Sierra Nevada 2015 Beer Camp Hoppy Lager

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 65DuoSonic, Mar 15, 2015.

1. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

Anybody else try this Sierra Nevada 2015 Beer Camp Hoppy Lager? I was at Trader Joe's the other day and picked up a six-pack on impulse, seeing how I enjoy their Torpedo IPA. It seemed kinda fizzy at first, but it turned out to be really tasty. Sort of malty, with citrus and piney hops galore. Not as "heavy" (if that makes any sense) as my usual double IPAs. Nice 7% APV. Pretty cool offering from SN. Quite refreshing during this unusually hot weather we're having in these parts.

[​IMG]

2. JMP99

JMP99 Member

Your usual doubles have huge malt bills and are typically 8% plus. They may have added some dextrose into this to bump the abv a little bit without adding that heaviness you're talking about

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I thought this was tasty as well. I think its a different yeast strain than they normally use; being a Lager it has to ferment at a cooler temp than an ale yeast (like Torpedo).

4. s2y

s2y Member

I picked up a case at Costco. I was pleased with it. They got my sale when it was advertised as a one time brew. Smart move.

5. russoloco

russoloco Member

I wasn't pleased with it at all and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has been my favorite beer for 20+ years now. Something about over-hoppy lagers I just don't get a long with.

6. dude9478

dude9478 Member

I personally don't like it much. I love lagers, and I love ipas, but mixed together it just doesn't taste right to me.

7. jds22

jds22 Member

Hmm, never tried one. I need to remedy this.

8. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Hops in American beers these days reminds me of what happened with sun-dried tomatoes in the '90s.

Just because something is good doesn't mean that a lot of it is better, or that heaps of it ought to be put in absolutely every f*cking thing.

I wonder if the people who have bought into this over-hopped phenomenon would even enjoy a trip to Germany or the UK--places where beers and ales have been brewed for centuries, and which don't taste anything like the hyper-hopped so-called 'craft beers' in the USA.

9. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Well, it's the current American style of brewing. You may not care for it, but you certainly can't dismiss it as 'piss-water' like the previous reputation American beers held for decades.

10. Bozak

Bozak Member

This is all ******** IMO.... no offense.

I've been to Germany, two tours and tons of beer, and Belgium.

The US is making spectacular beer right now and in many ways has surpassed Europe.

Anyone in the US who prefers a European beer, which has probably been steaming in a shipping cargo hold for months before delivery, over a fresh US beer knows nothing about beer IMO and simply thinks they do.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  11. s2y

s2y Member

The hop phase may or may not pass. American styles of beer have gained some popularity in Europe according to a few things I've read lately.

12. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

typical TGP reading comprehension fail.

show me where I said anything whatsoever about imports.

I very specifically mentioned a trip to Europe. And IMHO--which is, of course all any of this is...an opinion--the best European beers, enjoyed in their native countries, are still miles ahead of their American counterparts. More balanced, subtler, deeper, more complex, etc.

I'm not saying American beers haven't gotten better, because that would just be stupid. Of course they have.

But in the UK, for example, where most towns have a local brewery and you can drink the local stuff in the local pub, it's no contest.

Not really a knock on American beers, mind you. As I said, they've been doing it for centuries, so it would be weird if they weren't better at it.

Incidentally, there seems to be a strange 'contest' in the US craft beer industry, in which the most hoppy, most alcoholic ales win.

I just don't happen to agree with that standard of excellence.

13. Lance

Lance Member

So...chipotle or Sriracha? :roll

14. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

I've tried it and I like it. I've had other types of hoppy lagers/IPLs/etc., and this is one of my favorites of this type. It's not one of my favorite beers out there, but it's a good alternative to an IPA if I want something hoppy and I'm tired of my usuals (Stone, Ballast Point, etc.).

15. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

right, exactly.

and what's with the 10% ABV beers? sorry, that's f*cking wine.

16. s2y

s2y Member

Barleywine?

Actually, the purpose was mostly for transportation and/or cellaring since they had a very long shelf life.

17. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

That's where I'm coming from too. I finished the 6-pack last night and will move on. I'm glad I tried it, since I like SN and this is only out for a short time. Nice change-up from the usual suspects. Back to the Torpedo, Sculpin, and/or Raging Bitch.

18. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

Most breweries now have a go at american pale ales or IPAs here.

As for hop forward, most cask offerings now tend to be golden ales, which can be very hop forward, usually with american/new zealand hops. There's too many of them, as much as I like them. They've really grown in popularity over the last twenty five years or so

19. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I like the super hoppy beers and pretty much all other styles. I am frustrated they now dominate the grocery store shelves, but if you go to a store with a real selection like Binny's or BevMo or whatever, you can find a US brewed example of any style under the sun. This can't be said for Germany and the UK where you can mostly find the same styles they've been brewing forever and nothing else unless it's imported, Germany in particular.

The US, in the pacific northwest has been developing new hop varieties like mad over the last couple decades. New flavors. Not the same old fuggles, kent goldings, and noble hops. Also, completely new beers that don't match any particular existing style. Alternative grains like Rye are used more often. Barrel aging stouts. One of my favorite beers in Cain and Abel from Warrenville, IL - it's got rye, thai palm sugar, and bizzare new age hops. It's awesome. Progress.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  20. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I enjoyed it. I've added a bottle to a few "build your own 6-packs."