midrange, a smooth unhyped top end and extended bass.

Plus where are you going to find a decent dual capsule condenser with variable pattern control at an entry level price. There aren't many that do the continuously variable pattern at any price.

8. jakespenart

jakespenart Member

I think you meant Front End

http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1637

and they are $149

The following items are included FREE with this product:

1 of HotWires Microphone Cable (25 Foot) ($19.00 value!)
    1 of CAD EPF-15A Nylon Popfilter ($39.00 value!)

Just FYI

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I was a recording engineer back in the day (way back - like when the 414 was a new model). I need a do-everything large diaphram condenser and was looking at the 27. I was also told about the Audio Technica 4040. Have any of you guys had a chance to compare? And, are there other new models out that I should be looking at?

Many thanks.

10. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Kind of in the same line of questioning...is this a good all purpose mic to add to a mix of SM-57 and SM-58 to round out things for a small home studio. I can't afford anything else, so please use that as your control.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

My Bad... it IS front end audio. Maybe it changed but I just ordered another one 10 days ago for $129. You have to put it in your cart before the real price pops up. I received nothing but the mic. However it does come with an excellent shock mount.