Sid Poole Les Paul

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by buchla300, Jan 25, 2008.

1. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Damn! I just got an amazing guitar!
    A 1994/5 Sid Poole Les Paul. Apparantly it was built at the same time as he built a replica of Bernie Marsdens 59 LP and is based on that although the great thing is that Sid Poole wasn't just building replicas. He put his own personality on the guitar too.
    I've owned quite a few excellent guitars in my time, but this is in a different league. AMAZING tone. I seriously can't put it down.
    Sid Poole died a while back, so there won't be any more and that's a shame. I think this get's close to my definition of guitar perfection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. JimH

JimH Member

Man - tried to order one back in 2001 - didn't know he was ill, next I heard he was dead. Real shame, seemed a very talented and respected man. Where did you get it? Searched Ebay ever since to no avail.

3. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

I've wanted a Poole Paul for ages. Same as JimH, I thought about doing it and then I hear he's passed away. A great loss.

As for this one - a beautiful guitar.

4. stuagu

stuagu Member

lovely guitar, many of the pro's use these as you probably know. i had the chance to get him to make me one but unfortunately i was at the "its not a real gibson though" stage in my life so didnt get him to do it ! DOH!
    there's another maker doing these 59 replica's now, refered to as "fred the forger" in guitarist mag number 294 & the quality of his "les pauls" are fantastic.
    i own two & they just so far above anything that the gibson custom shop has ever produced & they cost about the same if not a bit less.
    ENJOY:AOK:AOK

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar...but I'm more in awe of your studio.....I see you have a good ol' Sessionette in there!

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Is that an H/H IC100 in there too? Sweet (pun intended)!

In the early seventies I think Sid used to work at Chappels in Bond Street - where he reshaped plenty of 1959 Les Paul necks........

Best, Pete.

7. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Yes! HH IC100 and actually a Session Rockette 30 (I have a 20 too)
    Can't beat some old transistor amps. I also have a Carlsbro Rebel 8, which is obscene. 2 x 8" celestions. LOUD as hell.
    Vibro Champ, Selmer Zodiac Twin, Bird Eagle 5/25, Pro Junior (on loan) and Laney TT20 for valve stuff.

Thanks P Conway re studio. I love it too. Nice place to work. Shame it seems to suck as much money out of me as it earns, but hey, can't have everything

I got the Poole off of ebay with a buy it now. Really had to sell a few things to get it, but am glad I did. Best buy I've made guitar wise. Wonderful.

Did I mention I was over the moon??

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The only way for Gibson to compete with the high end replicas is to start a masterbuilt series. Retail would be say about $8-9K for an R9RI+. I think you need to have a master luthier build guitars one at a time to compete with the top replica builders. My sig says it all.

9. dwes

dwes Member

Amen! Your studio is absolutely breath taking. :eek: Way to go!!

Nice LP guitar too.

10. JimH

JimH Member

So are these back 'in'?? Still got one hanging around.

11. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Supporting Member

Yes - i know I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised it's in Belgium. How do you like it?

Re: Session - I know Stewart Ward has a bit of a rep for being a bit idiosyncratic, but his recording preamp is really good (JD10?)

12. Dave Bacon

Dave Bacon Member

So who is this Fred the Forger??? got a website. I'm looking for someone that does great les pauls but isnt a gibson

13. buchla300

buchla300 Member

How do I like Belgium?
    Well, it's different! I grew up here, so am used to it. It's great really. Easy to get around, not too expensive (although going up) and lots of nice people around from all sorts of backgrounds!
    I have a Session Rack unit which is pre JD10 but basically the same. Nice things!

I played the Poole LP through my Pro Junior yesterday. Holy crap.....
    Can you say ROCK :dude

Tom Holmes Pickups in it and I don't know how much these contribute to the sound, but they are seriously excellent pickups and the whole thing works great together..

14. RV52

RV52 Member

+1 :dude

15. v-verb

v-verb Member

16. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Yup.:BEER

17. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Yep!

18. buchla300

buchla300 Member

After playing both Poole's for a few days I am still HIGHLY impressed
    The quilt top needed a bit of a setup and the seller said he had hardly played it.
    The flame top has been restrung and just gets better. I think this will be my number one for good. The quilt one has a slightly wider neck which is more modern in feel. I need to restring that before I decide HOW good it is, but it is better than any Gibson I've tried for a long time. The Flame top is better than any Guitar I've played full stop.
    May sell my Les Paul Pro Deluxe as I really want an ES-330 which will satisfy my P90 requirements and
    although I love the Pro Deluxe, I find it hard to justify with the Poole's here.
    I do have a bahama blue 1981 standard which I will be keeping just because it is excellent as well and very rare in that colour, but I doubt it will be played too much with the poole's being around

In short, Sid Poole really was a master craftsman and I really like the fact that these aren't "replica's" but Sid's take on a classic guitar..

19. v-verb

v-verb Member

Great -glad it's working out! How about some more pics of those guitars please?

20. buchla300

buchla300 Member