siegmund microtube. what tubes does it use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by staticinfinity, Mar 9, 2010.

1. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

No other manufacturer is using this tube, particularly circuited the way the DD tube is...Rightfully so, particularly after SD's blatant rip & guitar center marketing, there are issues of infringement. As I said earlier...it's not too hard to figure out what a tube is...markings or not. Do you have any test equipment, or a good eye for photo comparison? If your only point of reference whether or not a tube is working in top shape or not is by plugging it into a preamp circuit, that's not going to do much good.

2. staticinfinity

staticinfinity Member

http://zvexamps.com/tube.html

Good that you mentioned zvex. Look he has a webpage devoted to replacing the sub-mini in his product that uses one!

I have dealt w/ zvex on repairs and no one is better period. Chris could learn A LOT from zvex.

3. staticinfinity

staticinfinity Member

How do you no know ones using it when you don't know what tube it is? duncan has 3 sub-mini pedals and they each use a different 6xxx. I bet one of them IS the same tube.

4. staticinfinity

staticinfinity Member

I'm going to buy 6111 and 6112 because i think those are the most likely. I'll post what i believe is the correct tube here after i have tested them.

5. staticinfinity

staticinfinity Member

I care more about my tone than i care about siegmund's secret tube, sorry. I think all users would benifit from being able to keep backups and service their gear. Chris is just dead wrong about this in my opinion and i won't back down from that . I have a profound philosophical disagreement about keeping a replacement part a secret. It's actually extremely selfish on his part.

6. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Sounds like you are demanding a bit and causing quite a stink for buying it off ebay under 1 month ago. Looks like you even got the older model, which doesn't even have the vents, to allow longer tube life that his current model has. If one of the tubes became noisy as soon as you got it, don't you think the best idea would be to discuss that with the seller, and ask him to cover the cost? Or is that what you did, and he turned down the offer, so you ultimately got pissy with Chris who you didn't even buy the old pedal from, anyway? Cost New? $450. Your cost? $200. How much do you want to bet Chris would have covered the cost no problem if you bought it from him? Stop whining, and present the facts instead of slandering.

eBay auction ended February 21st:
    [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190373651129

7. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Supporting Member

Thesedazes, it looks like Mr. Static won't be able to answer your questions. He's banned.

8. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Ah, that's too bad. I was hoping for a big 'dooohhh! you caught me' reply.

9. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Supporting Member

:roll

Yeah, cause that happens a lot on the InterWebz. :)

By the way, it's probably a 6111.

10. bluetweed

bluetweed Member

Problem is I did purchase 2 of Chris's pedals and 2 amps from him, direct and it still took 6 weeks to get my pedal back/ I was vested in the right way/ I was told when I purchased the pedal no problem it would last forever and if it did not it would be taken care of right away.
    Its sad I had to sell the pedal because without the proper customer back up, the pedals is useless. Buyers direct from Chris should get a backup with instructions. If they screw it up, then let Siegmund take forever.
    Not buying it from Siegmund I agree he can take his time if he is backed up,but buying direct should make his customers a prioroty/ Oh well, live and learn
    I sure miss that pedal (missing link)

11. RNFR

RNFR Member

what a bunch of crap. tubes are supposed to be USER SERVICABLE! they go bad!! all of them!! ALWAYS!!! get it yet?

and if the guy isn't planning on letting you know what his magic tube is, then he should have that blasted in massive caps all over his webpage so that crap like this wouldn't happen. bad business practices if you ask me.

honestly, it's hard for me to stomach some of the comments i've heard in this thread. i think i'll go elsewhere now! bye!:drool:drool:drool:beer

12. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

13. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Apparently you didn't see the recent revelation that the original poster just bought this thing used on eBay under a month ago (a model from a few years back, at that). It's up to the original seller to deal with this, not the maker of the product, unless it's under some sort of warranty. All of this is laid out clear as day if he was to purchase it from the designer (who doesn't even produce that particular ventless case anymore)

14. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

bluetweed, I can assure you the customers are priority. As you very well know, he's a 1 man show. You have to consider his existing instrument, amp, and pedal builds as well as the service on other clients. 6 weeks doesn't actually sound that bad during a busy time. The extra tube w/ instructions is a decent idea, perhaps he'll implement something like that in the future.

15. flood

flood Member

this is ridiculous. i'm just starting out my venture building amps and effects and one of the first things that i thought when starting ANY build/design is "what if i fall off a train tomorrow?" (happens more often in india than you'd think possible). sorry, any way i look at it, not disclosing the details of a REPLACMENT PART is simply ludicrous and unprofessional. it's not like the man asked him to hand over his schematic and gerber files.

i didn't really believe it at first, but it seems there is an underlying propensity for BS in the boutique market.

16. rewog

rewog Member

I think it's irrelevant whether it's new or used.. the principle is that a tube is a consumable item, and as such it should be able to be replaced without an expensive trip back to the builder.
    Imagine if the owner was in another country !

I have to ask 'thesedays'.. do you have any association with the builder ?
    You seem to be pretty worked up and defensive.

17. bluetweed

bluetweed Member

Hi Daze, your a nice guy, but doing as promised when you purchase is actually like a contract/ I buy because, X says such and such, when X does not do this for any reason, its bad service/being without a pedal that is a main part of your rig and tone when gigging is a bumber/ If I was told X would be too busy and take 6 weeks to change a tube I would not have purchased.
    That is the reason he should ship with extra tubes for buyers. I know for a fact that some people purchased extra tubes early on and some where not allowed to. that is not cool at all/ the honest public who buy from and pay his bills should not be punished because of company's that trys to rip his designs/ you know no matter how careful you are, if someone wants to rip, they will find a way.
    In the long run treating customers like promised will always reward. His designs are some of the best in the world, there is no need for the rest.
    Hi is losing more from people scared to buy these pedals because of tube issues, then from people who ripped him off thru the years. Sell the tube to people who have purchased, wipe it clean from markings, who cares, just sell it, be right to your loyal customers, they deserve it! Also double charge for people who purchased used, they deserve to pay a little more.

BTW I wish the best for him/he is a extraordinary builder!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  18. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

There's a lot of people with negative comments with no relation to the product that have under 10 posts...hmmm

No I have no relation other than being a satisfied return customer.

bluetweed, I am with you 100% on the contractual obligation thing. From my understanding, the 'contract' was that you'd be serviced at the first slot opening, which happened to be 6 weeks. 6 weeks wasn't known at the time of purchase, nor was the failing of a tube.

I can tell you right now, he treats all customers the same. Perhaps if you could get a word from Zane Carney, who is one of his most 'touring' users...he has a couple of his amps & pedals on both left & right coasts. Chris has always been staunch about not doing handouts like so many builders do with famous people...Heck, I've heard stories of certain 'famous musicians' calling and asking for an amp or pedal and being shocked that they would get the same response as any customer. Has it cost him business? Of course, but his integrity is in tact...which is the reason I bring this up...He's a man of integrity. How is he supposed to predict the future amount of jobs lined up? Is he supposed to email his clients weekly telling them the current wait time on repairs that don't even exist yet?

Like I've stated before...he claims, and I believe him, that the particular tube has a limited supply. More than others finding the 'tube' which doesn't do much, other than limit his purchasing ability on that tube which he uses for pedals & amps...

I'd say the majority of people are afraid to buy his instruments because they can't hear a wretched MP3 of them, or play them on a guitar center showfloor. Unfortunately, that's the majority of the buying public...admitted gearhead or not. I can't tell you how many times in the early days I had creeper lawyers or bankers want my phone number so they could hear my tone over the phone line...no joke. What the *(#& does that show, honestly? What does an MP3 show? Absolutely nothing. It seems like people get a certain business to treat them like X so they figure since the next business is in the same category, they must treat them the same...That's not how it works, and that's not how it should work. Otherwise we get different sides of the same coin...different flavors of the same factory. I'm glad I deal with an individual, and not a 'rep'...There are certain trade offs, time being a big one. Positive? Negative? Depends on the perspective and understanding of how a one-man show works.

Paying bills? If he was in it for that, he would have bought into the dealers and/or investors that have requested to 'buy his name' while he just sits in the corner designing as they sell away.

19. rewog

rewog Member

I only see 2..

Also, I don't get your point about people wanting to try a pedal before they buy ?
    Isn't that just common sense ?
    Why would anyone buy an obscure pedal that they can't hear or try ?

I'm sorry, but it comes across as though you have a bad case of builder worship, and would defend anything this builder did.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  20. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

Having to wait for a repair is part of dealing with a 1 man show. If you can't handle that fact then buy elsewhere maybe. You can't expect him to drop everything everytime someone needs work done on a used product. In a perfect world I'm sure he'd be happy to oblige, but that's just the nature of a one man operation.

He should sell a tube to an owner of his pedals, but its his right not to if he doesn't want to. Maybe he's worried someone (like me) would try to open his pedal and replace the part and mess it up even more. Then he'd have to do even more to the pedal.... who knows....

You can't knock a guy for having a backlog but yea he could maybe do a little more for the guy, but this guy sounded fired up from the get-go and maybe he was just a dick to chris and he decided not to deal with him haha

Not sure if there even is a 'correct answer' here.... its kind of lose lose.... sticky situation either way it seems to me