Signal loss using George L cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GM1, Aug 9, 2005.

1. GM1

GM1 Member

I tried using George L cables on my board a few years ago and it seemed like I lost a lot of high end detail on my single coil guitars. I'm wondering for those who use these cables regularly, how do you like them and have you noticed any loss?

BTW
    I ended up buying Two Rock cables which are much more expennsive but they do cut down the loss. I'm going to relayout my board ( Trailor Trash board) and rather than buy more Two Rock cable I'd like to use George L's caues they costs less and are more flexible for a board layout.

2. protoangel

protoangel Member

I have to say, I've never noticed any detrimental effect using the skinny black patch leads and fat black guitar leads with my setup: I'm using 6 pedals, and 5 are in series. I'm using a fender Tele with fat sounding pick-ups, but the detail is crystalline with cleaner settings, no mud at all.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

Dont know how much help I will be here, as I dont have much to compare with the George L's. But when I started building my board, I was using Fender's cable as well as some cheap GC cable, when I switched to George L's, I thought a lot of my highs returned. Maybe if I tried something else I would get even more of my highs, but I do not know.

4. monstermike

monstermike Member

I find I lose a little signal when the little screws come loose and the ends fall off.

5. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Check out the new Planet Waves Pedalboard kit. You get 10' of wire and 10 plugs to custom make your cables...I used it on my pedalboard and it looks and sounds great.

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I use George L's on my pedalboard (and have been for at least 3 yrs) and am (my recent acquisitions aside) primarily a single coil & P-90 player.

Every cable colors your tone somewhat, in some way. I've never noticed an *unpleasant* coloration to my tone with the George L's, long or short.

As far as ends coming loose, well - I've never had a problem with that. I read the instructions, followed the instructions, and when I reconfigure my board, I check the connectors to make sure they're tight. Never had one come loose yet.

--chiba

7. realmpel

realmpel Supporting Member

I haven't experienced the high end signal loss but at times had the problem of loose ends/losing the signal altogether...until I read a great post on this board about the best way to assemble them. Since then, I've got the clarity consistently.

kev

8. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

George L cables produce one of the flattest frequency responses of any cable available, so there should be little coloration when using them. When I switched to GL's from typical instrument cables my sound was much brighter due to the absence of the capacitance caused by other brands.

If you're noticing a loss of highs with GL's you probably have a bad connection somewhere.

9. GM1

GM1 Member

thanks I'll check for the post

10. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

If you're using the right-angle plugs:
    Insert the straight cut end of the cable into the center of the plug and then bend the cable into the slot only far enough to be able to get the cap onto the threads. Then let go of the cable as you tighten the cap so it "bites" into the cable at a sharp angle to connect the ground.

FYI - a problem I've had is the cable housing pushing back and exposing the ground webbing so I'm just more careful to make sure I'm not forcing it into the hole in a way that pushes on the cable housing.

11. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

you might want to try the Lava cable solderless set. i've had good luck with those and they seem to stay together better than the george l's.

12. Stringtech

Stringtech Member

Been using them on one of my boards for a year. Have a few fails but easy fix. Will go soldered at some point though.

13. scolfax

scolfax Member

I had the same experience.

Exactly this.

14. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

So you're not supposed to insert the cable into the plug until it stops?

15. scolfax

scolfax Member

Yes, you are. He's talking about when you bend the cable to get the cap on.

If you bend the cable at a 90% angle and hold it there while you screw the cap on then the angle the cap cuts into the ground layer of the cable cable won't result in a stable connection. When someone complains about a flaky George L connection this is probably the easiest mistake to make.

Watch at 0:53 here:

I never thought about using pliers though, will try that next time.

16. jpervin

Thanks for that video tutorial! That was helpful.

Last night, I was assembling 8 George Ls patch cables and hooked them all up between my pedals. When I tried the finished board with a guitar and amp, there was no sound, but touching one of my pedals I could hear a buzzing sound like there was a bad ground connection. Gonna have to disassemble the whole board and retest (and maybe reassemble) each cable, one at a time. :(

At least it was only 8 cables...

17. scolfax

scolfax Member

After watching the video, what did you do differently?

18. jpervin

I just now watched the video for the first time and I'm at work. Tonight, I'll rewatch it, write down the steps and check all of my cables one-by-one. The step with the pliers is a great idea.

19. ghostrider

ghostrider Supporting Member

What is the appeal of solderless cables?

Is the only appeal that you don't have to solder them? Because soldering isn't that hard (unless it's on Neutrik plugs!). I'd never soldered anything in my life until I started making cables for my board. It's pretty easy and kind of fun. YMMV.

20. scolfax

scolfax Member

Cool. Another thing that I like is to use a tool like this [ http://amzn.com/B0002GMGT0 ] to get a straight cut on the cable without deforming it.