Sick of modulation.

The Whiz

Mind you, I don't have a lot of modulation. But I'm sick of trem. Sick of chorus. Phaser has never appealed to me. Flange? Maybe I'll give that more of a go. Univibe might spark something. But the only modulation thing that is really making me gas right now is something like a ZVex Ooh Wah with tap tempo. Everything else is just boring, or done to death, or cheesey. This is how I feel today. Tomorrow may be the opposite.
;)

Unadan

:bananaKeep us posted!

BTW - I tend to like vibe or phase in certain situations and a bit of modulation is generally always on when I use my big box dmm.

The Whiz

:bananaKeep us posted!

BTW - I tend to like vibe or phase in certain situations and a bit of modulation is generally always on when I use my big box dmm.
Oh...disclaimer. I still use and love the vibrato on my dmm. But that's the only mod I can stand (right now ;) ). Even my carbon copy (to me) sounds much nicer with the mod OFF.

Shiny McShine

Mind you, I don't have a lot of modulation. But I'm sick of trem. Sick of chorus. Phaser has never appealed to me. Flange? Maybe I'll give that more of a go. Univibe might spark something. But the only modulation thing that is really making me gas right now is something like a ZVex Ooh Wah with tap tempo. Everything else is just boring, or done to death, or cheesey. This is how I feel today. Tomorrow may be the opposite.
;)
Good. Most is way overused. My friend's boss (at a music store) sets his rig up with so much that he says that it makes him seasick. I say the modulation should be felt but not heard (most of the time) and used sparingly. After all, there's a natural phasing that happens just from the rotation of the string across the pickups. Looking deeper into the instrument instead of into artificial adulteration is really the answer.

The Whiz

Good. Most is way overused. My friend's boss (at a music store) sets his rig up with so much that he says that it makes him seasick. I say the modulation should be felt but not heard (most of the time) and used sparingly. After all, there's a natural phasing that happens just from the rotation of the string across the pickups. Looking deeper into the instrument instead of into artificial adulteration is really the answer.
Your comment makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. :beer

The Whiz

Octaves. You need moar octave.
I'll admit to liking a slightly poorly tracking suboctave that subtley combines with finger noodly stuff to give the illusion that a dragon is outside the door and waiting for me. I think the synth/filter type modulations of my Line 6 FM4 can be quite nice in small doses but it takes some work to avoid making it sound too over the top or harsh.

:YinYang

The Whiz

Mmmkay. I'm digging my trem again. Kaden Fluttertone. Beautiful amplike trem.

But I haven't come back to chorus or flanger.

I've never had a phaser, vibrato or univibe before though. Any one of those with a way to control teh speed with an expression pedal just may tweek my nips.

DANOCASTER

Gold Supporting Member
tremolo / vibrato / or an occasional rotating speaker thing

chorus / flanger / phaser ? almost NEVER ( unless I'm doing an 80s kinda thing )

enocaster

I almost started a similar thread. I used to LOOOOOVE modulation. I have a Foxrox TZF, 2 high-end phasers, a vintage Electric Mistress, vibe, etc. but lately I can't stand them.

I am loving tremolo, pitch vibrato, and a tiny touch of rotary, though. Guess danocaster and I are on the same page.

johnrambo

tremolo is the only modulation i use consistently. the swirly stuff doesn't appeal to me that much, although a nice slow phaser is alright sometimes.

drolling

Hey, I banished all forms of modulation to the pawn shop after serving hard time in one too many Police cover bands

But when Bob Sweet started building Univibe clones, I was drawn back to the swirly side

It was my ONLY modulation effect in a sea of boosters/buffers & overdives and all I felt I needed for years.

After playing an old Magnatone, I became fixated on vibrato. Subtle & organic - a real pleasant change from traditional tremolo, and not nearly so ear fatiguing as flanging, phasing and the dreaded chorus.

So, that's my answer; V I B R A T O

or, maybe, uh.. ring modulation?

LowWatt

I don't use it much...but for guys who can't stand the cheesy and processed sound of most mod pedals, ahve you tried putting them before your dirt?

Instead of the modulation making everything sound chessy, good dirt/fuzz can go crazy and get way more interesting.

Hendro

+1

Exactly. "Modulation should be felt but not heard".

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Tremolo is nice. I rarely use a chorus and I will occasionally use an envelope filter. I don't even own a flanger or phaser.

Trending Topics