Shure Elvis Microphone Repair SS55

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hank57, Mar 2, 2012.

1. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

When I was a young man I got this Mic. It appeared to be a non-working mic but it looked soooo cool. Fast-forward nearly 30 years I have decided it should be fixed. I have built amps and wired guitars and I think I may be able to do this myself but I'm open to having someone else do it.

So the questions are: Do you know any supply stores for for parts for a mic like this? Ever repaired one yourself? Should I have someone else do it and who do you recommend?

Lastly the threads are stripped where is connects to a mic stand. What to do there?

Thanks TGP
    [​IMG]

2. hank57

Wella wella wella bump

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Have you tried calling Shure?

I think you can retrofit an SM-57 capsule in it if desired.

You could call Klaus Heyne-he might do the work or recommend someone who does (not sure if he does dynamic mics). Oliver Archut might also do that work. Those are the top guys.

4. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i've fixed them before, but honestly, i'd call shure service and let them refurbish it. i think it falls into the $50 flat rate scale of theirs. call parts at (800) 516-2525 .they might send you to repair from there.

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I could be wrong, but I *think* Shure makes a modern mic in that "package".

Taylor Swift was using such a device on the Grammys....ain't no way they were using old 55 mics (because...frankly.....they don't sound very good).

If I'm right [and I may very well be full of $hit...], maybe Shure can retrofit this with modern guts, and XLR connector, etc.

But as for having a 55 rebuilt to original specs? Why bother? They really don't sound very good...

EDIT: check it out.... http://www.revintage.se/s55.html Stick a beta58 in there & rock on, big time!

6. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

they do make a new version of this mic that does sound a bit better, but if you are like me, it's a display piece, not a "go to" mic. mine sits on my desk on a nice marble stand.

7. hank57

Very good info people. Thanks for the help