Sib Echodrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 6, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Anyone try one? What did you think?

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

its a little larger than I care for and the slam feature is of no use to me...
    But its also the best SOUNDING unit Ive heard too - tube pre is hard to beat fidelity wise

3. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i had an old blue analog echodrive. i hate myself for selling it. i got it for a decent price at $200. they're not being made anymore so if i you can find one get one. it was a great analog delay.

i haven't tried the newer ones. so i'm probably no help.

4. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I had a Blue one also..I here they only made 100 of them..It sounded good but man it was big and heavy..

5. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I have the blue analog one. i bought it new in 2000 from 30th Street. It was one of the first 70 made. The first run was 70 pedals even though the word (at the time) was there were enough chips to make 100. I have no idea if more than 70 were made.

I agree, it is a great pedal, and between it and a DM-2, analog tonal possiblities are sufficiently covered. What makes the blue echodrive so special is that it sounds like a tape Echoplex. I have owned an EP-1, EP-3 and have owned several of the Roland Space Echo models. I sold all of them, save the EP-1 for collecting purposes, because this pedal sounds as good (better than the Rolands), and just plainly - it got used more.

My fave trick at the moment is putting a 60's NOS RCA 12AT7 in there. It sounds very smooth indeed.

Another tip - there are several trim pots inside. One of them sets the max delay time. The pedal is supposed to have 600ms of delay. Mine has around 800ms with no noticeable ring tones on longer delay times. It's worth tweaking this trim pot if you have the blue echodrive.

6. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

I have the red (pre-slam) digital one and really like it. It sounds pretty analog-like to me, and is very flexible in terms of settings.

7. overture2005

overture2005 Member

yes. I too have the red one and really into it. It sounds so warm, analog-like. I too have a ML. Before I got my ML, I thought after a comparison between the red Echodrive and the ML I'd sell my Echodrive. The answer is I keep them both.

8. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Jesus Christ!!! $200 ..... That's cheap for an Analog one. The last one I had sold for $1,000. It was a one of a kind but still, the least I've seen one sell for recently was $700.

Personally I prefer the red. The repeats are much cleaner and more pristine. Even though it's digital it's plenty warm and lively. I have both and the only time I use the Analog is when playing through my Twin Reverb and Telecaster. Other than that, the Analog version tends to mush out my other amps and again, just isn't as lively.

I know for certain that Eric Johnson prefer's the Red Digital over the Analog as well. It's a kick butt pedal.

While the Echodrive is my personal be all, end all delay pedal. I find the comparison to an Echoplex to be a bit over doing it. I find the Hughes & Kettner Replex to be more like an Echoplex than anything else. Bigger and more expensive than an Echodrive but still smaller and less expensive than a Vintage Tube Echoplex.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Perfect description. I've got a red pre-slam one, love it. I probably paid too much for it used, but who knows when Rick (SIB) is going to start cranking them out on a regular basis again. I hope SIB goes back into full-time production... great stuff.

FWIW, I use mine kinda' the way Brian Setzer uses his Roland Space Echo (I only use my Echodrive for slapback), I turn the Volume on the Echodrive (which is not the same thing as the mix)to max, further driving that 1st stage preamp tube in my amp, really helps with that Setzer "barely-clipping-very-responsive-to-picking-dynamics" tone he's got. Play easy & it's clean, play hard & it's overdriven. Sweet indeed. My amp will do this anyway, but the "volume trick" gives it a little more push.

10. Nathan

Nathan Member

I'm curous to hear the Red Echrodrive +. I personally own a Blackbox Quicksilver that has nearly the exact same features as the red "ED+" and has only the delay line that is digital. Add to that my Varidrive, and I wonder how different the sound would be from running my QS into the Varidrive (set for low gain). That way, I would be more-or-less getting the digital-into-tube thing like the ED+. Just wondering -any comments? I guess I'm asking if the ED+ is better than the setup I have now....

11. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

Does anyone have any experience with using an expression pedal to control the delay time? How well does this feature work? Can it be easily used as a substitute for tap tempo in order to time the delay to a beat on the fly?

12. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Having owned a Digital Echodrive, and Analog Echodrive, a tube ep-2 echoplex, an ibanez ad-80 original, and a fulltone tte, id have to say the analog echodrive DEFINATELY DOES NOT sound like a tube echoplex. an EP2 is very punchy and maintains clarity on the repeats, albeit warbly and slightly chorused. The replex sounds much more like an echoplex more than anything, however, it is a bit fatter, and darker, while an EP-2 has this "sparkle" that is hard to describe.

An analog echordive is NOT as punchy.. its more like a drastically improved ad-80. more fidelity, headroom, etc.

The digital echodrive is a nice compormise in that its clear and punchy, yet the repeats dont distort and gate-out from the limiter that is in all analog delays.

IMO, of course

13. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I've never owned an Ep-2, but the blue Echodrive I have really shined next to to my Ep-1, Ep-3 and outperformed the Roland stuff (re-201, re-501) hands down. I realize tape and bucket brigade are very different. It's true - the trail artifacts aren't identical between tape and BB. But a lot of that has to do with servicing and the age of the tape, etc. But as far as the classic tube-driven sounding echo goes (forget about the medium), I think the blue Echodrive can retire a tape machine in several cases. I haven't found another pedal that can do that.

Besides which, in between typing this, I went and popped an EI 12ax7 into my EP-1 and it's now very indescribably sparkling. In contrast, I prefer the NOS 1960's Mullard I had in there, but it's dark and syrupy in comparison. FWIW tubes may play more important role than which model EP.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

my old school blue analog is KILLER for cleans, but a little too mushy for dirt. the red one is much more adept for dirt.

15. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

If rick hamel could add an effects loop to the digital echodrive, that only effects the repeats, and have the unit boost less bass and instead add some high end sparkle, i might venture to say that it would be better than any other delay out there! Digital delays act more like a tape delay than a bucket brigate chip, in the way they play back. IMO.

16. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I use this feature quite a bit and really like it. It really isn't a substitute for Tap Tempo though. It can't be done super quickly and on the fly.

17. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

x2. :AOK

18. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

When you use a footpedal to sweep through the delay time, can you do analog-delay-style pitch changes? Also, how's the taper of the time sweep with the footpedal option? Can you really zero in on a certain time, or does the tiniest nudge make a big difference?

19. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Just got the echodrive plus.

Waaayy cooler than the regular red. The repeats have a slight warble, akin to a ep-2. Not a sparkley, but closer than the original red one.

Its a keeper!