Sick of the increases in guitar prices

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jerryr, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

Sorry, I know this has been knocked around here lately but I've had it with new guitar prices from Fender and Gibson but it seems to be everywhere. Fortunately I already have a Gibson Les Paul Custom because I see them now listed for $3,900 at GC.

I was thinking of getting a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (bought two new US Strats in the past but won't pay the price of US models anymore). The old price here in Canada, for CV models, was around $350-$375. Now some places are asking almost $500.

I'm now thinking of maybe getting a 335 style guitar and had a look and the Ibanez AS-73. Last fall one dealer was selling them for $375. Now they are asking $430 and I've seen an on-line dealer asking a little over $500 for the same guitar.

I decided to wait for a used 335 guitar. One dealer has a nice used Sunbust Epiphone dot for $400 and I'm going to look at it today.

I've bought several new quality guitars in the past but will never do it again. I will buy used or possibly really low end models to modify.

I see us reaching a point were all but the most wealthy will be using imported products. Is this just the music industry falling into step with all other manufacturing and exporting jobs to increase profits. I really don't think it matters to Gibson or Fender if we are playing american made or imported as long as the profits are there.

These companies better be ready to compete because there is a growing wave of cheap off-shore products ready to step in.

In the past I have been willing to pay a reasonable premium for US Fender products but they have far exceeded reasonable.

My one disclaimer to this rant is that I live in Canada and our dollar seems to be getting kicked around for some reason. Supposedly our lose of oil revenue is over shadowing the fact that we have one of the most stable banking systems in the world at the moment. This may be compounding the problem.

Hell, I'm 62 already and won't be buying many more guitars anyway :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

prs had a big increase on the usa stuff, i seen alot of people complaining about the fender increase because it was 30% on certain models but alot of those models were alot cheaper than a custom 22 prs,i also checked and certain models like the custom shop 51 nocaster only went up a couple hundred and some models stayed the same, just check last years list from this years fender list. most did go up but not all of them did and not every guitar went up the same %.

i mean a american strat was like 900 and now is 1200 but retail for a prs custom 22 and 24 was 3450.00 plus 720 for a 10top and 420 for bird inlays and for 2009 retail is 4259 plus 900 for a 10top and 530 for bird inlays.
    thats a 1099.00 increase on a already expensive guitar, retail on a cu22 or cu24 now is 5689.00 from 4590.00. since thats retail you can take 30 to 40% off those prices just like you would for a fender,gibson or other brand.

so my point is that fender and gibson werent the only ones raising prices, esp guitars took a big increase and so did ibanez and prs.

3. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

I have been in the market for a new guitar...I ordered a Suhr built to my specs, no compromises. I figure with what everybody is charging for guitars I might as well give my money to a company that:

1. Builds quality instruments (Sorry but the quality of new Fenders and Gibson have gone south over the past 20 years)
    2. Treats their customers well
    3. Willing to go above and beyond to make sure I get what I want

The best part was the guitar cost me what a new Les Paul or PRS would have.

4. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Member

I didn't know about esp and Ibanez, (and everyone knew about Gibson & Fender), but I did know about PRS, and not just their American stuff like you mentioned in the first line. I was eyeing the PRS SE custom hollowbody - korean made - it was 599., it jumped to 715.. I went ahead and got mine because the new price would have just put it out of the ball park for what I will pay for a new guitar.

You know, I expect price increases on everything, but it does seem that the large amounts the guitar manufacturers have jacked up their prices, they do seem a bit excessive.

5. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Dude,

Im tired of everything going up in price! Heating bills, insurance, cable, food.

The good thing is this with guitars:

The market for guitars has went through the roof in the last 5 years. That means that the market is saturated with guitars. That also means that there are many great scrores on new used guitars. Im beginning to see them. Check out Craigs List. People are hurting for money and are selling this gear off. No sense in buying a new guitar. Especially with the price hikes.

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

As much as I hate it, it's the nature of sales. You always have to do BETTER than you did last year. Cut costs, raise prices. I accept reasonably rises, but there's no culture of 'hey, I made ENOUGH money on what I do'. It's always more more more....

Frankly, it's what's gotten us into this mess in the first place with the economy. I can't spin around for a second without another revelation of some form of graft. People don't seem to give a **** on whether they screw someone else...as long as I get the money in MY account.

That goes to anyone who takes government money who DOESN'T need it. Case in point: I qualify for a number of lending programs that are designed for people who can't afford houses, but I don't use them, because I don't NEED them. It's not free money people...SOMEONE is paying for it...your conscience should say 'I can afford it, let someone else who can't get the money.'

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Get use to it, or...or... build your own.:)

8. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

:dudeWell guys I am in heaven again and all is well. I went out this morning to look at cheap 335 guitars. Looked at the Ibanez AS-73 and a used Epiphone dot. They were ok but the controls on the Dot felt really cheap. Then I saw this and just had to try it since I really like some of the YouTube clips I've seen of Dano's. Once I clean of the finger prints it'll be like new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought about getting a Dano Pro but didn't like the poor upper neck access. I've absolutely loved the Mosrite shape since seeing the Venturers use them in the 60's. This guitar has a beautiful neck with clear satin finish and feels much like the neck on my Hamer USA T51 Tele so it's a good compliment. The controls feel really solid and I love the fact that I didn't have to sell any kids to get it.

With those pickups and phase switching there is a wide range of tones available and I intend to use it for clean chord/solo Jazz Standards along with my ES-165. Man that'll look great!!!

All in all one happy ending and who knows I might sell the ES-165 some day then buy at couple more Dano's and pocket a bunch o' money :)

Point about building is a good one. And I've already got a pattern for an easy building project.... just have to pick up some lipstick pickups :)

Me gotta' go play guitar :dude

9. FL6

FL6 Member

I agree but it seems like everyone is holding out to get top dollar for their used instruments. So they might be there, but I can't seem to find good deals.

10. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

A quote from inside Gibson....

"I got a couple of Japanese guitars and took them and hung them in the factory to show the employees what the competition was. What they were up against with a price tag. We could buy that instrument down in Kalamazoo for less than we could have bought the wood."

11. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

i bought a Classic Player 60s strat last april, sticker price $799.99, same guitar model, same store, the current price $990.00. Bad economy or not, thats screwed up. glad i bought it when i did

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

13. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Price increases I understand, but not up to 30%.
    It really is a bit of an insult during bad economic times.
    You want to buy US made, but they keep making It harder, and Its not just Guitars.

14. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Ummmm yeah, but have these companies read the news? Their core base of high end customers don't have Home Equity loans or securities to sell at a profit to blow on fun things like high end guitars.

As far as the 30% increase across the board on lower priced guitars, there are so many forgotten and discontinued models by companies like Fender going for cheap on Craig's, they are pushing people to buy used.

Look, maybe its a brilliant business move, but last I remember, the worldwide fear is that of deflation, NOT inflation. Prices on everything are heading down.

Maybe they figure, hey out core customer will still need 15 Strats, and will funnel the kids college fund towards buying them anyway, so let's make our margins on them.

15. JPF

JPF Member

Exactly. It broadens the demand for used gear, and should help stabilise used prices somewhat. Actually, it's a win/win for buyers and sellers, the former getting a steep discount compared to jacked-up new gear prices, and the sellers have a stronger market which should hopefully reduce the need for selling at fire-sale (or home-reposession) prices.

There are a lot of desperate sellers out there right now. The big builders are doing us a favour, in a way, as though they've formed a "be kind to musicians" cartel...

16. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

Said it before and will say it again.

This is the PERFECT time for manufacturer price increases.

17. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

There are a lot of guitar players out there that will not buy used.
    No matter what the deal.

The guitar companies know this. They also know their market, brand loyalty, and their customer. They charge these prices because they know how to market and play on your emotions to get you to pay the prices they ask.

People will pay for quality. People will also pay for a name.

I think Joe Steeler is right. Now is the perfect time to raise prices.

18. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.... but if you are not, could you please share your reasoning behind this thought instead of just writing it without any explanation?

19. English Jim

English Jim Member

Um... here's a thought: Don't buy a gtr if you feel it's too expensive. Nobody is forcing you to buy. Things go up in price - it's the nature of things. Notwithstanding the current blip in the economy things cost more now than they did 5 years ago and will cost even more in 5 years. Maybe some people were appalled at the price of a new Les Paul in 1959 or a Super 400 on the '30's. Guitar players back then just reacted by not buying. There was no sense of entitlement - nobody was owed cheap gtrs. They bought what they could afford or didn't buy at all.

20. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

Not being sarcastic at all. I really mean it.

Think about it.... who is buying gear these days? not many people. Some have money and buy little, some have a little money and buy a little less than the other guy and the ones that have zero to no money will not buy. Period.

The notion that old money is inmune to this recession (and by the way if you have lost your job or house it feels like a depression) is totally flawed. I know several well to do people that have lost well into the seven figure range due to the stock market taking a plunge and property values going down. One of this gentlemen cashed out and took a "real" loss since he is close to retirement age. Painful.
    It is for certain that the middle class is taking a beating and those baby boomers that have spent some of their money on happy guitar (since we are talking about musical gear) purchases ( i.e. Clapton's Blackie, SRV CS MB, EVH Frankies, PRS PS, Gibsons -all of them, etc.) are strapped. Money tied into 401Ks, mutual funds, CDs are tied into --> guess what? --> stocks.

Anyway, who's buying now? Ans.- not many.

So, while everyone is numb and asleep during this crisis why not jack up prices? some dealers WILL go out of business, some will sell old stock. Some manufacturers will throw incentives ("bones") out there to move stock i.e. PRS giving 5708 pups for some dealer non-moving stock purchases, Suhr offering extra 10% discount on factory built stock units, etc.
    When we all wake up from this nightmare, prices (the jacked up ones) will be there waiting for us and nobody will question them or remember what the heck they were before this got started.
    Never think of fuel prices coming down, deflation of raw materials or lower labor costs (since some are getting laid off and employers are asking employees to take pay cuts, yet working 40 hrs/week still).

On the other end you will be glad you have some cash, out of a recession and be convinced you are due for a treat and pay up.

This is the PERFECT time to raise prices.