SIB ‘Cuda—What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SweetClyde99, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I prefer the Cuda but only because it's small and lighter. The Cuda has more gain with it's stock 12AX7 tube.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  2. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I compared it with a BK Butler pedal a year ago. Never tried the rack mount version.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

No, palm mutes arent its thing - the bass isnt tight enough for chugging IMO. To my ears the Cuda has a Mesa Mark or Soldano vibe. I use it for copping Jimmy Herring or Warren Haynes type tones. Its Thick with a ton of sustain but still articulate. Its my go to mid-hi gain pedal beating out my Suhr Riot buy a good amount. The Riot sounds great but its one dimensional compared to the 'Cuda. The cuda feels like a tube amp although its not as responsive to the volume knob as I'd like. The Kingsleys are better in that respect but IMO the 'Cuda can hang with the overall tone I hear in some Kingsley demos.

I have had mine for about a year and Its a permanent part of my rig. It works great with humbuckers or singles. Its one of the few non fuzz pedals that can make a strat bridge pickup sound thick.

Re: The tube driver. I dont know man... My buddy had the rack mount version and my memory is that it was HORRIBLE unless you turned the treble basically off (EJ apparently agrees). The cuda sounds great with every thing at noon. That said when I play my strat I can cop some of the EJ Tube driver tones pretty well - minus EJ's chops. Of course that Tube driver is long gone so I cant do an A/B.

I would love to A/B with an H&K Tube factor because thats what Jimmy Herring uses to get liquid sustain from his Super reverb and I hear that tone from the 'cuda big time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  4. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

I think it’s a really good and underrated pedal. I felt the gain was a little too much for my low to medium gain taste so I swapped out the tube for something with less gain. Sounded great before but sounds even better (to me) now. Super versatile and feels very tube-like.

JumpinBradFlash and sanfi4u like this.
  5. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

Well, I just grabbed on off eBay. I’ll report back.

It’ll be pitted against the Blackstar HT Dist that’s currently on my board. I’m a little concerned that the Cuda won’t have as much gain as I want without an OD before it, but we’ll see once it gets here.

Thanks for all the replies/enabling.

The Villano Dude likes this.
  6. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

I changed the tubes in my cudas which increased the transparency and dynamics.

Last week, after my 1st gig with a new (pro) band they told me the bass player said that that new guitarist has a great tone.
    Cuda into clean Fender combo, Strat or Tele. Perfect Robben Ford terrain.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Figaro likes this.
  7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

I had a HT dist and gave it back because of the crazy amount of gain it had. Went with a HT dual instead. That one still has much more gain than the cuda, and the cuda has more dynamics and transparency. Both are great, but different approach.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  8. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Curious to hear what tubes you used for a lower gain sound. I’ve been tempted to try one of these as an interim solution until my name comes up on the Kingsley list again next year. I’m currently using a Greer Lightspeed and that is good but I wonder if the Cuda might be an improvement..... or not.

9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

I just looked up what I wrote back some time:

"Exchanged the short plate JJ tube to a long plate EHX.
    The result is a smoother, more transparent tone. Tube change is highly recommended. But what a great pedal.
    Sometimes I'll give it a try with a high end tube. My 1st CUDA has a V1 tube from an '85 boogie (that I gave a 12AT7 to tame it). This pedal sounds still better."

So I think I still have 12ax7 tubes in the pedal, but different types (long plate). The max gain with the cuda is not for metal players.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  10. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Seems a great pedal! But since the Cuda is all and real tube, you'll get a jump in clarity and dynamics. I found not a single solid state pedal that sounds like a real tube device. (In my experience) the thing that comes closest at low/medium gain is the DOD Looking Glass.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Not Orange likes this.
  11. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I’ve got a Dual too, but it stays in front of my modeler these days. The Crunch (green) channel on the Dual with the gain maxed is about as much gain as I like to use into a clean amp. I’m guessing that’s still more than the Cuda gets?

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

If I remember correctly, yes. If you really wanna know, I could check this tomorrow. (Must leave now to live record two Bach cantatas...)
    Btw the Cuda gets sweet when pushed a bit by a low gain pedal like the Looking Glass or Flux Drive.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  13. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

No worries. It’s on its way now. I can be patient.

Thanks for your help.

14. DonP

DonP Member

Just got mine late yesterday. Could only play it a short while. Just this into a Marshall 3203 with a MIM strat. So far so good. Work well in front of the SS Marshall front end.

I'll need more time with it, but I was getting some good Dokken / George Lynch tones out of it.

I'll need to try with other pickups, mix in other pedals, try it in front of my all tube amps, etc.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  15. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

IIRC I put a 12AT7 in. I really like it.

JumpinBradFlash and Figaro like this.
  16. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I’ve had a few days with the Cuda now, and this pedal is seriously cool. I have the gain knob pretty high up—a hair over 3/4–but there’s definitely enough for me. It may not be quite as tight as the Blackstar HT-Dist I’m running it against, but with the bass dialed down, it’s working for me so far. The thing just sounds so big and organic, maybe even more so than the Blackstar, though I can dial them in to sound similar. It’s definitely a keeper—it may even take over the main spot in my board.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  17. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I really like mine. I don't always use it - I swap drives regularly, depending on what I'm after - but when I want a smooth dynamic overdrive, it's probably the best I have. Better than the Tumnus on that front.

Lately, I'm more into fuzz sounds (newly assembled board features Interstellar Overdriver, Disnortion, and Katzenkonig), but I'm sure the 'Cuda will be back soon.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Try changing your pick attack and you'll hear and feel how well the cuda responds. Its touch sensitive and spongey like a good tube amp. Less gain when you lighten up and more when you dig in. The only thing its lacking for me is great volume knob cleanup like the kingsleys. I'm going to experiment with a lower gain 12ax7 to see if I can make it even more dynamic.

SweetClyde99 likes this.