Sigh.. I wish I can write songs like J.J. Cale...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

2. The Captain

The Captain Member

Is that a Suhr he is playing ? Bit of a step up from the old Harmony.

There would be a reason why Clapton and Santana as well as others covered a lot of JJ Cale.
    Outstanding songwriter.

3. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I think the guitar he is using there is a Casio.

So many people wish they could write like him, but none of them seem to pull it off as well (IMO of course).
    I just want to make an album that sounds like "Naturally"

4. The Captain

The Captain Member

Ah, Naturally !! Good Luck there.
    Continuum comes close though, same gentle touch and sweet but not soppy songs.

5. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

Anyone here heard his album "Number 10"?

I first heard it back in 1994. But I heard it again recently, and tried to find a copy (it's out of print, as far as I know).

But I did eventually track down a copy, and it's great. It's weird, because he seems to be using a drum machine as a backdrop. But the songs are pretty cool.

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

When I finally heard Cale himself play After Midnight, I realized that it was a really great song. :rolleyes:

7. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

Yep, listened in the truck on the way home from work today. Nice
    interview. Didn't realize that he was 70!

--Tom

8. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    That's my same reaction to all his songs. Speaking only for myself, he does them better than any of the covers. Clapton knows a good thing when he hears it.

9. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Man.....We used to play Magnolia...big production,harmony's,extended solo's etc...played it a little straighter and slower than he does...tears in my eyes...sometimes...

10. cram

cram Member

I recently discovered a bunch of old Gplayer and Gworld mags from the late 80's and early 90's that I had. there's a half page article on him in one of them. The article talked about how he toured the country and basically lived out of his trailer/bus and he played down the "use of effect" in his recording, which I thought was funny as the article was written during a time when everyone was all worked up about multi effects and stuff like that in the 80's.

11. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

He's the man. When Neil Young came down to LA from Canada and met Steven Stills and all the guys that hung out at that time JJ Cale was among that crowd trying to make a name for himself but had a hard time with the drug scene of the time and decided to go back to Oklahoma and get his head together. The Tulsa boys in Derek & the Dominoes had been raving about him to EC for a long time which in turn led to him recording After Midnight and around the same time Lynyrd Skynyrd recorded Call me the Breeze and the rest is history as they say. You should try and hear him in concert as his music is so laid back and sounds so simple yet is deceptively complex. JJ weaves a magic spell for sure.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I love JJ Cale and prefer his versions of JJ Cale songs to all the cover guys. No disrespect to Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. I love his laid back groove and he is a very tastey soloist.

13. GregoryL

GregoryL Member

Listening to J.J. Cale before a show has to be one of the best ways to calm any jitters.