1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Signal Generator for Tube Rattle?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Tonefish, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I saw a post on tube rattle that suggested using a signal generator to excite the rattle in order to figure out which tube is rattling. Do you know of any specifics about what signal generators will do the job without causing problems for the amp? I see a lot of EICO 324s out there. Do you know if this will this do it if I get the right cabling?

Thanks for the help, Jim

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

That sounds like a pretty good idea using a signal generator to help find rattles . You'll need one that operates at audible frequencies though , the Eico 324 is if I'm not mistaken an RF generator which I think starts at 150k which is way beyond hearing. I'd look for a different model. I use a B&K I bought years ago.
    Dave C

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Thanks for responding. If I understand this correctly you would plug the output of the signal generator into the amp, wouldn't you? I know that pickups are pretty low output. Is that an issue...does the signal generator put out a similar output?

Thank You Again

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

5. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

That's great !!! Thanks !!

6. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

7. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

8. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and let you know.

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member