Sigh. Broke my guitar last night. UPDATE: Structural repair seems great.

Larsenpeople

I happened to my friend standing in next to a door. Someone kicked it open. LesPaul headstock popped like champagne.

Bad luthiers skills over here, but would some kind of insert crossing the joint plane increase solidity ? (Assuming the joint is close to a plane)

KiddBilly

Broke the headstock of my first Les Paul (just an Epiphone, but only one of two guitars I had at the time) when I was 17. Talk about a heartbreaking moment. Got it fixed but man, I just couldn't stomach to look at the back of the headstock anymore after that. You know, at that horrible battle scar :( sold it not long after that and started fresh with a new SG. I have absolutely babied that thing in comparison to how I handled the Epiphone. And for reasons beyond it costing more.

Hope it comes out alright!

JoeInOttawa

You probably watch car races for the crashes, don't you?

Ok, buzzards, here's the carnage:

It looks probably worse than it is. The blowout on the break exploded the finish off all around the break. I'll eventually fill it and sand and refinish, maybe.
So far it's holding. I've put strings on and I'm very gradually tightening them over a long period of time. There's absolutely no reason for me to do that, mind you, because the joint is as strong as it's ever going to be at this point. But I'm still doing that.
This is an opportunity to mask off the headstock and heel, sand the whole neck, fill it, and refinish in satin Tung oil.

If, you know, that's your thing.

Good luck! It sure looks like you've got a pretty clean break, I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Meriphew

I had an expensive Jackson Soloist years ago that I knocked off the stand twice within about 6 months. Headstock snapped both times. Luckily the tech that I used at the time (he was at Rainbow Guitars in Tucson) was amazing and it looked like new both times he repaired it.

FokenBusker

Picked up my PRS Hollowbody II SE to play last night. And fumble-fingered it - just a clumsy moment. Recovered it without dropping it, but in so doing banged the headstock against the side of a shelf, and *snap*.
Headstock broke behind the nut.

What a terrible, horrible feeling. First time for me.

I do think there's a strong chance it'll be ok structurally. The break was pretty clean, and it sort of runs long-wise so there was lots of surface for glue. It's in the clamps still now. Lots of woodworking experience coming in handy, but it'll be a challenge to repair cosmetically assuming the joint holds.

Anyway, just screaming into the void, in commiseration with all those who have been there before.

And shame on all of you who may have clicked hoping to see pictures of the carnage. (I was too distraught. I'll unclamp it in a bit and show pics of the beginnings of the fix).
Smart move not posting images. You might get reported for posting snaps of a crime scene :cry:

In all seriousness, my heart goes out to you OP. That sucks.

You probably watch car races for the crashes, don't you?

Ok, buzzards, here's the carnage:

It looks probably worse than it is. The blowout on the break exploded the finish off all around the break. I'll eventually fill it and sand and refinish, maybe.
So far it's holding. I've put strings on and I'm very gradually tightening them over a long period of time. There's absolutely no reason for me to do that, mind you, because the joint is as strong as it's ever going to be at this point. But I'm still doing that.
That crack, if properly filled and sprayed with lacquer will become invisible. Find a builder near you whose work you like and ask what they would charge to do the finish work.

Nsomniac

This is an opportunity to mask off the headstock and heel, sand the whole neck, fill it, and refinish in satin Ting oil.

If, you know, that's your thing.

Good luck! It sure looks like you've got a pretty clean break, I think you'll be fine.
Yes, that really is kind of my thing. Something I wouldn't have done if this hadn't happened, but you're absolutely right about the opportunity.

micycle

I feel your pain.. back in the 90s I'd only had mid and entry-level shredder guitars and was ready to try a classic, so bought a gently used Les Paul. My first "real" guitar! I couldn't wait for band practice - 2 days later there I was with my Les Paul, jamming with the dudes and having the time of my life. We took a break, and so did my guitar: I put it on one of those cheap silver tube stands, and as I walked away, blam! The weight of the body caused it to fall forward and the headstock snapped. Complete and total devastation!

My advice is to take it to a really good luthier - I skimped in that regard because I didn't know any better. I had to have it reglued twice within a year before taking it to a spendy but reputable shop. You get what you pay for... Not only has it stayed intact for over 20 years now, but the guy also stained and refinished it at the break; you have to look really close to see any sign of injury. It's still a great playing guitar.

My other big takeaway from that incident: Never, EVER use cheap stands!

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
A good and very longstanding friend of mine has a '59 Korina V (a real one) with a repaired headstock. Looks/plays/sounds like nothing ever happened.

Best of luck with your repair. I hope it all works out.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
My nephew still plays the ca 1960 Wilshire I bought in 71 and later gave to his dad. After I played/gigged it for many years. With a broken headstock AND a broken heel. The breaks happened in two different incidents.

darth_tar

Sorry to hear! I got home from a gig and the headstock on a Carvin I loved had broken clean off like yours, behind the nut. It was in a thick, well padded gig bag for years before the break! Found a repair guy and he completely repaired it, could barely see the line of the break! The guitar still sounded great so I hope yours repairs great! A lot of us have been there! Good luck!

Trending Topics