Shure SE215 IEM

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Underoath77, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Underoath77

Underoath77 Member

So...Im getting a kemper amp. And 12 boss stomps..would this Shure Se215 IEm be able to pick up all those moving parts..and translate into my ear?

Thanks

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

Those are pretty low end ear buds. I have a set I use as a backup when my real IEMs give me trouble. They don't do a great job IMHO.

3. PhilF

PhilF Member

What's your goal with the IEMs? Are you just looking for a good silent solution for home? Are you trying to use this for stage? Generally you can get better audio quality with a set of over/on ear headphones as opposed to earphones (in ears) for the same price, but it depends on what this is for.

4. Underoath77

Underoath77 Member

Just to hear all the sounds and frequencies. im at home so it would be plugged into the hadphone jack

5. Underoath77

Underoath77 Member

Maybe im being silly

6. Underoath77

Underoath77 Member

For my playing at home purposes , are u saying these are no good?

7. b80

b80 Member

I have them and they are amazing! I've used them for over 3 years now on stage and in the studio and have had ZERO issues. Go for it.

8. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

I've got a pair of the 215's for my backup IEM's. They don't hold a candle to my 1964 Ears', BUT they are also a fraction of the cost and time investment.

Personally I think if you're just plugging into the headphone jack on the Kemper, over the ear headphones would be better. Will you be running a cab with the Kemper, or strictly headphone use?

9. BigWave

BigWave Member

+1

Unless you really need in-ears, I think you will get a better result for far less money with over the ear headphones.

10. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

I'm a huge fan of headphones (I'm quite active over at Head-Fi) and earbuds and custom IEM's.

The Shure SE215's are an EXCELLENT buy for the money ($100 at GC, and you can usually snag 10-20% off that price in the store or by calling their call center just by asking) as an entry-level earbud.

Why?

They have outstanding sound quality in the $100 bracket compared to other offerings. They come with a WIDE variety of tips/inserts to introduce someone to the concept of tuning the fit of their buds.

They have replaceable cables (which might not seem like a big deal, but it is) that are an industry-standard design.

They're not SO expensive that when you DO move up (and make no mistake about this, you WILL eventually upgrade them) you don't feel like you've thrown a lot of money away, and when you DO upgrade, they're an excellent backup solution and they DO sound really good even if you just dedicate them to iPod on-the-go use.

Yes, if over-ear headphones are acceptable to you, then you'll be able to get better quality sound for the same money, there's no question there. That being said:

For at-home modeling use (and I'm an Axe-FX user, so I understand what you're looking for here) you should consider something from Beyerdynamic ($170-$300) or the Blue Mo-Fi powered cans ($350).

I own a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990 (and have listened to the DT770) cans and love them to DEATH. The 880 and 990 have slightly different response curves (as does the 770).

Something to consider with headphones:
    The 880 and 990 are semi-open/open headphones which means their backs are slotted/mesh and whatever you're listening to WILL leak out into the surrounding room. For some people this isn't a big deal but for others it's a deal-breaker.

The 770 are closed back, which means you'll have a much more soundproof seal around your ears (against both incoming and outgoing sound).

The Blue Mo-Fi's are very VERY highly regarded, to the point that Cliff (the owner/founder of Fractal Audio, makers of the Axe-FX) has raved about his love for them on numerous occasions. I've demo'd them and they're on a fairly short list for me to pick up. They're extremely comfortable and sound VERY nice.

You could consider a set of Shure cans, I use the SRH840 quite a bit, it's a middle-of-the-road headphone, but it's comfortable on my head and while it's not a 'reference' headphone (in that it's frequency response curve isn't as flat as it COULD be) I'm used to them and I automatically compensate for their inherent response. The SRH440's are nice, but they're a little flimsy and didn't sound as tight as did the 840's.

All that said, what're probably my absolute favorite pair of cans for mixing and/or silent practice would be either my AKG K701's or my AKG Q701's (they're essentially the same design but fit/feel/sound a bit different from one another) for their sheer sterility. They're unforgiving and require a solid sound source (which your KPA SHOULD be capable of driving sufficiently) but they're extremely revealing and leave you really confident in the resulting mix/sound.

Hope that wall of text helped some, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or whatever.