• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Sights set on a Hot Rod Deville for my 1st tube amp, advice?

stratbred

Short version:
Considering a Hot Rod Deville 2 x 12, want to know what to watch out for, including:
1. Durability issues
2. Versatility
3. Advantages/Disadvantages compared to a Hot Rod Deluxe

Long version:
I've been gigging for almost 3 years, finally trying to get serious. I played thru a 100 w Crate SS head/ Marshall 4 x 12 and a SS Crate 65w, 1 12" with a MIK Squier Strat with Lace Sensors, Epi LP with Burstbuckers, and Ibanez RG with EMGs.

I wasn't getting the tone I wanted even with a galaxy of pedals and upgradded p/ups. I borrowed a friends JCM 900 / 1960A, and hated the OD channel, way, way too harsh for my taste, but loved the clean channel when it would break up slightly.

I played nearly everything in Guitar Center, and liked the Hot Rod Deville the most. And it was in my price range. I did some research and found the Hot Rod Deluxe is comparable sans second 12" and 20 watts, and less expensive. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to need the more powerful Deville.

From where I have played, sometimes there isn't a house PA available, so the power is certainly a concern. As I stated, this will be my first full tube amp and I know the wattage is rated differently in SS and tube. My friend has a Peavey tube amp (don't remember the model) with one 12" and it shakes the walls with ease.

I want to make sure I'm making a good choice this time around.

tennisplayer

Plenty of them used for cheap. Durable. Great clean tone. That's about it. Will need pedals for dirt as the drive and more drive tend to be called suck and more suck.

Depends on what kind of music you play. Don't rush into anything. Lot's of great deals out there. Certainly lot's of better choices. Oh, it's plenty loud.

I actually prefer the Hot Rod deluxe. I had both a Deville in a 212 and a HRDX. The HRDX was as loud as the deville, more portable, and cut better for me. Both are great, but if your on a budget, Id go for the cheaper one You can always trade up later if you find you need it. And yes, lots of them used, cheap!!!

MartinC

It would be worth your while to try out a Peavey Classic 50. Lots of clean headroom and a great OD channel. Probably cheaper than a Deville.

PittJitsu

If you like to solder between playing, these two amp choices along with the blues Deluxe, are the amps you want. Not an electrical repair fan? Keep shopping. In this economy there are GREAT deals on so many nice non board mounted amps.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I think an HRDeluxe with an extension cabinet may be a better choice. The HRDeville is VERY loud. When you turn it up to push it, you'll be too loud in smaller venues without a full PA. Getting the Deluxe model will let you use just the 1x12 when mic'ing and then you can add a cabinet and push the amp better when not mic'ing. The tones from these amps are better when you drive the tubes at higher volumes.

Guitartim

Also do a little research on the Blues Deluxe. It's a single 12", with 2 very usable channels, 6L6 tubed tone monster. New or used, they get great reviews and are lighter weight and warmer toned compared to any of the Hot Rod series amps.

StompBoxBlues

Also do a little research on the Blues Deluxe. It's a single 12", with 2 very usable channels, 6L6 tubed tone monster. New or used, they get great reviews and are lighter weight and warmer toned compared to any of the Hot Rod series amps.
OR the Blues DeVille!

I have a 410 HR DeVille, used it for years in my band and loved it. Things that bothered me about it were, it seems like a three channel amp (virtual) but I could never use DRIVE and MORE DRIVE with the same settings. Also, if you want to use higher gain, I don't think the HR is as good as the blues.

Reverb. Might not be an issue for you, but the footswitch controls clean OR OD channel, and DRIVE or MORE DRIVE (if OD channel selected). No footswitchable reverb. This bugged me, even moreso because the reverb on the DV is only controlled by a overly sensitive knob (one small move takes it from too little to too much) no switch. If you sometimes want verb and other times not (I do) then it is a bad feature.

Otherwise, great amp. I LOVE the clean channel and mostly used it as a one-channel amp and used pedals for OD. A lot of folks complain about the OD channel, but I used mine low-med gain and thought it sounded pretty good.

I too would consider the Classic 50...Peavey.

nibus

I would heavilly recommend either the Peavey Classic 30 or a Traynor YCV-series amp before the DeVille's.

They are too loud, and the sound can be very shrill. The overdrive is useless garbage. On the up side, they can really fill a stage because of their beefy low end, and you can get some decent cleans if you eq it right.

steadygarcia

If you like to solder between playing, these two amp choices along with the blues Deluxe, are the amps you want. Not an electrical repair fan? Keep shopping. In this economy there are GREAT deals on so many nice non board mounted amps.
Agreed. There are so many far better choices for the same money, just with Fender amps alone. My advice is nix the HRD.

rjbee

One more vote for the Peavey Classic series. Had a HR Deluxe did all the mods including the Omega mod and in the end it wasn't for me. The Classic 30 is now my amp of choice, given my budget.

stratbred

I've decided to go ahead and nix the HRD from the list. Reliability is as high on my list as OD tone, so I'm thinking it might not work out with this model. I don't tend to be excessively rough on my gear, per se, but if there is a flaw such as a chintzy input jack, its guaranteed I'll break it at a moment where I can't have my amp failing.

Trending Topics