signal loss w multiple pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by medicsteve, Sep 25, 2006.

1. medicsteve

medicsteve Member

Does anyone have problem with signal loss with multiple pedals. I have 8 in my signal path. 2 dist/od, chorus, flange, phaser,crybaby, dunlop q. I have an extra mxr dynacomp. Would that be good to put last and use it to boost my signal or would a micro amp type pedal be good? How about another type of pedal(boost pedal) just set as clean boost and leave it on all the time? Any ideas? steve

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

A buffer. There are pedals that are just buffers, lovepedal made one for a while. There are also pedals like the Morning Dew EQ that have built in buffers. If you have a bunch of true bypass pedals a good buffer can really help out.

3. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Personally, I like the idea of aclean boost/buffer pedal in your chain, maybe first or close to the beginning of your chain. Also, maybe check out a looper pedal so that you can take all your effects out of your signal path when not using them...that will help a ton! And if you try the compressor, you might wanna try it before everything...after everything, in my opinion, tends to squish the effects' sounds.

Hope that helps. And perhaps also doing a search on here for 'signal loss' or 'true bypass' or something might help. I know there have been threads like this before and some answers from people more experienced then I am. :D

4. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

Using good pedal patch cables will solve that problem also...

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I find that quality cables help a lot but I also get an improved clarity with a buffer as well.

6. albuht813

albuht813 Member

check out the axess bs-2. great buffer

7. bailnout

bailnout Member

Just checked out the MXR/CAE Boost/Line Driver. That is one serious clean boost pedal. I would work wonders at or near the beginning of a long pedal chain. And in the effects loop as a boost for the amp it is tremendous. A friend of mine just took it to a weekend worth of gigs to see how it stacked up against his Xotic RC Booster. He's getting rid of the RC.

8. StompboxMan

StompboxMan Member

The sound you designed is what you have to accept, signal loss and all. You don't play them all on all the time, right? So signal loss is changing as your switching pedals on and off. If 2 or three are your main sound then turning you amp up a little might be the easy solution. Even Jack Orman will tell you buy true bypass pedals when you can.

True Bypass and Buffer Info
    www.muzique.com/lab/truebypass.htm

9. el34power

el34power Member

Well before you start buying all kinds of boosters and buffers. You should look into getting your pedals moded to true bypass or getting an effect loop strip. Your crybaby i am convinced is the worst of them.
    Of course Lava is right as far as good patch cables...that should be a given.

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I notice quite often that certain pedals just don't work together well.
    It sometimes is the way they are grounded, like Fuzz pedals tend to be positive vs. negatively grounded?? But yah some pedals just don't work together well.
    As for overall signal loss, I don't get any if all pedals are off since they are all true bypass.