Sick of Strat Tone??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rama, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Rama

Rama Member

Do what I did and purge it from your system.

After many years of being a strat player I gave em away.

And I'm reunited with the rich humbucker voice I snubbed so long ago.

I gave away my Eric Johnson and my Players Strat to friends on a motorcycle board...just out of the blue. Those were my last two strats..a clean break.

Diggin my Hamers and a lone Gibson 135...sometimes Ithink it's good to not spread yourself too thin.

2. webb

webb Member

Actually I'm really digging my single coil axes after years of only playing humbuckers. It is a great sound though. Please think of me if you decide to give away your humkbucker guitars:D You're a kind man RAMA.

3. SlipRake

SlipRake Member

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Wish I was your friend on a motorcycyle board!

I truly hate humbuckers, especially with me playing 'em. Bah. Good for power chords and singing sustain legato single note stuff, horrible for funky rhythms, and otherwise totally devoid of tonal character, in my opinion. Far too small a dynamic window, for my tastes. I've never even really warmed up to cleanish jazz neck pickup humbucker tones; P-90's sound cooler, to me. Davey Johnstone and Mick Ronson sound(ed) cool with Les Pauls, not me. My LP & SG's contain P-90's. Strats can sound like other than the generally prescribed tones, and that's one of the things I dig most about them. You can add gain and output, but you can't take away what's already inherently there.

I like strats for rock 'n' roll, teles for most everything else, and as an occasional diversion, P-90 Gibsons. Everybody's different. Just my opinion.

5. Rama

Rama Member

Those could've easily been my words, Tim...if I could speak as well as you...but I'm hearing things differently now and am enjoying comming full circle. It's just making me play differently and that keeps it fresh...for now.

6. Rama

Rama Member

....and to tell the truth I'm cheatin.

Monaco III and 135 have p-90s.;)

7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Rama, doesn't matter what I think, it only applies to me! I've chased tone for a while now, and have choked and chomped on my words at various points (revelations) along the way, and I look forward to being wrong (once again) about whatever conclusions I might have arrived at for the moment.

That is to say, dig it, enjoy. Thanks for a scintillating discussion.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes.

I've never liked the in-between sounds (especially the bridge/middle... horrible, to me) although I sometimes like it when other people use it - but it's IMO the most way-overused tone in the entire electric guitar spectrum - worse even than distorted-bridge-humbucker. My favorite tone on a Strat has always been the one Strat players seem not to like - the middle on its own. Probably followed by the bridge on its own. Strats to me usually sound thin and plinky - I don't regard 'glassy' as a compliment, and I detest 'quack'.

But... I do like the 'chime' element that you can get if you're careful with them, and a little of the tone of the neck/middle combo. So finally I broke down and bought a 3-pickup, maple-neck, trem equipped guitar...

A PRS Custom 22 Soapbar :).

It's everything a Strat is, but is not - and yes, I do have a (borrowed) 1964 Strat to compare it with. The PRS is fat where the Strat is thin, chimey in all the positions (including the middle/bridge), and has no trouble sitting just right in a mix - where I always find Strats weak and lacking punch. I prefer the ergonomics too... the volume pot isn't too close to the strings and I don't keep hitting the pickup switch by accident - which makes a Strat a permanent hazard for me, since the usual 'knock' is from the best sound (middle) to the worst (middle/bridge)...

And I almost forgot, I like the Tom Delonge Strat ;).

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

Back in 1998, I got rid of my two Strats. One was a 1957, and the other was a 1964. They sounded great, but I was tired of the Strat sound. A couple of years ago, I got a Tokai 57 replica, and it is 95% the guitar my 2 real ones were. Still looking for a great rosewood neck Strat.:jo

10. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

My story is the same, but different ;). I have always loved strats, especially the in-betweens, but could never get pickups that fullfilled the tones I was looking for. I also don't like vintage Fender spec necks. I LOVE P90 tones, but had only played them in mahogony guitars. When the CU Soapys were around, it never struck me to try them (I was into humbuckers at the time), but last winter I started looking for a 3 P90 axe. I played a Schecter at Jr's and liked it, but it was pricey, and just wasn't quite right. Fast forward to spring, and I see a used Music Man Albert Lee 3 MM90 on craigslist for a great price. It was also a different twist due to it's ash body, maple/maple neck, and trem. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. It drives like a humbucker, but sounds straty clean. Even the in-betweens sound great. They don't get too muddy.

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I started out playing a Les Paul copy, and my first good guitar was a Les Paul Custom (which I still own as my main guitar). I didn't try to play a genuine Strat type (I had used Kramer and Ibanez super-Strats) until 15 years later. I always had trouble playing them and getting good tones out of them. It was frustrating.

Eventually, I realized the source of that frustration. I was trying to make a Strat sound like a Les Paul! I finally realized that they are two different animals and were never meant to be interchangeable. A player has to accept that and approach the two instruments differently. Now that I've come to that acceptance, I can play Les Pauls and Strats, and now Teles, in the manner that they were meant to be played, utilizing the strengths of each model and not attempting to substitute one for the other.

12. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Every blues guy in town plays a Strat, and while I love the instrument and all the tones it produces, I avoid taking it with me to jams.
    I've gotten very acquainted with my Tele, however!:D

13. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I like strats, but for me the maple top mahogany body with a pair of humbuckers can't be beat. I love the sound.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

In my hands, any guitar with humbuckers sounds like pooh and I love the versatility of a good Strat. I use all 5 pup settings about equally in my Strats but may favorite is the neck pup by itself. However, finding a "good" Strat can take some time as they are all over the place with tone, craftsmanship, and playability. My favorite Strat was an old '64 I once owned and miss it dearly....but my current modern favorite is my Jimmy Vaughan Strat...and it's one heck of a bang for the buck. Play what you like & like what you play ;).

15. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

One trick, or tone, pony. All the big guns eventually pick up a Strat. It separates the men from the boys. It makes you dig down deep, and the rewards are way more satisfying. Just ask Beck, Clapton, Landau,,,etc. I could go on forever. Sure, buckers are good for that thick one shot rock tone. But if you want to be versatile, well there is only one Strat.

CT.

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Love my Tele .. still getting used to Strat tones. I think I just have a problem with the lack of power in strat pick ups in general.
    But with the Lollars in the Mayes Strat I sure get some different sounds then from my Tele which is good (why have both otherwise :) )

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The strat has proven to be a worthy challenge. Bought my '61 slab board strat in '75, have had a love/hate relationship with it since then. Yes, everybody has one, yes some of these tones are overused. However, there are ways to make these sounds your own. Experimentation with amps and settings has really opened up this instrument for me. It's an amazingly versatile thing, that so many players can use what appear to be similar settings and rigs, and still manage to sound different.

It's been a frustrating ride, but ultimately, I learned enough to appreciate this instrument. I'm so glad I didn't sell it.

18. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Not really trying to be rude, but "whatever"

LPs are pretty versatile, you just have to tweak the knobs right and adjust your playing accordingly. I just don't get how people think a LP is a one trick pony. I don't have a problem doing more than one thing with it.

19. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

So many people mentioning 'over used tones'. Funny, but aren't all tones then overused? While there's an infinite range of effects and combinations, guitar configurations are far more limiting. And it's not a bad thing. Is then the 'violin tone' and 'oboe tone' over used in classical music (rhetorical question)? There are no overused tones. But there are 'classical' tones. Different bend on the same tone. AC

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Strat's are capable of a huge range of sounds (as are most guitars) - Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore are a long way from SRV and Knopfler... Plus there's Miles-era Mike Stern, Rory Gallagher, 'Too Loud' MacLeod, 80's Gary Moore, Jimi, Adrian Belew, etc, etc, etc...