Si Sunfaces

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by warioblast, Feb 8, 2012.

1. warioblast

warioblast Member

I can't find a gutshot. Did Mike add ceramic capacitors for some high end roll-off / noise reduction ?

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

3. warioblast

warioblast Member

Thank you Mike !
    My Foxrox Hot Silicon has some. I'd like to build a one knob silicon fuzzface in those small hammond enclosure. And since the oldest pedal on my board is an AM NKT sunface; it's been on my board for 8 years now I think I can call it a keeper; I was really curious to know how you build yours.
    I've just read the bc182/bc183 combo was your favorite silicon fuzzface, what do you like more about it than the bc183 sunface ?

4. analogmike

I liked the combo best because we could always make a really great matched pair that way. But we just got in some really cool NOS BC183 in hermetically sealed individual bags, with paint stripes like the 1969 Fuzz Faces, those are now my favorite silicon transistors for a fuzzface circuit.

[​IMG]

5. 2061X

2061X Member

Mike, can you please elaborate how the 'new BC183' Sunface compares to a BC182/BC183 Sunface sound wise? I'm also interested how a BC108 compares. I own a BC182/BC183 Sunface, that I think is awesome (like the rest of my small collection of your pedals; the Sunface/Sun Lion is one of my favorite pedals).

I was wondering if I should already start preparing the Mrs. ...

6. analogmike

All the silicons sound very similar. The 182 and 183, if chosen at the same gain range, almost identical. I feel the gains of the BC183 make them easier to get a really special sounding pedal without too much noise that can come from super high gains. Hope that makes sense...

7. 2061X

2061X Member

Thanks Mike!

8. shawnpurcell

shawnpurcell Member

Hey Mike,

So, if I had just had a BC183 Sunface shipped to me today, will it possibly have the "new" BC183, or will those be a special order?

Thanks!!

Shawn
    www.shawnpurcell.com

by the way, I have both the BC108 and BC183/BC182 combo si sunfaces (as well as the white dot NKT275 version). There's something definitely special in the 182/183 pedal for sure, although all of them are outstanding!!!!

9. analogmike

yes it has the NOS BC183, hope you like it and let us know how it compares to the 182/183 combo!!!

10. shawnpurcell

shawnpurcell Member

WOW!!! Very cool! I'll let you know asap!!

Thanks Mike!

11. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Question for you Mike...does the sundial have the same effect on the Si sunfaces as it does with the Ge?

12. analogmike

Yes, pretty much the same but you won't get the gating spitty effect out of the Silicon usually, harder to get them way out of bias!

13. shawnpurcell

shawnpurcell Member

Bummer, the BC183 is "MIA"... USPS says "delivered" this morning on the website, but NO pedal is in my apartment office... Already have a call in to the post office to figure out where it is :-(

14. analogmike

That's normal with USPS on Saturdays, it will be delivered Monday.

15. shawnpurcell

shawnpurcell Member

16. Raccoon

Raccoon Active Member

17. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I'm in, I've been wanting to get a Fuzz Face with NOS BC183's in it for a while now and this is just the excuse I needed to order one.

18. gibsonsg73

gibsonsg73 Supporting Member

Mike, gain wise how would these compare to the BC108 Hendrix fuzz, which seems pretty low gain for Si.

19. analogmike

I have not measured the BC108 transistors in the Hendrix fuzz. But you can tell us in the ORDER COMMENTS AREA if you want transistors on the lower or higher end of the gain range as all Sun face pedals are built to order to your specs.

20. Improviser

Improviser Member

Serious question Mike, what gain spec BC183 transistors do you think Eric Johnson would order were he to order one of your Sunfaces?