Sick of All the IR Back and Forth?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by texhex, Jul 8, 2019.

1. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

Just remember, the audience doesn’t care and thinks Greenbacks are what they used to get into the show. As long as what you are playing is a rockin groove, people are going to like it, your performance and the song.

Unless you just plain out sound like absolute crap.

In before “What about recording?” :anon

After all the posts I’m starting to think IRs are the tone woods of the modeling world.

Where is the mic drop emoji?

PBGas and bbgie1223 like this.
  2. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Oh you should really visit a studio forum where they discuss compressors.
    Or discusses about guitar brand (or the endless debate tele,strat,lp,prs etc etc etc ) or guitar pedals, which OD is best?, strings brand or size does lighter guage sound thinner?, amps, cable or wireless? shall i go on?
    Now it is frfr, ir , which modeller shall i use that is on most players lips (not so much in Sweden "yet")
    So if you are sick of this you better stop visiting forum like this.

3. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Perhaps this attitude explains why all the presets on Custom Tone sound terrible.

csweldon likes this.
  4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

This is a gear forum. So, talk about specifics is a given.

Also, if I'm sick of a certain topic, I just skip it.

5. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

At least we aren't talking what thickness of Tolex to use on our cabs

6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

It’s admittedly more than I can sift through. The petty back-and-forth that gets mixed in is what makes it more difficult. But otherwise, no, I wouldn’t say I’m sick of it. It’s an interesting topic to me, and an interesting challenge.

7. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

And yet, in the ‘IR Properties’ thread and without a hint of irony you said:
    There is always the ‘Ignore Thread’ button.

Lele and dressed2kill like this.
  8. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Not everyone gigs. Some people use IR's strictly for recording.

Ni6htWalker likes this.
  9. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

:spit
    F#ck me LOL! That is funny!

But seriously, the ignore thread command is such a crash and burn thing, and it's not what you really want to do.

What the users should have is the ability to group individual posts within the thread.
    I took to copying the worthwhile stuff out of the IR thread into Word.
    It's the only way to stay focused on the subject.

MaxTwang and Fresiki like this.
  10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

No, not sick of it at all. I’m getting better tones than ever as a result of Jay’s thread.

Pedro58 likes this.
  11. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

I wasn't sick of it, but after the past few days I'm starting to be. Both of the new IR threads could have easily been posted in the existing IR thread.

Also, I don't get it. You don't care about the details? Fine, don't worry about them. The notion that things beyond your interest or comprehension are useless is fallible to say the least. The science behind accurate speaker modeling is related to core physics more than taste based observations about preferences in tone. Which is how I percieve the general level of depth in your assertion. Instead of doing measurements and crunching the numbers you want to lick your finger and stick it in the wind to predict the weather. But without number crunching we wouldn't have the weather models that actually predict the actual weather with at least some degree of accuracy (which saves lives both in the air and at sea). Are you saying physics aren't useful, or are you saying that you're happy with the tone you have, or what are you actually saying? The physics that are relevant to sound are interesting to a lot of people. Don't worry about it.

adamquek likes this.
  12. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

And the insanity continues for so many more pages and an entirely new post. Some good info and good drama I guess. Almost as good as AITR.

13. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

How many V30 IRs does it take to predict a hurricane?

14. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

Did you not get the analogy or did you get it and instead decide to ignore my point?

I don't understand the correlation between V30 speaker IRs and extreme weather forecast.

How are we able to predict hurricanes?

adamquek likes this.
  15. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Both of the new IR threads are exactly where the non-technical discussion belongs. Leave the original thread for serious discussion.

ethomas1013 and Fresiki like this.
  16. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

I suppose what I really mean is that since the truth is that science is based on verifiable facts, and the deep discussion of IRs is a discussion of science, the disregard of the facts expressed as, what should I call it, philosophical reasons for not caring about the science is actually an expression of lack of knowledge about why understanding IRs on a technical level could be useful, if not merely lack of interest in science related things. *gasp*

Especially this thread, I actually read as an indirect question - "How can I as a practicing musician utilize the knowledge of the science of IRs to my benefit?" or something like that. That question kinda fits in the technical IR thread, and could be a way for someone of such a persuasion to actually enter into and participate in the thread.

But yeah, I suppose you're right. :)

17. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

I have a gazilion IRs, OwnHammer, Celestion, random free ones, Torpedo cab sims, you name it, I probably have it. I spent over 6 months trying them all every day, finding one that I like and then change it the next day because I have 100 more options.

After that insane process, I just decided to use one that I would use irl (Marshall 4x12 with V30s) and call it a day.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  18. Lord N

Lord N Member

Ah, the old TGP trope that the audience doesn't care....

The audience DOES care.

mbenigni likes this.
  19. twotone

twotone Member

I won't know for sure until I have the opportunity to try some.