1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Shure KSM-9 or Neumann KMS 105?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DGTCrazy, May 18, 2011.

1. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I curious to what owners have to say about either mic. I'm looking for something "Stage Worthy", yet can perform in the Studio. I sing Rock/R&B/Pop, and original Blues-Rock..(Alto/Soprano)

I can pick up either one used for $350......seems like a decent deal. Currently I'm using a SM-58....so this will be a big step up.

Thoughts?

2. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I moved this to the appropriate topic area so that you would get responses.

3. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

Both are nice microphones. I guess it would be which one sounds best with your voice. Also check out the Audio-Technica AE5400. It has the AT4050 capsule in it. One other to check out would be a Peavey CM-1. It has a smaller capsule than the others, sounds very good, and street price is $129 IIRC. Happy hunting!

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Both sound very good, as do the AE5400, the PR22, VX10, and perhaps a few others. All are of use in only a small percentage of live sound gigs, as they all pick up too much unwanted sound. I'd try an E935, PL80a, N/D967, N/D767a, or OM7.

5. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

I have both...2 x KSM9's (new) and one KSM 105 (used, not working now)...when the 105 was working it was similar to the KSM9, but i liked the shure better (thats why i have 2...replaced the neuman).

6. MickyZ

MickyZ Member

I have the Neumann, and have used it for female lead vocals. It's a good-sounding mic for a woman's voice, but I think has a little more handling noise. I actually prefer a Sennheiser e945 or e935 for live gigs.

7. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

I also have one of each (Neumann and Shure). I prefer the Neumann.

So there ya have it-one vote for each.

I'd recommend going to a store like a GC Pro where you can try them (and as many others as you can). Plug into a good mic pre and audition through good monitors, a PA if you can, and/or headphones.

The Shure has 2 patterns (cardioid and hypercardioid). Be sure to try both patterns-they sound different, I preferred the cardioid). Switch is hidden inside, screw off the wind screen.

Happy hunting!

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

In the reviews I read the Neumann picked up a lot of stage sound, but they said that the leak from the drums was pleasant. Jann Arden used one live, and she had to learn to shield the mic behind her when she would turn around.

9. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

Off-axis rejection is excellent on the neumann. It does take getting used to.

10. DGTCrazy

Thanks Brain.....Old Age is getting the best of me now that I just wonder aimlessly.....:bonk

11. DGTCrazy

Thanks for the relies fella's. I don't have a store near me that carries hi-end mics, so I couldn't test them out prior......but for the price.....I picked up both.

My daughter loves the Neumann....as she immediately identified the superiority of the mic over her SM 58.....LOL I dig them both....but I can see how the Neumann would be something fun to use in the Studio....but not live unless you work with it.