SIB Mr. Fazeadalic : any users/comments ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thames, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Thames

Thames Member

Always wanted a Phase 90 style phaser with more control (depth, feedback).. and affordable too !

Let me know if its a good one or no-no :confused:

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I like Mr. Fazeadelic. It has gotten pretty good reviews around here. I like it because it gives me very decent phaser sounds and is compatible with all kinds of od and it is very quiet. I have had some other phasers that added a lot noise like hiss. Mr. Faze is very quiet. The dual speeds are cool too. It is the one phaser I have kept after trying 3 others.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1 cbpickin!

I had one for the longest time... tried many, MANY boutique phasers- you can check the link in my sig to my list of previously owned effects. The only thing I found that beat it was the Maxon PH350.

Mr. Fazeadelic adds no additional hiss, no increase in noisefloor when run before ODs, no volume boost or drop, no clicking with the sweeps, it doesn't clip when hit with a hot signal and it cuts through even the most extreme distortions. None of the other phasers I've owned could meet all those criteria. It's thick and lives in the mids. The only reason I like the Maxon better is because it sounds a bit more watery and keeps more of the high end intact. The trade off is that the Maxon adds a touch more noise when run before an OD. But it's not like others that really ramped up the hiss.

-Ben

4. cbpickin

I just checked out the clips of the Maxon and it does sound very nice! I feel a little GAS rising actually. Did you try the Moog 12 stage phaser? The clips also sound pretty lush and it costs about the same as the Maxon.

5. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Everything Ben said is true. TGP-er applecrisp and I bought Ben's Mr. Fazeadelic. We love it! Thanks Ben.
    For that kind of quality and features, the price is great. We do use it with OD sometimes and it shines.

james

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

cbpickin: No, haven't tried the Moog... there were a couple drawbacks; for one, it's huge. Too huge for me to consider putting on a board, although I know some people do. Another thing is that it's got too many controls for me to deal with. I've noticed this especially with modulation effects: I want less control. For OD's, I want more ;) . Oh, and if you were listening to clips on the Maxon site, believe me, it sounds far better in person!

james: Happy to see you are still diggin' the Fazeadelic! Now you see all my talk of it wasn't just a sales pitch ;) . Glad to see it went to someone who likes and appreciates it. And best of luck with your business!

-Ben

7. cbpickin

The other thing I like about the Mr. Fazeadelic is that it runs off my PP2, regular 9v power supply. I really want to try the Maxon, but I already have one wall wart under the riser of my NYC board for my Maxon AD900 and I don't want to add another.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

You don't need a wall wart for the Maxon PH350.

I'm running it off of my Godlyke Power-All at 9v, and most people are running it off of 9v power supplies, not that 10v thing. Trust me, there's no difference running it at 9 and 10v! It's very misleading. I do wonder how many sales they've 'lost' because of this issue.

-Ben

9. cbpickin

Wow, really? Not even a problem with headroom/signal distorion?
    That completely changes my mind. I think I'm gonna keep my eyes open for one or go ahead and order a new one.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Signal distortion is a HUGE no-no for me with phasers... that's why several I've had that people 'swear by' had to be sold. Shoot- some of 'em sounded like I turned on a phaser AND an overdrive pedal.

So anyway, I run with humbuckers most of the time, and have not had it distort at all. Nice and clean all the way. Again, running it off a 9v daisy-chain.

-Ben

11. seajay

seajay Member

Hey Ben,
    Did you try the Retrosonic? Did it distort?

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yes, I owned the Retro-Sonic.
    Nope, didn't distort. Lots of shimmer in that phaser... nice high end.

I had two issues with it:
    1) I like a rich and chewy phaser, and this wasn't chewy enough for me. More in the Moon Phase camp to my ears. Didn't hold up to overdrives as well as the Fazeadelic.
    2) It doubled or tripled the hiss noisefloor of overdrives that were engaged after it. So, think of not playing anything, and click on a medium to heavy OD. You get that hiss. Now imagine you click on you phaser and that hiss triples in volume.

If I were just playing clean with it (the Retro-Sonic) and wanted that clean, shimmery and subtle phasing, it would have been a contender.

-Ben

13. seajay

seajay Member

Cool, thanks. I run into the same problems with phasers and chorus pedals distorting easily.

I have a PH-350 on the way but have been eyeing the Retrosonic for a very long time.

14. cbpickin

I just scored a PH350 on the bay for a decent price! I can't wait to hear it, the clips sound pretty good.