*sigh* Reverb woes

Brian N

I found just the guitar I want on Reverb for a fair price. But it has been almost 2 days and the seller still hasn't responded to my inquiry message. The guitar has been up for over a month and I'm ready to buy it, but I don't want to pay for it and then my money just sits there because he isn't checking his email to see that I've paid him.

Unfortunately it's the only guitar out there of the model/color that I want so I'm pretty much just waiting at this point, hoping he responds before someone else snatches it up.

Know the feel?

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
If it's been up for over a month you are likely not in danger of losing it however if it's a fair price and something you have been looking for then just hit the buy button. There is a chance that the guy isn't getting the email alerts that he has a Reverb message. If you buy with Paypal he should get notified by Reverb and Paypal. If something goes wrong you have the security of Paypal backing you up.

fenderjapan

WCW World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
One of the annoying things about reverb is sellers can just leave things up and forget about them. He probably sold it elsewhere. My guess is that if you buy it he will send you a frantic email saying he forgot it was up there. That has happened to me more than a few times on reverb.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
I found just the guitar I want on Reverb for a fair price. But it has been almost 2 days and the seller still hasn't responded to my inquiry message. The guitar has been up for over a month and I'm ready to buy it, but I don't want to pay for it and then my money just sits there because he isn't checking his email to see that I've paid him.

Unfortunately it's the only guitar out there of the model/color that I want so I'm pretty much just waiting at this point, hoping he responds before someone else snatches it up.

Know the feel?
Yes the feeling of GAS is strong.

But i would stop short of that if I did not receive not one message back from the guy - too suspect.

But then he/she might message back and you will be golden again. Either way you will be fine.

Brian N

Yes the feeling of GAS is strong.

But i would stop short of that if I did not receive not one message back from the guy - too suspect.

But then he/she might message back and you will be golden again. Either way you will be fine.
But what if I'm NOT fine?? Lol

But yeah, I'm not pulling the trigger unless I receive a response. I'm thinking about making an offer for $5 lower than he is asking, just so he would have to acknowledge it before I pay.

I've never purchased from reverb before and I wish he would just sell it on ebay like a normal person lol

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
make an offer, the platform requires them to respond in 24 hours. I think you can contact support if they don't respond.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
If you want it and its a fair price buy it. Its that easy.

Worst case, its already sold elsewhere and he will have to refund your money (either voluntarily or involunatarily!).

Brian N

If you want it and its a fair price buy it. Its that easy.

Worst case, its already sold elsewhere and he will have to refund your money (either voluntarily or involunatarily!).
I can think of worse cases, which is why I'm waiting. Worse case than what you described: between posting the ad and now, the guitar fell off a table, chipping the body and leaving a crack in the neck. He signs on to his email after a long morning of binge - drinking and sees that some fool still wants to buy his guitar, and has already paid for it! Not realizing that his ad didn't magically update to include the damage, he drives to the post office to ship the damaged guitar. On his way home, he strikes a mother and her 6 year old daughter with his vehicle. Now I receive a damaged guitar and have to pay for return shipping, and a mother and daughter are seriously injured.

DustyRhodesJr

I can think of worse cases, which is why I'm waiting. Worse case than what you described: between posting the ad and now, the guitar fell off a table, chipping the body and leaving a crack in the neck. He signs on to his email after a long morning of binge - drinking and sees that some fool still wants to buy his guitar, and has already paid for it! Not realizing that his ad didn't magically update to include the damage, he drives to the post office to ship the damaged guitar. On his way home, he strikes a mother and her 6 year old daughter with his vehicle. Now I receive a damaged guitar and have to pay for return shipping, and a mother and daughter are seriously injured.

Or worse yet, the guy could hit a school bus full of kids! Bodies everywhere on the street! And you could be held
responsible!

Just buy it and be done with it, it will all work out.

Summa

If your that overly concerned I suggest you take your coronary care physician with you to pick out your next guitar. In person. BTW make sure you take along a trauma surgeon in case you cut your finger.

Frozen Rat

Platinum Supporting Member
Move on. It's just a guitar. Another will show up somewhere, somehow, sometime, listed by someone. If you wait long enough you'll get arthritis and forget about the guitar.

Brian N

If your that overly concerned I suggest you take your coronary care physician with you to pick out your next guitar. In person. BTW make sure you take along a trauma surgeon in case you cut your finger.
I'm just saying, it could get worse!

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Ok tell us what it is, somebody else here probably wants one and is willing to take the chance that between reverb, paypal, and or the credit card company they will either get the guitar as advertised or get their money refunded in short order.

OiRogers

make an offer, the platform requires them to respond in 24 hours. I think you can contact support if they don't respond.
If they don't respond the offer goes inactive... essentially a rejection. I don't believe that is an 'actionable' thing for Reverb to do anything about.

I just bought a guitar that listed and I watched it day one... asked some questions at the one month mark and got an offer from the seller. Let that expire on my end with some more messages. Sent an offer with some more messages a few days later... he let that expire.
After several more messages back and forth, I ended up sending a second offer (3rd total of the transaction) and buying.

I now have a 59' Gibson (refin Melody Maker... but still, Dat Neck Doe) for right about half his initial asking price.

And Jon... I'm assuming your a member here... the guitar is sweet. Thanks again. :aok

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah - but just think of the sting of that NEGATIVE FEEDBACK you'll drop on him! ;-)

Last edited:

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
If I've learned one thing it's to make a personal connection with a seller or buyer before committing. Nothing is lost by having made the connection, even if the deal, for one reason or another, doesn't go through, and usually it confirms confidence or lack thereof in the individual I'm doing business with. Sometimes I just make a friend, and that's always a good thing. Sometimes I avoid a lot of grief, and that's always a good thing.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
If I've learned one thing it's to make a personal connection with a seller or buyer before committing. Nothing is lost by having made the connection, even if the deal, for one reason or another, doesn't go through, and usually it confirms confidence or lack thereof in the individual I'm doing business with. Sometimes I just make a friend, and that's always a good thing. Sometimes I avoid a lot of grief, and that's always a good thing.
I agree 100%. The sellers aren't running storefronts. Plus I'd like to say I at least spoke to the guy/gal that owned my new guitar before me.

K-Line

Vendor
I sense hesitation in the process from you. Walk away and another will present itself. You are thinking of only bad things so you probably would not be happy with it anyways. I always tell people if the deal is not 100% to your liking, walk away until you find that deal.

stevieboy

Halfvaxed member
Gold Supporting Member
I would simply wait and see if I got an answer in not too long. These are just people, they do stuff people do. I don't think two days is that long, considering it's been up for a month. He may have sat by his computer waiting for a response for a couple of weeks, but after that maybe he went ahead and took that river rafting trip or whatever.

All the things mentioned so far are possible as well of course, and by wait and see I don't mean stop looking elsewhere or anything, just forget it really, if he answers take it from there including the in person contact, if he doesn't you're not out anything.

Trending Topics