SIB Echodrive question

jonny toetags

I recently picked up an older 1 button (pre slam) Echodrive and was just curious as to what exactly the delay switch on the side does.
All i can see is it changes the way the delay time reacts?

jonny toetags

Its a short/long switch that's all.
Tks!
I figured it was something like that. I was just making sure it wasn't an on/off for the tube or something.
I'm used to 3 knob delays.....even the echodrive knob is a bit confusing...it just adds dirt/grit to the delays if I am not mistaken.

Does changing the tube do anything in this pedal?

JVania

Tks!
I figured it was something like that. I was just making sure it wasn't an on/off for the tube or something.
I'm used to 3 knob delays.....even the echodrive knob is a bit confusing...it just adds dirt/grit to the delays if I am not mistaken.

Does changing the tube do anything in this pedal?
Believe me I understand haha. Its sad when you feel like five knobs is too many.. but I'm with ya :banana

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Pre-Slam 1-footswitch Red Echodrive... the ONLY pedal I've ever regretted selling.

Enjoy!

BTW, I found that swapping the tube did make a little difference, but not a ton.

lux_interior

The Sib Echodrive is a bit like a holy grail of echoes for me too, but why "pre-slam"? I've played both, and I don't remember any difference. It was not a side-by-side comparison, though...

jonny toetags

The Sib Echodrive is a bit like a holy grail of echoes for me too, but why "pre-slam"? I've played both, and I don't remember any difference. It was not a side-by-side comparison, though...
I was just stating what model i had in case it made a difference as to what that switch on the side did. :)

JVania

Have you tried different tubes in yours?
I'm guessing it wouldn't make a big difference.
Rick (SIB) recommends 12ax7 JJ tubes, but I get the feeling that it works sort of like this: if you play clean you may want to experiment with lower gain tubes (ie 12au7, etc) but if you play mostly hot (like me) go 12ax7.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Only because I have no use for the "slam" feature, so I searched for a pre-slam model... harder to find than the slam model.

lux_interior

I was just stating what model i had in case it made a difference as to what that switch on the side did. :)
A small misunderstanding, sorry.

I actually want a "slam", partly because it was used in some of my most favourite songs by Homme in Kyuss, and partly because the "slam" model incorporates an expression pedal input, something that the "pre-slam" version didn't have (and also has its own "slam" knob). Now I'll take that chance to remind everyone - again - of that long-awaited reissue... :D

Last edited:

JVania

A small misunderstanding, sorry.

I actually want a "slam", partly because it was used in some of my most favourite songs by Homme in Kyuss, and partly because the "slam" model incorporates an expression pedal input, something that the "pre-slam" version didn't have (and also has its own "slam" knob). Now I'll take that chance to remind everyone - again - of that long-awaited reissue... :D
In all the images I have seen of Josh Homme's board, both Echodrives are the pre-slam one switch version (one of the reasons I bought the one switch version haha). You can see it here:

and here:

lux_interior

In all the images I have seen of Josh Homme's board, both Echodrives are the pre-slam one switch version
You are correct about that, but those ones are from the Queens era. I was talking about Kyuss. I can't be sure that he had a slam version back then, but if you listen closely to songs that have this stoner-y delay chaos like Gardenia, the slam function absolutely nails those sounds. I believe it can be done manually by simultaneously cranking the repeats and turning the time knob to minimum (around 30ms), but you have to kneel down and use both hands for this. I prefer the convenient and quick way that it is done by the "slam" function (which is also configurable by the "slam" knob). If somebody sees any inaccuracies in this, corrections are always welcome.

JVania

You are correct about that, but those ones are from the Queens era. I was talking about Kyuss. I can't be sure that he had a slam version back then, but if you listen closely to songs that have this stoner-y delay chaos like Gardenia, the slam function absolutely nails those sounds. I believe it can be done manually by simultaneously cranking the repeats and turning the time knob to minimum (around 30ms), but you have to kneel down and use both hands for this. I prefer the convenient and quick way that it is done by the "slam" function (which is also configurable by the "slam" knob). If somebody sees any inaccuracies in this, corrections are always welcome.
I don't know if the slam Echodrives were out when Kyuss was still playing, but that's cool that the slam function can do that... good call. Even if they weren't that is a much more convenient way to get the sound haha.

SpaceFlunky

Homme didnt start using the Echodrive until around the Songs For the Deaf era (live atleast). During the Kyuss days he used a Boss delay ( exact one i dont know) and got on on his knees to get the "swooshy" delay sounds. Also, during the LTP tour he started using 2 echodrives, i suspect he was using one for vocals and another for his guitar.

Here is a vid of him using a boss delay. starts around the 1 min mark.

I wish i could have an old Blue Box Echodrive!

fuzzo

We can clearly hear the echodrive before "song for the deaf" , he does a kind of "violoning" effect with the ernie ball pedal.

How cost that pedal by the way ? I remember one guy asked 1500euros for the bleu one . I hope the red is less. and what about the mr. echo ?

SpaceFlunky

Well the blue one was "analog" and the red one is not. I think for the red one it was selling for like $350. The Mr. Echo Plus was/is going for about $180. The reason the blue one is more expensive is because they dont make them anymore since the red version replaced it.

Trending Topics