1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Signal problem: Need help from you sound experts

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Little_Wing, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

First i'll explain the setup that I had. My amps go into a Mackie Mix5 and I had it plugged into my Soundblaster Live sound card which worked great for playing through my 5.1 system. The Soundblaster has recording software and gave me sound for my TV and ipod which is where my backing tracks are.

This worked great until my computer quit. So in order to get away from relying on sound cards, I bought a complete 5.1 system. It has RCA in but no 1/4 inch in. I used 2 1/4 male - RCA female adapters on the mixer and connected to the receiver. My ipod is plugged into the mixer.

Now the problem. My guitar signal is delayed by a fraction of a second. Enough to throw off my playing. When I plugged my headphones into the mixer it was fine, so I tried a 1/4 headphone extension and an adapter to RCA but the same thing happens.

Is there something I can do about this? I really like having my guitar and backing tracks coming out of the same place.

2. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

So you got rid of the computer and now you have audio delay problems?
    Amazing, usually it's the other way around.

3. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Is there a dialog sync setting in your receiver's menu? You migh want to play with that.

4. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Thanks but i've solved the problem. It was right under my nose all the time. When my pc went kaput, I dragged my old Panasonic all in one stereo out of mothballs and used it for my backing tracks while playing through my amp speaker. It never occurred to me to try plugging my mixer into it. It did occur to me however, that the same problem might happen. It didn't. The old Panasonic has a new lease on life as my PA. For recording, i'll get a hand held recorder like the Tascams and plug it into my mixer.

It was a great sound card. It really tied the system together.

griggsterr likes this.