Sigh. Broke my guitar last night. UPDATE: Structural repair seems great.

Nsomniac

Picked up my PRS Hollowbody II SE to play last night. And fumble-fingered it - just a clumsy moment. Recovered it without dropping it, but in so doing banged the headstock against the side of a shelf, and *snap*.
Headstock broke behind the nut.

What a terrible, horrible feeling. First time for me.

I do think there's a strong chance it'll be ok structurally. The break was pretty clean, and it sort of runs long-wise so there was lots of surface for glue. It's in the clamps still now. Lots of woodworking experience coming in handy, but it'll be a challenge to repair cosmetically assuming the joint holds.

Anyway, just screaming into the void, in commiseration with all those who have been there before.

And shame on all of you who may have clicked hoping to see pictures of the carnage. (I was too distraught. I'll unclamp it in a bit and show pics of the beginnings of the fix).

Last edited:

KevinD

Unfortunately, it happens (waiting for the anti Gibson crowd to chime in) I dont own a PRS, but I do have a Solar that has a slant back headstock. (Along with a Les Paul) I dread the day I drop one of them. Since I've dropped or otherwise knocked over my strat and tele a couple times both, it's just a matter of when.
Luckily, you have the tools and knowledge to fix yours (as do I)
Rock on my good man, rock on.

Elwin Ransom

Ugh, what a punch in the gut!

I've never snapped a headstock but I've experienced my share of nasty nicks and dings. Battle scars from cool/crazy gigs that come with a great story are one thing, but damage from a butter fingers moment when you're just hanging out at home? Tragedy. True battle scars aside, I'm not a fan of relics so each little chip was a heartbreaker, especially since it's so avoidable. You'd give anything to travel 10 seconds back in time and be more careful.

Maybe make up a cool story to go with it? Like how the headstock broke when you tossed the guitar to Slash* for a solo and he had to club a crazed fan who was bum rushing the stage.
*(or insert whatever guitar hero you like)

Hope your repair works out! Very interested to see the pics.

lifeson1

Supporting Member
Man, I'm so sorry to hear this, it's certainly a nightmarish scene for most of us. Luckily, I haven't been through, but I think about it every time as strap slips off a strap button. . .

Don't mean to be selfish. . . but can we see pics?

TeleDawg

Supporting Member
Do you have hide glue? I'd mix a little of that with Gorilla Glue (that stuff is amazing). I don't know how you would route the two halves perfectly, but a small "bisquit" or 2-3 small dowels would ad strength to the bonded union of the two pieces of wood. ALL just a guess though. A repair main familiar with high end acoustic guitar repair is your best source to repair it. Those guys are usually incredible. Or send it back to PRS if possible. They might have a repair dept.

Bcorig

Picked up my PRS Hollowbody II SE to play last night. And fumble-fingered it - just a clumsy moment. Recovered it without dropping it, but in so doing banged the headstock against the side of a shelf, and *snap*.
Headstock broke behind the nut.

What a terrible, horrible feeling. First time for me.

I do think there's a strong chance it'll be ok structurally. The break was pretty clean, and it sort of runs long-wise so there was lots of surface for glue. It's in the clamps still now. Lots of woodworking experience coming in handy, but it'll be a challenge to repair cosmetically assuming the joint holds.

Anyway, just screaming into the void, in commiseration with all those who have been there before.

And shame on all of you who may have clicked hoping to see pictures of the carnage. (I was too distraught. I'll unclamp it in a bit and show pics of the beginnings of the fix).
I’m sorry, man, I can feel that here.
A few weeks ago I set my pride and joy Takamine against the trundle bed in my studio for a moment, something I never do, and it rolled and fell onto my pedal board. DONG! All there is is a nick on headstock behind the 5th string tuner. I was so fortunate and still wondering if there’s more damage. Hoping your repair is successful.

Fingertangle

Sorry to hear this. If it's any consolation, I repaired a friend's SG after a similar break with titebond, and it was an exceptionally resonate and harmonic guitar afterward. It had been a bit of a dud before the break.

YMMV and all, but there's hope.
Similar thing with a friend’s Martin. Shattered the back. The break was like a fan. Splinters.
When repaired it was a better guitar, by far.

Pleasehelp

I have a Les Paul that broke in the same way about 10 years ago. Very frustrating at first, but in hindsight, I'm glad it happened. It's stronger than ever after the repair and I felt more comfortable sanding down the whole neck after it had this scar, and that sanding made it a much better playing guitar.

Take this as an opportunity to turn this guitar into the best playing guitar you can. It's liberating in many ways.

ChicagoJoe

I'm sorry man, it's a terrible, terrible feeling. It happened to me twice, same guitar, 2003 Les Paul. A few years ago, my first daughter was about 2.5 yrs old, she managed to get at it when it was in a stand. Fast forward a couple years, my other daughter, who was 2.5 at this point... same story, same ending, broke in almost the same place. My buddy repaired it both times and used the same bottle of glue. It's doing great now but I've also insisted we stop having kids.

Trending Topics