Sick of modulation.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Whiz, Dec 22, 2009.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Mind you, I don't have a lot of modulation. But I'm sick of trem. Sick of chorus. Phaser has never appealed to me. Flange? Maybe I'll give that more of a go. Univibe might spark something. But the only modulation thing that is really making me gas right now is something like a ZVex Ooh Wah with tap tempo. Everything else is just boring, or done to death, or cheesey. This is how I feel today. Tomorrow may be the opposite.
    ;)

2. Unadan

Unadan Member

:bananaKeep us posted!

BTW - I tend to like vibe or phase in certain situations and a bit of modulation is generally always on when I use my big box dmm.

3. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

:cry:Tremelo is never cheesey or done to death....

4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

No, for me it's become a tad boring. I think I should try some pitch vibrato to spice things up?
    ;)

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Oh...disclaimer. I still use and love the vibrato on my dmm. But that's the only mod I can stand (right now ;) ). Even my carbon copy (to me) sounds much nicer with the mod OFF.

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Good. Most is way overused. My friend's boss (at a music store) sets his rig up with so much that he says that it makes him seasick. I say the modulation should be felt but not heard (most of the time) and used sparingly. After all, there's a natural phasing that happens just from the rotation of the string across the pickups. Looking deeper into the instrument instead of into artificial adulteration is really the answer.

7. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Octaves. You need moar octave.

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Your comment makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. :beer

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'll admit to liking a slightly poorly tracking suboctave that subtley combines with finger noodly stuff to give the illusion that a dragon is outside the door and waiting for me. I think the synth/filter type modulations of my Line 6 FM4 can be quite nice in small doses but it takes some work to avoid making it sound too over the top or harsh.

:YinYang

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Mmmkay. I'm digging my trem again. Kaden Fluttertone. Beautiful amplike trem.

But I haven't come back to chorus or flanger.

I've never had a phaser, vibrato or univibe before though. Any one of those with a way to control teh speed with an expression pedal just may tweek my nips.

11. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

tremolo / vibrato / or an occasional rotating speaker thing

chorus / flanger / phaser ? almost NEVER ( unless I'm doing an 80s kinda thing )

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

my love is rotten to the core!

13. enocaster

enocaster Member

I almost started a similar thread. I used to LOOOOOVE modulation. I have a Foxrox TZF, 2 high-end phasers, a vintage Electric Mistress, vibe, etc. but lately I can't stand them.

I am loving tremolo, pitch vibrato, and a tiny touch of rotary, though. Guess danocaster and I are on the same page.

14. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

tremolo is the only modulation i use consistently. the swirly stuff doesn't appeal to me that much, although a nice slow phaser is alright sometimes.

15. patrickisbusy

patrickisbusy Member

Modulation is only cool if you set all the knobs to 10.

16. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, I banished all forms of modulation to the pawn shop after serving hard time in one too many Police cover bands

But when Bob Sweet started building Univibe clones, I was drawn back to the swirly side

It was my ONLY modulation effect in a sea of boosters/buffers & overdives and all I felt I needed for years.

After playing an old Magnatone, I became fixated on vibrato. Subtle & organic - a real pleasant change from traditional tremolo, and not nearly so ear fatiguing as flanging, phasing and the dreaded chorus.

So, that's my answer; V I B R A T O

or, maybe, uh.. ring modulation?

17. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I don't use it much...but for guys who can't stand the cheesy and processed sound of most mod pedals, ahve you tried putting them before your dirt?

Instead of the modulation making everything sound chessy, good dirt/fuzz can go crazy and get way more interesting.

18. Companyman

Companyman Member

Flanger Hoax before dirt is tasty.

19. Hendro

Hendro Member

+1

Exactly. "Modulation should be felt but not heard".

20. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Tremolo is nice. I rarely use a chorus and I will occasionally use an envelope filter. I don't even own a flanger or phaser.